View Poll Results: What is your instinct stacking?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • sp/sx

22 23.16%
  • sx/sp

26 27.37%
  • so/sx

11 11.58%
  • sx/so

16 16.84%
  • sp/so

11 11.58%
  • so/sp

3 3.16%
  • not certain or don't know

6 6.32%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: +Instinctual Variant Survey

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Default +Instinctual Variant Survey

just curious what everyone types themselves as...

Edit: a few references for those who don't know their stacking:
    Tests:
    Reading material:

Prevalence of stackings:

Assuming equal distributions, the prevalence of each stacking should be approximately 16% with each x-last grouping adding up to 33%.

This poll (78 votes counted)
    Sp/Sx - 25% : Sx/Sp - 32%
    So/Sx - 11.5% : Sx/So - 16.5%
    Sp/So - 11.5% : So/Sp - 2.5%

My own typings of forum members only (~120 entrees)
    Sp/Sx - 16.7% : Sx/Sp - 12.0%
    So/Sx - 14.3% : Sx/So - 15.1%
    Sp/So - 23.0% : So/Sp - 19.0%

My typings of forum members + typings of people I know irl (~200 typings)
    Sp/Sx - 19% : Sx/Sp - 14%
    So/Sx - 17% : Sx/So - 14%
    Sp/So - 19% : So/Sp - 17%

Forum poll distributions:
    SO-last - 57%
    SP-last - 29%
    SX-last - 14%

Distributions from my typings of forum members:
    SO-last - 29%
    SP-last - 29%
    SX-last - 42%

Distributions from my typings of forum members + people from irl:
    SO-last - 33%
    SP-last - 31%
    SX-last - 36%

The forum poll shows a clear preference for soc-last typings, particularly sx/sp, which is perhaps reflecting the same trend as was noted in Enneagram Institute workshops: "It was mentioned that many people who thought they were soc-last, later find out they are soc-middle or soc-first once they actually understand the instinct." Thus the soc-last stackings are initially over-typed, when the social instinct is misunderstood.
    Last edited by silke; 01-24-2015 at 10:52 PM.

TIM
    SEE-Fi 9w1 so/sx
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the vast majority of people type sp/sx or sx/sp.
    The sx-lasts are deemed creepy in the composite image threads Galen has made.
    And I would hide my face in you and you would hide your face in me, and nobody would ever see us any more.

TIM
    Ne-LII, 5w6
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did not read so much about the whole instinct stacking stuff, but I guess it would be sp/so.
    „Man can do what he wants but he cannot want what he wants.“
    – Arthur Schopenhauer

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

sp/sx might work best but there's so much it-could-go-either-way-ness that i think it might just be most pragmatically/accurately descriptive to say "so-last"

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theres something odd going on in that sx/sp box.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Theres something odd going on in that sx/sp box.
    what?

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think sx/sp describes me, but sometimes when I read various descriptions of the instincts and their stackings, I question if any of it would actually describe me.

Basically, I tend to jump in fully into a project, a relationship, a course, whatever. I'm sure and confident and positive that this is the route I want to go into. But then soon after jumping in I start questioning it, questioning myself, etc. I start reigning myself in, pulling back, trying to disengage from the emotions and obsessive thoughts, until I've pulled back so far that I have difficulty re-engaging into it. My attention turns towards something else, and the whole cycle repeats with something/someone new. My house is littered with project resources left over from these attempts.

To me, sx/sp seems to describe this cycle. But then I read descriptions about sx wanting to become one with a desired one, and my skin crawls at the mere thought. It's a similar feeling as when I consider the spiritual melting pot after life idea, where supposedly our spirits will become one with The One, and disentigration of ego. The mere idea freaks me out, even though I am trying to reconcile with it (it just won't be in THIS life, heh).

The later thing is something I tend to, rightly or wrongly, associate with so descriptions.

Basically, ultimately, I am unsure. But so far sx/sp seems the best fit.
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do find that most enneasites have a disproportionate amount of followers who self-type as Sx/Sp. Regardless of how true this is, I do find that there's some sort of impression about Sx/Sps as the "cool" type that people secretly want to aspire to (projection ololol).

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Galen View Post
    I do find that most enneasites have a disproportionate amount of followers who self-type as Sx/Sp. Regardless of how true this is, I do find that there's some sort of impression about Sx/Sps as the "cool" type that people secretly want to aspire to (projection ololol).
    I identify as sx/sp and I don't think it's "cool" at all. I think sx/so would be cooler cause then you wouldn't contain the sx in that conflicted way, you'd release the energy, or sx last would be nice. More stable and peaceful.

