Thread: Russian to English socionics vocabulary/glossary

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Russian to English socionics vocabulary/glossary

I wonder, is there an established English vocabulary for translating socionics articles? Could someone share it with me? I get this urge sometimes to translate this or that bit of Russian socionics into English and I'd like to use the established terms. Also, is there a discussion on those terms or on socionics tranlsations anywhere? Can I join, please? Or shall we make such a discussion? (a question to my Russian-speaking friends)

TIM
    IEI-Fe (9)62 sx/?
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You can check wikisocion.org to work out a lot of the established terms.
    Reason is a whore.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuavaDrunk View Post
    You can check wikisocion.org to work out a lot of the established terms.
    Thank you, I may do that eventually. What I was asking is whether other translators have a list of terms they could share? It's what we (translators) do in other fields, and I'm asking in my professional capacity here.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Talk to @silken about this. She might be able to help
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Thanks, Maritsa! I will.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I recommend you to find English published books about Socionics, by Filatova for example. As secondary source to look at Lytov's site, Bukalov's site - wich have English sections. Wikis and forums are the last source to use.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    I recommend you to find English published books about Socionics, by Filatova for example. As secondary source to look at Lytov's site, Bukalov's site - wich have English sections. Wikis and forums are the last source to use.
    Thank you. So can we say that those who translate articles from Russian do not use a common approved vocabulary, but each translator arrives at what he/she uses by browsing the websites, reading articles, etc? Please understand, I'm not trying to shortcut or take it easy here, I'm asking whether there has been a discussion on what English words are best suited to reflect the Rusian terms and a common agreement on that (list of approved terms). This works hasn't been done, has it?
    And as a second thought: are there any professional translators here?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Socionics seems to be mostly unknown in the English speaking world, so I'm skeptical if there is any type of standardized vocabulary, although I could be wrong. Your English is very excellent, so I think you should just go for it and start translating, put everything into your own words from your own understanding. If something seems difficult to translate, you could bring it up in the forum, and we can all debate on how to best translate it.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa View Post
    Thanks @Maritsa. I've sent sergeyeva a pm regarding the translations and the commonly used terminology on this forum.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sergeyeva View Post
    So can we say that those who translate articles from Russian do not use a common approved vocabulary
    I doubt we may say there is much of "common approved" in Socionics. There are sources wich someones find more authoritative or just like more. I've offered an example for 1st rank sources: 1) published books as they may be officially used for citation and will be kept in libraries, 2) Lytov's site as it was 1st main international source about Socionics in 2000s, 3) Bukalov's site as it's official organisation wich is good known outside of ex-USSR (maybe there are other similar in ex-USSR also).
    Other known English Socionics site - by Ganin emigrant, but his authority is too doubtful to represent something. While on wiki anyone may write anything and sometimes it just represents opinion of wiki's admin with doubtful personal authority. Similar situation with forums. These sources are significantly worse in my taste.

I'm asking whether there has been a discussion on what English words are best suited to reflect the Rusian terms
    You asked about authoritative source. I've offered you several. I don't know about discussions with near authoritative status or more objective interest.
    More to say, there is no subject in typology (person, group, etc) to give something "common approved" (besides Jung and partly Augustinavichiute). So if there were such discussions, no one cares seriously what those people liked to use as terms. There are popular sources about typology and people may copy them, or copy other ones, or create own terms' translations.

And as a second thought: are there any professional translators here?
    Lytov has close education. In 2000s emigrated to Canada so is good in both languages. He has blog.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    Thanks @Maritsa. I've sent sergeyeva a pm regarding the translations and the commonly used terminology on this forum.
    You're welcome
    @sergeyeva let me know if you can find filatovas book. I may be able to ship it to you.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear Maritsa, thank you! I'll try to find the book and if I fail, I'll turn to you ) (now I understand what book you meant in the pm!)

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uncivilized View Post
    Socionics seems to be mostly unknown in the English speaking world, so I'm skeptical if there is any type of standardized vocabulary, although I could be wrong. Your English is very excellent, so I think you should just go for it and start translating, put everything into your own words from your own understanding. If something seems difficult to translate, you could bring it up in the forum, and we can all debate on how to best translate it.
    Thank you, I might try just that

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silke View Post
    Thank you! I've received it and it's very helpful indeed!

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt we may say there is much of "common approved" in Socionics. There are sources wich someones find more authoritative or just like more. I've offered an example for 1st rank sources: 1) published books as they may be officially used for citation and will be kept in libraries, 2) Lytov's site as it was 1st main international source about Socionics in 2000s, 3) Bukalov's site as it's official organisation wich is good known outside of ex-USSR (maybe there are other similar in ex-USSR also).
    Other known English Socionics site - by Ganin emigrant, but his authority is too doubtful to represent something. While on wiki anyone may write anything and sometimes it just represents opinion of wiki's admin with doubtful personal authority. Similar situation with forums. These sources are significantly worse in my taste.

You asked about authoritative source. I've offered you several. I don't know about discussions with near authoritative status or more objective interest.
    More to say, there is no subject in typology (person, group, etc) to give something "common approved" (besides Jung and partly Augustinavichiute). So if there were such discussions, no one cares seriously what those people liked to use as terms. There are popular sources about typology and people may copy them, or copy other ones, or create own terms' translations.

Lytov has close education. In 2000s emigrated to Canada so is good in both languages. He has blog.
    Thank you very much - for providing the sources and for explaining the situation, too. It's much more clear now. I'll start with studying those websites. I do agree that there are few generally accepted authorities in socionics and that is naturally reflected in the situation with translations. "no one cares seriously what those people liked to use as terms." - that's very true ( I haven't thought of it because in other fields the situation is quite different, but then those fields are well-established whereas socionics is quite young yet. Let's hope it grows and develops into something solid, proven and generally recognized.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sergeyeva View Post
    Dear Maritsa, thank you! I'll try to find the book and if I fail, I'll turn to you ) (now I understand what book you meant in the pm!)
    You're most welcome
    -

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By the way, just for your information - Lytov's site doesn't seem to be supported any longer, only the main page is still there in the English version. All the other pages give 404 error(( Or am I doing it wrong?