My test results on the first test silke listed were:
    sx %62
    so %30
    sp %38

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elina View Post
    I identify as sx/sp and I don't think it's "cool" at all. I think sx/so would be cooler cause then you wouldn't contain the sx in that conflicted way, you'd release the energy, or sx last would be nice. More stable and peaceful.
    I think many people's gravitation towards sx/sp had to do with misconceptions about what it means to be social and what it means to be sexual. I even mistyped as that once upon a time, lol. I think it's natural for people to gravitate towards sexual first and social last especially in the beginning. It's the most common way I see people type themselves online. Not sure if people find it the coolest though but I could see it. The whole broody, romantic, intense, passionate, sexual, yaddayadda.

My test results on the first test silke listed were:
    sx %62
    so %30
    sp %38
    sx 66%
    so 54%
    sp 26%

I think the tests can be skewed by being a certain type (like 4s may score higher on sx, 5's with sp, etc). And the score is just based off of what the test maker assigned to those instincts which seem pretty simplistic. A lot of the social questions seem better suited for so/sp than so/sx. I've never scored as so/sx on any of these tests but I could still be one and the results could be influenced by whatever core type I am, you know?

Here's another instinctual test for those interested that I haven't seen posted here. It gives you 36 situations and three responses towards them and you get to rank each response by 0-3. I still don't get so/sx though but you guys may be interested in it.

Last results from it: Sx: 88, SO: 47, SP: 39

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ollyx2OxenFree View Post
    I think many people's gravitation towards sx/sp had to do with misconceptions about what it means to be social and what it means to be sexual. I even mistyped as that once upon a time, lol. I think it's natural for people to gravitate towards sexual first and social last especially in the beginning. It's the most common way I see people type themselves online. Not sure if people find it the coolest though but I could see it. The whole broody, romantic, intense, passionate, sexual, yaddayadda.
    Another trouble is that "intense" and "passionate" don't mean anything without knowing what to compare it to. A random sp/so's might see his/her base state as "passionate" from a subjective perspective, but that sort of intensity lives on a totally different plane from the Sx-primary. It's the problem with intellectualizing an experiential observation. Too much qualia that goes unnamed and glossed over.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another trouble is that "intense" and "passionate" don't mean anything without knowing what to compare it to. A random sp/so's might see his/her base state as "passionate" from a subjective perspective, but that sort of intensity lives on a totally different plane from the Sx-primary. It's the problem with intellectualizing an experiential observation. Too much qualia that goes unnamed and glossed over.
    I used these videos as a reference when deciding my stack, after already relating to sx/sp
    http://personalitycafe.com/type-9-fo...e-9-video.html
    If you scroll down about 4 posts in that thread there's a bunch of 9w8 stack exemplar celebrities and I relate to the sx/sp people the best.
    The soc/sp people for ex, not at all. None of the others much in general.

I also read here how nines' instinct relationship is jacked up in general:
    http://oceanmoonshine9.wordpress.com/nine-stacks/
    The first

Enneatype Nines are out of touch with the instinctual center. Because Nines are of touch with their instinctual energy they have a very conflicted relationship to the expression of the various instincts.

And also out of the descriptions of the nine stacks at that ocean-moonshine link I relate to sx/sp the most.
    I think it does make sense why E9 sx sp wouldn't be manifest nearly as intensely as say E4 or E8.
    Nine fixation wants peace, no conflict, and not to rock the boat, while Sx is intense reactions and urges.
    So I think the 9 fixation dissipates the Sx energy inwardly, instead of acting on it always, because it would upset the peacefulness of the environment.
    For example, I totally feel strong immediate to reactions to people chemistry wise, however if it's a bad vibe that I'm getting, I won't act on it - don't want to create conflict.

I try to be honest with myself and would totally change my stack if I found something else to be true, but that's just what I relate to the most...
    @Galen @silke @Ollyx2OxenFree Tell me what you think about E9's relationship with their instinct stack possibly being jacked up, and those exemplar celebrities at the first link, please and thanks
    Last edited by Ron Mexican; 07-15-2014 at 11:21 PM.

TIM
    9w1 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    I used Silke's model for my typings of people I've seen around:

Syn-flow: sp > so > sx > sp

so/sx - applejacks, Refilculris, truck, Maritsa (?), WorkaholicsAnon, epheme, lemontress, mercutio, Ollyx2OxenFree, narc
    Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    i've updated my instinct typings, added a few members who have recently joined

Syn-flow: sp > so > sx > sp

so/sx - applejacks, Refilculris, woofwoolf, truck, Maritsa, Finale, GuavaDrunk, Narc, anndelise, Timmy/chrisalys, Azure Flame/DJ Arendee, Gummi, adrie, WorkaholicsAnon, thePirate, Phthalate, 07490/numbers, silverchris(?), epheme(?)
    Whoa, I just saw these. Surprised to see that I ended up on both of your lists as so/sx. Pray do tell why.... I am most curious. My natural inclination is to think sx/sp but apparently this is everyone's natural inclination, so I'd like to learn more. I def think you're both right that I'm Syn-flow.

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's another instinctual test for those interested that I haven't seen posted here. It gives you 36 situations and three responses towards them and you get to rank each response by 0-3. I still don't get so/sx though but you guys may be interested in it.

This was an interesting test, thank you for linking it.

I was surprised by my results:
    SP 70
    SX 68
    SO 36
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elina View Post
    I used these videos as a reference when deciding my stack, after already relating to sx/sp
    http://personalitycafe.com/type-9-fo...e-9-video.html
    If you scroll down about 4 posts in that thread there's a bunch of 9w8 stack exemplar celebrities and I relate to the sx/sp people the best.
    The soc/sp people for ex, not at all. None of the others much in general.

I also read here how nines' instinct relationship is jacked up in general:
    http://oceanmoonshine9.wordpress.com/nine-stacks/
    The first

Enneatype Nines are out of touch with the instinctual center. Because Nines are of touch with their instinctual energy they have a very conflicted relationship to the expression of the various instincts.

And also out of the descriptions of the nine stacks at that ocean-moonshine link I relate to sx/sp the most.
    I think it does make sense why E9 sx sp wouldn't be manifest nearly as intensely as say E4 or E8.
    Nine fixation wants peace, no conflict, and not to rock the boat, while Sx is intense reactions and urges.
    So I think the 9 fixation dissipates the Sx energy inwardly, instead of acting on it always, because it would upset the peacefulness of the environment.
    For example, I totally feel strong immediate to reactions to people chemistry wise, however if it's a bad vibe that I'm getting, I won't act on it - don't want to create conflict.

I try to be honest with myself and would totally change my stack if I found something else to be true, but that's just what I relate to the most...
    @Galen @silke @Ollyx2OxenFree Tell me what you think about E9's relationship with their instinct stack possibly being jacked up, and those exemplar celebrities at the first link, please and thanks
    Oh, just to be clear, I wasn't challenging your type when I quoted you, Elina. Just wanted to respond to some stuff you said. You know yourself and your experiences better than we do. Outside perspective can sometimes be good too and, since you seem open, if I ever think differently I'll run it by you. I liked Silke's usage of the flows but his impression of my stack wasn't really entertained too much since I know I'm not Sp-first. If you can't see it and understand each instinct/the stackings, don't sweat it.

As for the vids, I watched one with Uma Thurman in it. I could see the sx but I don't really want to rely on these vids as exemplars of certain stackings even if they're from typewatch. I'm not a fan of celebrity typings.

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    This was an interesting test, thank you for linking it.

I was surprised by my results:
    SP 70
    SX 68
    SO 36
    You're welcome. What do you usually self-type as or test as?

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

sx 66%
    so 54%
    sp 26%

I think the tests can be skewed by being a certain type (like 4s may score higher on sx, 5's with sp, etc). And the score is just based off of what the test maker assigned to those instincts which seem pretty simplistic. A lot of the social questions seem better suited for so/sp than so/sx. I've never scored as so/sx on any of these tests but I could still be one and the results could be influenced by whatever core type I am, you know?

I am gonna take this.

Did you link this one coz I didn't see it.
    http://enneagramdimensions.net/artic...ypes.pdf#start

I am a dramatist, wizard, mystic = 459.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    I am gonna take this.

Did you link this one coz I didn't see it.
    http://enneagramdimensions.net/artic...ypes.pdf#start

I am a dramatist, wizard, mystic = 459.
    Haha, I may retake it too since it's been damn near two months. I didn't link the 27 subtypes chart but I have seen it plenty of times.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

sx 66%
    so 54%
    sp 26%

Thanks for sharing, valuable information.
    The last test gave me Sx(73)/Sp(70) but there is no way I am Sx first.

I also tried the enneagram test on the same site, again got 4w5, well 47 for 4 and 46 for 5...
    So I am either 45X or 54X.
    What is your enneatype Olly?

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

k, took it and thankfully it calculated for me or I would have had to kill u. Pretty good test since there were fresh questions I hadn't already seen a dozen times.

SX 96
    SP 68
    SO 47

Mentally I visualize these numbers as some kinda warped staircase I am climbing.
    Retook it:

SX- 88
    SP- 42
    SO- 50

The SX questions seemed more 4 and 7ish though and SO also seemed more SO/SP than SO/SX to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    Thanks for sharing, valuable information.
    The last test gave me Sx(73)/Sp(70) but there is no way I am Sx first.

I also tried the enneagram test on the same site, again got 4w5, well 47 for 4 and 46 for 5...
    So I am either 45X or 54X.
    What is your enneatype Olly?
    Yeah, it may be the bias of the questions. SX seems to have elements of 4 in it such as creativity, originality, unqiueness, etc. I'm not too sure of my enneatype but I used to identify as 4w3. Have you read about the SP 4 subtype?

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I actually think much of the aversion towards the Sx last stackings comes from your composites. In reality many Sp/sos and So/sps can be good-looking, you mostly emphasized some form of "blandness" and lack of internal tension (energy dynamic) in facial expressions and chose not-so-appealing samples. And tbh your Sx/sp face is something like Angelina Jolie ..you set so high a standard.

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Agni View Post
    I actually think much of the aversion towards the Sx last stackings comes from your composites. In reality many Sp/sos and So/sps can be good-looking, you mostly emphasized some form of "blandness" and lack of internal tension (energy dynamic) in facial expressions and chose not-so-appealing samples. And tbh your Sx/sp face is something like Angelina Jolie ..you set so high a standard.
    Nah, I've seen this pattern long before I made the composites. To your credit though the composites are kind of outdated, and given what I know now about the instincts they could definitely stand to be redone.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

I took a look at some of the typings in this thread again and to me @Allie seems syn-flow at her core. Rat is most likely contra-flow. Both obvious sx first.

Syn-flow: sp→so→sx→sp
    Stackings involved: sp/so→so/sx→>sx/sp→sp/so
    Direction: Compelled toward people. Acting upon and with others as a born insider i.e.- deeply human.

Contra-flow: sp→sx→so→sp
    Stackings involved: sp/sx→sx/so→so/sp→sp/sx
    Direction: Compelled against people. Seething belligerent outsiders; 'antisocial', provoking, reverse-flow change catalysts. In some profound sense, rejecting the human condition, their own and/or that of others.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    Ni-IEI-N 4w3 sx/so
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took a look at some of the typings in this thread again and to me @Allie seems syn-flow at her core. Rat is most likely contra-flow. Both obvious sx first.

Direction: Compelled toward people. Acting upon and with others as a born insider i.e.- deeply human.

Direction: Compelled against people. Seething belligerent outsiders; 'antisocial', provoking, reverse-flow change catalysts. In some profound sense, rejecting the human condition, their own and/or that of others.
    rat is definitely sx/so... completely and explosively dissolved.
    4w3-5w6-8w7

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know what this means but I think I like it.

A dusty and dreadful charade. Scapegrace's Avatar
    TIM
    ill
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wutever. Go all heteronormative on my ass.
    "[Scapegrace,] I don't know how anyone can stand such a sinister and mean individual as you." - Maritsa Darmandzhyan

Brought to you by socionix.com

TIM
    para bellum
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets go to subtypes of subtypes of subtypes. It will be much more transparent than the relatively opaque subtypes of subtypes.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes, let's antagonise him and stone him. War everywhere...

TIM
    Fi-SLE 3w9 so/sp
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sx/sp or sp/sx. I'm iffy about instinctual variants anyway. When none of the enneagram sources can agree on ANYTHING about any of them, it makes me suspicious. I guess I could just make up my own definition that makes sense to me, but that makes me no better than those who use tritypes.

Feeling fucking fantastic golden's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FoxOnStilts View Post
    sx/sp or sp/sx. I'm iffy about instinctual variants anyway. When none of the enneagram sources can agree on ANYTHING about any of them, it makes me suspicious. I guess I could just make up my own definition that makes sense to me, but that makes me no better than those who use tritypes.
    Marry me.

TIM
    No. E9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fuck nuggets. I think it's sx/so after all. Then I read an E9 sx description and osdvn;sefcam I have no idea what I'm doing.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Thanks. According to those... so/sx actually seems to be correct for me. So, I maybe didn't mess up your poll, after all. The thing is, it's very easy for me to accept this stacking when I look at each of these instincts individually. I can think: yes, my greatest source of preoccupation and insecurity tend to be in the social realm: where do I stand in relation to other human beings, what does it mean to be human, and what are the peculiarities of being born into this sort of existence as this sort of hairless ape? Then, the sexual instinct feels much more intrinsic to what motivates me from day-to-day than the self-preservation instinct. I'm much more comfortable one-on-one than in groups, and the source of my depression in the past seems to have been having this need for passion frustrated or subjugated in favor of more "practical" matters.

But the implications of this don't add up when I put them together. When I look at the descriptions in your second link (or many of the varying descriptions on the Enneagram sites). I feel like I lack the apparent disregard for creature comforts or physical security or aesthetic sensibilities depicted in sp-last descriptions. It's not what drives me, however, and I tend to get a lot of flack (especially from my family) for not thinking about "settling down/having a career/getting the whole white-picket fence enchilada." I think that innate drive is what these instincts are supposed to be pointing to, right? But every description of so/sp/sx or so/sx/sp is different. As for so/sp... I think I know the sort of person that fits this description, and they seem quite a bit more politically-motivated and socially-skilled than I perceive myself.
    My suggestion was based off some of the comparisons drawn between these two stacking on EIDB that pointed out that so/sx communication is 'messy' while so/sp is more collected and dignified but at the expense of coming off somewhat reserved.

from: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...inct-scrapheap

so/sx - chaotic engagement
    so/sp - dignified engagement

So/sx is a 'faster' energy, less-planted, less-defined, mentally curious in a capricious way
    So/sp is slower-moving, more deliberate/measured/calculated, 'higher' without coming down, intellectually steadfast

Your writing seems be more measured and collected and less capricious and immediate imo and so/sp seemed like a closer fit.

Quote Originally Posted by anndelise View Post
    Jumping into things has more to do with seeking to be "stimulated, energized, and engaged" which in the descriptions in the links given is related to sx, not sp nor so.

The "litter" is there because of sx and sp. Also because I don't know how to anticipate my future interests. My issue there has to do with planning difficulties and fluctuating energy levels. My home drives me nuts, and is one of a few reasons why I daydream of running away from it. I am also Neurotic, and the unhealthy sp shows up quite well in that sense. I see no conflict between the 'litter' and me being sx/sp with NeFi, (nor with general Ep temperament).
    I suggested so/sx because your descriptions reminded me a whole lot of my roommate who is Fi-IEE so/sx (I have discussed it with her and she agrees to this typing). She will jump into several things but not finish most of them and leave the 'mess' around to deal with at later time, which I have ascribed to EP temperament and scattered nature of sx-secondary (she doesn't have any mood disorders). Sx/sp are described to have a more laser-like, concentrated focus so they generally don't come off as scattered as so/sx's. One of the posters on EIDB wrote up these correlations:

Sp last - messy, scattered
    So last - dirty, uncouth
    Sx last - clean, parched

Also, I tend to test sp first.
    I know that sp descriptions play quite strongly in my attitudes, actions, and daydreamings. But I'm willing entertain the idea that it's related to e6ness not sp. For me, they seem so entwined that I don't know how to fully differentiate them.
    Despite tending to test sp first, I think the sx instinct is stronger.
    That would make social instinct be your blindspot. How would you describe your relation to it?

Quote Originally Posted by squirreltual View Post
    Fuck nuggets. I think it's sx/so after all. Then I read an E9 sx description and osdvn;sefcam I have no idea what I'm doing.
    one thing I didn't mention last time is that you reminded me somewhat of Aquagraph that's why I went with sx/so but then on a photo you posted you VI'ed more so/sp-like

TIM
    IEE 649 sx/sp cp
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    I suggested so/sx because your descriptions reminded me a whole lot of my roommate who is Fi-IEE so/sx (I have discussed it with her and she agrees to this typing). She will jump into several things but not finish most of them and leave the 'mess' around to deal with at later time, which I have ascribed to EP temperament and scattered nature of sx-secondary (she doesn't have any mood disorders). Sx/sp are described to have a more laser-like, concentrated focus so they generally don't come off as scattered as so/sx's. One of the posters on EIDB wrote up these correlations:

Sp last - messy, scattered
    So last - dirty, uncouth
    Sx last - clean, parched

That would make social instinct be your blindspot. How would you describe your relation to it?
    I openly admit that I don't grasp the ennegram. As such I feel uncomfortable arguing for or against anything. Espeially when dealing with multiple different descriptions that don't really seem to connect with each other, nor arise out of a consistent set of principles.

I think the better method for me to figure out my enneatype/instincts is to maybe go through things like the test questions and give my thoughts on those and why I answered the way I did. So, the following video covers the first 11 questions from the similarminds.com test. If i'm asked to do the rest, I will consider doing so. But I doubt my enneatype is interesting enough to anyone else but me, and I'd be surprised if anyone listens to the whole video.

IEE 649 sx/sp cp

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by siuntal View Post
    My suggestion was based off some of the comparisons drawn between these two stacking on EIDB that pointed out that so/sx communication is 'messy' while so/sp is more collected and dignified but at the expense of coming off somewhat reserved.

from: http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...inct-scrapheap

so/sx - chaotic engagement
    so/sp - dignified engagement

So/sx is a 'faster' energy, less-planted, less-defined, mentally curious in a capricious way
    So/sp is slower-moving, more deliberate/measured/calculated, 'higher' without coming down, intellectually steadfast

Your writing seems be more measured and collected and less capricious and immediate imo and so/sp seemed like a closer fit.
    Okay, my first reply to this post was pretty reactionary. I apologize if you read it, lol. I don't know if you're actually going to bother reading through everyone's answers to the questions since you really only posted it for anndelise, but here are my answers anyway because I'm curious about this, even if a bit skeptical like FoxOnStilts. My answers did not turn out like I thought they would, oddly:

Self Preservation
    - Do you sensitively respond to your body's needs? When you experience discomfort do you take care to promptly eliminate its source?
    I try to. I’m reasonably healthy and conscientious about taking care of my body, but I tend to somewhat inept at it. E.g., I let my hands get blistered and chapped, and only really think to moisturize them only when they start to bleed. I find I often let physical aches and tensions accumulate for days at a time before I’ll think to do some yoga or something.

- What is your relationship with food - buying, preparing, eating? Do you monitor your nutrition? Do you invest time into food preparation and purchasing exactly the food that meets your dietary requirements?
    Buying: Somewhat impulsive. I enjoy food, and like to try out many different things. I’m like a kid in a toyshop at the grocery story, basically picking up whatever catches my fancy. I am pretty conscious of my diet, but for ulterior reasons: my physical appearance. I basically eat good to look good, not for health reasons. However, I think this is pretty common in our culture. Why are most people at the gym? To eventually look good enough to land some ass. Preparing: I enjoy cooking. I like watching Cooking Channel and those PBS cooking shows. I like trying out new dishes from around the world and using different combinations. Eating: a weird combination of ascetic and hedonistic. I tend to overindulge in sweets. If I’m not careful, I will eat whole boxes of chocolates and cookies at one sitting. Thankfully, I seem to have a pretty fast metabolism, and it hasn’t resulted in any extra weight (which I’ve actually been consciously trying to put on). But I will try to be very strict about getting the right amount of protein, complex carbs, and fats.

- How important is your home? How much time and effort have you invested in arranging your living space? Do you decorate/personalize your living space? Do you often fantasize about a perfect home? How important is order and cleanliness of your living space to you? How cozy is your current living environment?
    I like having an attractive living place, but I don’t really fantasize about the perfect home. For instance, I was quite indifferent about that “What’s your ideal house” thread. I couldn’t really think of anything. It’s not something I care all that much about. I am not a neat freak. My things are often all over the place, but I do enjoy having an organized living space after I just finish tidying up.

- How important is security for you? Do you regularly devote time and effort into securing and stabilizing your life?
    I… don’t really know what this question is asking, tbh. How do you “secure” and “stabilize” your life? I am alive. What is there to stabilize? I put on my seatbelt when I get in the car and try to pay my bills on time, if that’s what it’s referring to. But this isn’t something I invest my thought in.

- Do you carefully manage your savings? Do you often think about your income? What is enough? Is salary a major part in your consideration of a job? Do you follow deals and offers that would allow you to save some money?
    I’m a bit of a miser sometimes because I can be a little neurotic about money. I don’t trust myself to be able to keep myself out of the poorhouse, so I tend to let myself spend very little except for the occasional splurge every few months or so. Aside from that, I don’t really think about money all that much, or acquiring a huge salary. So long as I can pay for these things, I am content: a living space, no matter how small, in a safe and pleasant neighborhood, my gym membership, food, internet, clothes… you know, the basics. I don’t need all that much to be happy. My only real luxury is music. I’ve spent quite a lot on instruments/recording equipment, CDs (yes, I still buy CDs, lol), DVDs, concert tickets, etc.

- Do you take care of your health? Are you up to date in your health care appointments with doctors, dentists, etc? Do you go to the gym or track you caloric intake?
    This actually just reminded me… my doctor referred me to a cardiologist because of a heart murmur… way back in August and I never made an appointment. I try to get to the dentist once a year, but I haven’t been for the last two.

Sexual
    - Is it easy to spark your interest? Do you often fell interested, invigorated, impassioned by someone or something (e.g. a hobby, subject, or pursuit)?
    Yes. I am always immersed in some obsession to the point where the rest of my life can sometimes seem rather tangential to it. It’s a problem of mine, because it sometimes will throw my life off balance. Work, school, my health, etc. will sometimes fall by the wayside because I’m off devouring everything I can find on a certain musician, actor, subject, etc. With people, I can get infatuated rather quickly.

- Is it easy for you to hone in to that which has sparked your interest? Do you feel like your life is in some way directed by these feelings?
    I would say yes (see above). Although, many of the things I’m interested are guilty pleasures that I would only reveal to fellow fanatics, lol.

- Is being attractive to others an important quality for you? Do you easily spot attractions between other people?
    Yes, to both questions. This sometimes is embarrassing. I find I devote more care and anxiety to my physical appearance than is seemly, although I’m not as obsessive as some guys I know who have their haircuts on a set schedule, and spend $500 on a shirt. That’s just absurd. But I do take care to look and dress attractively. I am also pretty good at predicting how long a couple’s relationship will last.

- How often do you share your personal experiences and preferences with others in conversation? Do you feel at ease when connecting to someone on emotional/personal basis? Do you feel like you need to disclose some personal information in order to relate to someone?
    This comprises the majority of my conversation with people. When I can’t open up to people emotionally or share my emotions, quirks, desires, and tastes with other people, I feel very uncomfortable. This is meetings with professors, bosses, interviewers have always left me feeling disoriented and off-kilter. Formal meetings, unless I can talk about my personal interests and everyday life with the person, just feel very uncomfortable to me.

- Do you easily discern emotional stimuli and motivations of others?
    I don’t understand this question…

- Can you easily tell when someone is flirting with you? Do you often flirt? Do people have trouble telling when you are being just friendly and when you are expressing interest in them?
    I’m shockingly terrible at discerning flirting. I will often assume someone’s flirting with me when that isn’t the case, and be completely oblivious when it is. And yes, very much so, for the latter. I get myself into awkward situations when I’m simply being “nice.” I find I need to turn my natural version of “nice” down a notch or else I’ll be misconstrued.

- What role does sexuality play in your life? Do you find it easy to openly talk about sexual topics?
    I’m very comfortable talking about sex one-on-one, but tend to stay out of group discussions about it. Talking about sex with a group just kind of grosses me out. It ruins how personal and intimate it is, and makes it… well, too “normal” and mundane if that makes sense.

Social
    - Do you seek to come in contact with people? Are you open? Do you strive to become acquainted with and be known to everyone in your group?
    Yes, although I tend be somewhat guarded unless I can tell at least one person in the group is interested in me. I don’t strive to be known by everyone, but I do like to be regarded well, at least by the handful of people whom I hold in high esteem: these are people I find exciting and interesting. I’m a performer, so I’m not going to lie. I do like attention and recognition.

- When moving to a new place how important is it for you to make new friends? Do you feel like you have a social support network?
    Yes. I don’t know how anyone would not want this. Social connection and having friends is important for my emotional health: it gives me a way to deal with life’s stresses, have fun, and gives me a sense of identity. I don’t think I’d really feel fully realized in the world if I did not feel “known”, at least by a small group of close people. However, it can’t just be any group. I don’t like mass-market setting where people are just thrown together and I can’t get along with just anybody, like some social animals I know. My social life will usually develop around my interests.

- Do you experience a sense of belonging to a community? Are you engaged with social issues? Are you a member of any organized groups? What role or position do you usually play in groups?
    Not really. I’ve always felt like a bit of the odd one out in large “communities.” I find I have too much an internal life going on that I can never really feel connected with any external group in a meaningful way. No group has ever felt in concert or in harmony with my own inclinations or perspectives enough for me.

- Do you easily notice when people behave in an inconsiderate, imprudent, discourteous, untactful manner? Does this bother you even if they aren't related to you?
    I do notice it, but I’m pretty easy-going and forgiving. We all commit social gaffes sometimes. I do hate when someone dominates the conversation, though, especially when it’s about a topic I am really interested in. This happened to me the other day. I was having dinner out with a group of about seven, and these two guys were basically having a private conversation and no one else could get a word in edgewise. It was about a composer I was very much interested in and would have really liked discussing. It was frustrating, but I got over it.

- Are you sensitive to being socially ostracized? Is it important for you to be accepted by your peers? Is it important to you that your partner is acceptable to your friends and family?
    Yes. This has been a big insecurity for me for most of my life.

- Do you engage in discussions of socially relevant topics (e.g. human rights, social contracts, justice and fairness, cultural and religious themes, political systems, recent news and events)?
    Yes. (See most of my posts in this forum, lol.) Although, I tend to stay out of the most combative discussions. They are usually pointless, and no one is interested in revising their perspectives.

- Do you follow the news? Do you keep aware of what is happening with your friends and distant relatives, in your community, country, worldwide?
    I used to, much more so than I do now. But now I find there’s just too much to keep track of that it’s more of a pointless detour from what’s really important and exciting to me, which are things are are much more tangible and accessible to me here and now.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know what to think about that test. I took it twice, trying to be as objective as possible and varying answers for the second go-through that I thought could be seen slightly differently. It gave me:

Sexual ||||||||||||||||||||| 66%
    Social ||||||||||||||| 50%
    Self Preservation ||||||||| 26%

and

Sexual ||||||||||||||||||||| 66%
    Social ||||||||||||||| 46%
    Self Preservation ||||||||| 30%

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

i've taken this test several times and i alwayss get something different.
    choosing between two vague words doesn't really work for me.

You are most likely a type 4 (the Individualist) with 5 wing

Sexual variant

Type 4 SX
    Type 5 SX
    Type 3 SX
    Type 6 SP
    Type 8 SP
    Type 7 SO
    Type 1 SO
    Type 9 SX
    Type 2 SP

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are most likely a type 5 (the Investigator)
    with balanced wings

Social variant

Type 5 SO
    Type 6 SP
    Type 4 SP
    Type 9 SP
    Type 1 SO
    Type 8 SX
    Type 3 SX
    Type 7 SO
    Type 2 SP

TIM
    α-ω
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to the test:

And I must say, it will never cease to amaze me how some people can write a novel when answering questions that can be answered with a simple 'yes' or 'no'... No offense! Just WOW!

Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LauriesCrusador View Post
    According to the test:

And I must say, it will never cease to amaze me how some people can write a novel when answering questions that can be answered with a simple 'yes' or 'no'... No offense! Just WOW!
    Because simple "yes" or "no" answers provide no explanation for why the person answers in a certain way. Plus such an answer removes all possibility for contextualized nuance when regarding questions that attempt to make broad sweeping generalizations about a person's behavior.

TIM
    α-ω
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because simple "yes" or "no" answers provide no explanation for why the person answers in a certain way. Plus such an answer removes all possibility for contextualized nuance when regarding questions that attempt to make broad sweeping generalizations about a person's behavior.
    Haha. Yeah, I know that. Believe me. But that doesn't change the fact that answering such a questionnaire in detail is killing because I have simply little patience for stuff like that and it never occured to me to analyze why I do this or that the way I do or anwer in a certain way and that makes answering the questionnaire with more than a simple yes or no pretty difficult/challenging and I had to find a way in which I answer the questions at the same time not crashing my mouse and/or keyboard. No idea how people can just sit down and answer the questions one after another. Anyways, I did it. FINALLY! Wohooooo!!!

But I guarantee this was the last questionnaire for the rest of my life!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast