Thread: Interview with Aleksandr Bukalov and Olga Karpenko (International Institute of Socionics)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Interview with Aleksandr Bukalov and Olga Karpenko (International Institute of Socionics)

Socionics: Interview with Alexandr Bukalov and Olga Karpenko (archive.org)

Interview with Aleksandr Bukalov and Olga Karpenko (International Institute of Socionics)

On the beginnings of socionics and Aushra
    Augusta's development of Jung's typology.
    2/5/2006, Kiev, Ukraine
    A.B. - So, should we start from the very beginning?
    R.D. - What would probably be the most interesting is to talk about how socionics first appeared in Kiev, how the Institute was created, and also how you personally first learned of socionics and why it interested you.
    A.B. - I think I'll start with how socionics appeared in the first place. To begin with, a few words about Jung's typology. For a long time nobody in the Soviet Union worked with Jung's typology, although his works had been translated into Russian and could be found in the major libraries. At the same time, Meyers-Briggs had been developing Jung's typology in America, though, in our opinion, they weren't completely true to what Jung originally had in mind. So, in the 1960s, in Vilnius, Lithuanian researcher Aushra Augustinavichiute became interested in typology because she was looking for answers to personal questions. At the same time, she was the dean of the Marriage and Family Science Department at the Vilnius Pedagogy University, so she had professional interests as well. She organized a club, or hobby group...
    R.D. - Question. Why does everyone call Aushra a "researcher?" What was she researching?
    A.B. - Yes, as dean she was conducting research. She gathered a group of like-minded people — sort of like a club, which included psychologists, sociologists, economists, and cyberneticists — and they would meet regularly in Vilnius and discuss everything related to typology, sociology, etc.
    R.D. - So, basically a club of enthusiasts.
    A.B. - Yes. Within this club they gradually began working on ideas and concepts related to Jung's typology. This all led up to the year 1968, when Aushra had her ingenious idea that Jung's typology could be expanded — expanded to create 16 types, but also — most importantly — to construct an information model of the psyche by increasing the number of Jungian functions.
    R.D. - So Aushra not only was the one who brought everyone together, but she herself made the breakthrough?
    A.B. - Yes. When she talked about this event later, she called it a "flash of inspiration" — a sudden ingenious idea, a flash of insight. Her insight was about how psychic functions must be located in the psyche — in the model of the psyche. So 1968 is when Aushra Augustinavichiute's information model of the psyche — or "model A" — was born. And during the period from 1968 to 1980 — over 12 years — this little club of explorers developed the concepts that led to the creation of socionics. This intellectual club formed a backdrop for Aushra's creative ideas. She would propose her ideas, listen to objections, and so on.
    R.D. - Interesting that they spent a whole 12 years discussing and digesting these ideas.
    A.B. - Yes, yes. In fact, progress was very slow!
    R.D. - How often did they meet?
    A.B. - You know, I don't know for sure.
    O.K. - I don't think it was very often. No more than once or twice a month.
    A.B. - Anyway, as a result, Aushra elaborated her concept of the information model of the psyche, and, most importantly, she determined the principles of information interchange between people. And that each psychic function — or "information metabolism function," as she called it, because cybernetics was in fashion then (these was the 60s and 70s)...
    R.D. - Now wasn't cybernetics considered a "pseudo science" in the Soviet Union?
    O.K. - No, not by this time anymore.
    A.B. - That was during the 50s — the beginning of the 50s, actually. But in the 60s cybernetics institutes were already being created. They began working on robots and artificial intellect.
    O.K. - In fact, the first institute that Aushra visited in Kiev was the Institute of Cybernetics.
    A.B. - So you could say that from the very beginning socionics combined psychology with the information/cybernetic paradigm. And that's why it fit in well in the cybernetic and information age — among certain circles of scientists', at least. So anyway, they developed the typology, defined psychic functions, information stream elements, or aspects of reality, and the concept of intertype relations. In 1980 Aushra published her popular book, The Dual Nature of Man.
    R.D. - In book form?
    A.B. - In manuscript form. Unfortunately, she couldn't publish it as a book.
    R.D. - Samizdat?
    O.K. - Yes, this was the era of 'samizdat.' (i.e. literature typed up and passed from person to person)
    A.B. - Yes, samizdat, but this samizdat was protected. In the Soviet Union it was very hard to get a book published. Books had to go through censors and be approved everywhere. Traditional psychologists, who had not studied cybernetics, didn't understand Aushra's ideas, and, of course, like everything new, socionics was given a hostile reception. Psychologists weren't taught cybernetics then — that's only begun in recent years. Actually, now they just mention cybernetics, not teach it. But then they didn't teach cybernetics and didn't explain what "information" or "information processing" was. So, when Aushra stated that Jung's psychic functions were "information metabolism functions" and that there were laws of how they exchange and process information, this looked like heresy in the psychology world. But cyberneticists, on the other hand, received it very well, of course. There was a sort of opposition between psychologists and cyberneticists.
    R.D. - Let me add a comment and a question. On my website I have a page on information elements. As I understand it, Jung developed the concept of functions, but he didn't relate functions to characteristics of external reality.
    A.B. - Yes, exactly.
    R.D. - So, in essence, Aushra just made one small step, since, well, it seems logical that if there eight psychic functions, these functions can also be used to describe aspects of reality.
    O.K. - It was a very difficult step to make, actually. That's a move from internal perception to objective external reality.
    A.B. - Yes. First of all, Jung was an introvert. External aspects didn't interest him at all. Secondly, he didn't have the language to describe these things. The concept of information metabolism only originated in the 1930s in the works of Polish psychiatrist Kempinsky. He was the first one to say that people become ill because they digest information wrong, much like eating the wrong food. This was in the 30s, and Jung wrote his work 15 years earlier, in 1918. And Jung didn't develop his typology further; he left it as it was.
    R.D. - Didn't he continue giving lectures on it?
    A.B. - Yes, he spoke on it and gave lectures, but he didn't write any more on the subject.
    R.D. - If I recall correctly, in his later lectures he acknowledged that there were actually 16 types.
    A.B. - Actually, he writes at the end of his book that you can actually separate out 16 types if you take the auxiliary function as well as the leading function. But then he adds, "but that doesn't interest me much."
    O.K. - He didn't need it for his practice.
    A.B. - He was a psychoanalyst and didn't need to take it any further. But Aushra Augustinavichiute took the hint and applied it, because otherwise the model didn't fit together. So when she made this cybernetics analogy, everything else fit into place. Jung had four functions — the "leading" and "auxiliary" functions and two opposing functions in the unconscious. Aushra doubled the number to make eight.
    R.D. - Again, isn't that a logical result of relating psychic functions to aspects of reality? How can the human psyche perceive four aspects of reality and be completely unaware of the other four?
    O.K. - In the very beginning Aushra went with Jung's model of four functions, but it wasn't symmetric, and from a cybernetics point of view it wasn't at all elegant. It wasn't clear where the rest of the information goes! Aushra just took the next step... she was simply more logically consistent in her thinking.
    A.B. - Yes, but this whole process of understanding the concept of information flow and metabolism was ingenious. It might seem to be just a little step, but it completely changes everything, because socionics becomes more than just a theory of psychology — it allows us to speak not only in terms of individual traits, but also in categories of the outside world.
    R.D. - Basically saying that there are aspects of reality in the external world and — as a matter of fact — these same aspects are present in people as well.
    O.K. - Yes. When we teach our students, we begin with that — the fact that the outside world and our perception have things in common. When they understand this from the very beginning, they don't have problems with things like "the integral type of a group," "the type of a nation," how to determine the "type" of a problem, and who needs to solve the problem seeing that it has this type. They don't have problems moving from one level to another, but psychologists...
    A.B. - That is, we can describe in socionic categories any realities of the outside world.
    O.K. - As long as we talk only of psychic functions that are shut off from the outside world by this psychic barrier, there's always this gap between what's happening inside of us and what we perceive in the outside world.
    R.D. - So psychologists are like, "you mean to say the outside world has psychic functions?"
    A.B. - Yes, that's a problem. Of course, psychologists haven't thought about this much... They can't explain without this understanding how the psyche assists a person's survival — if it doesn't correspond to the realities of the outside world. The psyche must be adapted to the outside world, right? Otherwise how do people survive? So, basically, the development of all these ideas, and the understanding that there are relationships, include those called "dual relations" — the best relationship, which is what Aushra was interested in — and that there are the opposite — "conflicting" — relations, and that between them is a whole scale of relations — all this took quite a bit of time. However, in 1980 her book came out in the form of a typed manuscript and was deposited into the library of the Academy of Sciences.
    R.D. - What does "deposited" mean?
    O.K. - It means that it is located there, you can look at it, read it, make references to it...
    A.B. - It was a manuscript that you were allowed to reference. It had the right to be published, in other words.
    R.D. - So this was all a part of the Soviet system.
    O.K. - Yes, it was a peculiar system!
    A.B. - Yes. So the book was published as a manuscript that could be ordered, which is important.
    R.D. - The book received the right to exist.
    A.B. - Yes. In a totalitarian regime that was very important. Anyway, Aushra wrote several more works, such as The Socion, The Theory of Intertype Relations, and lengthy descriptions of several types, where she examined in detail how the information model of the psyche works for each type, how intertype relations work and how they manifest themselves — or, to be precise, "intertype information interaction," out of which, on a subjective level, arise relationships. That's how we've formulated it in recent years.
    O.K. - In order to separate relationships from their information component.
    A.B. - Yes, information interaction and how relationships feel subjectively are not exactly the same. Aushra mixed the two, but that's natural.
    to be continued (2/9/2006)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thus the best article on the entire site continues to go ignored.

Thank you @Birdbrain

Maybe @xerx could enlighten us since his profile states he works as a cybernetics operator

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalinoche buenanoche View Post
    Thank you @Birdbrain

Maybe @xerx could enlighten us since his profile states he works as a cybernetics operator
    I don't think "cybernetic operative" is actually his job, I just think he wants to be in a sci-fi thriller. I've put "cybernetic organism" before and now "cyberbird." However yeah, people here should really know more about this so thanks.

"Yeah, but Phoenix Person, is that what we settled on? I thought we agreed on Cyberbird!"
    Last edited by Metamorph; 03-12-2024 at 11:11 PM.

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I read this stuff a while ago. Anyway, the more I read Aushra's motive identification typings, the more I think labelling types with real names was a huge mistake made by her. It really makes it confusing and contradictory undertones come up more you dig into their lives. Afaik, close contact identification she made seems to contain some good notes.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org

Professional IEI Identifier on a peaceful hiatus's Avatar
    TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have translated a very long transcript of an interview by Bukalov into german years ago. I thought the content was very interesting, but I don't remember much of it anymore because it has been so long.

https://soziotypen.de/studien-artike...ander-bukalov/

the english version doesn't seem to be available anymore, but the video is still online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6hgXwoBBKc

might be faster to auto-translate my german text, though. he talks about similar things as far as I remember. Might translate this interview too as it's not so long.

he self-typed as ILE, but I obviously think IEI for him.
    my ideas about socionics:

https://soziotypen.de/thoughts-on-socionics/

this is a VI thread with IEI examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...-(IEI-edition)

and this is a thread with EIE examples

https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...s-EIE-examples

Kyiv Troll Factory Worker ChaosConductor6669's Avatar
    TIM
    MBTI ISFP
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by on a peaceful hiatus View Post
    What if he is ILE and you are his Dual the SEI and you found him? Law of attraction, you look for the Dual and you find the Dual.

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Creep View Post
    What if he is ILE and you are his Dual the SEI and you found him? Law of attraction, you look for the Dual and you find the Dual.
    you are pretty boring if I am honest. maybe the quality of your posts reflects the state of this site, which seems to be on life support. gone are the glory days of socionics before the millennium. seems like most people aren't even half as smart as the researchers from back then. I guess this site is doomed to be frequented by midwits like chriscorey and unfunny trolls.

TIM
    MBTI ISFP
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

seems like most people aren't even half as smart as the researchers from back then.
    Don't be so hard on yourself, you will find an ILE to reinvigorate your life with her wacky ideas soon enough.

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't be so hard on yourself, you will find an ILE to reinvigorate your life with her wacky ideas soon enough.
    ah yes ideas are Ne and facts are Te. so many high IQ takes on this site that you can't get anywhere else.

TIM
    MBTI ISFP
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah yes ideas are Ne and facts are Te. so many high IQ takes on this site that you can't get anywhere else.
    Ne+ Opportunities, Ne- Alternatives. I can expound upon that, but those simple little facts are in essence all I need to get it and I've mistakenly assumed the same for others. I understand that you aren't as intelligent as me and you need a 10,000 word Ti dissertation to simply understand what is in front of you.

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ne+ Opportunities, Ne- Alternatives. I can expound upon that, but those simple little facts are in essence all I need to get it and I've mistakenly assumed the same for others. I understand that you aren't as intelligent as me and you need a 10,000 word Ti dissertation to simply understand what is in front of you.
    Yes, because Ti, being exceptional at differentiating primary from secondary and reducing everything to structural essentials, is prone to write convoluted essays and not keeping things as short and precise as possible. Good luck out there

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I have translated a very long transcript of an interview by Bukalov into german years ago. I thought the content was very interesting, but I don't remember much of it anymore because it has been so long.

https://soziotypen.de/studien-artike...ander-bukalov/

the english version doesn't seem to be available anymore, but the video is still online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6hgXwoBBKc

might be faster to auto-translate my german text, though. he talks about similar things as far as I remember. Might translate this interview too as it's not so long.

Based on VI from the video you posted, I also don't think that Bukalov is ILE. But I don't think he's IEI, either. Instead, I think he's Russian, which screws with the VI a bit, due to different cultural mannerisms, but he seems like an introverted LIE to me. Maybe an LIE-Ni, or less likely, an ILI-Te. "Less likely", because even though he doesn't look up at the audience much, when he does, it is with a piercing, extroverted stare. So, Extroverted.

TIM
    MBTI ISFP
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, because Ti, being exceptional at differentiating primary from secondary and reducing everything to structural essentials, is prone to write convoluted essays and not keeping things as short and precise as possible. Good luck out there
    Not so fast, Hans - I never explicitly said to you that I was a Ti type, nor did I say I'd write you a thesis, I just insinuated that you needed one (when you may not). Use your imagination for hate's sake. It's more likely that Adam and I are both LIEs, you couldn't even figure that out.
    Last edited by ChaosConductor6669; 03-14-2024 at 10:58 PM.

TIM
    HN-SLI-Te
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess this site is doomed to be frequented by midwits like chriscorey and unfunny trolls.
    I sometimes wonder if you're the former or the latter and honestly, I don't know. Probably both at the same time but I mean which factor dominates.

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by qaz00 View Post
    I sometimes wonder if you're the former or the latter and honestly, I don't know. Probably both at the same time but I mean which factor dominates.
    you can wonder what you want. I wrote a 23 page long article explaining my reasoning that you probably didn't bother to read, neither did adam strange or nifl. all of you are mistyped. if you think Ne is ideas and Te is facts, then please feel free to go to a scientist and explain him that and get laughed at in your face. no one here gives any reasoning why they think they have a specific type. BrainlessSquid creates lists in his diary thread and I explicitely mention in my article that Ni types like to do that, yet he thinks he is Ne base and in a dual relationship. Adam Strange says he uses VI when typing people because he has so much skill with it but in reality he just uses his imagination and larps something in his head. the amount of nonsensical stuff you read on this site on a daily basis is staggering. you have some abstract profile picture and think you are S, nifl mistyped himself as SLI too. It's a massive shit show here.

I at least sympathize with birdbrain for being more abstract and trying something new here, but the audience is not there. you can only do so much when half the forum consists of dim-witted conservatives and the other half is unable to grasp the theory and apply it.

TIM
    HN-SLI-Te
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wrote a 23 page long article explaining my reasoning that you probably didn't bother to read
    I read the whole thing some time ago. I remember being surprised that your descriptions of functions are actually pretty decent, most of what makes your approach to socionics insane happens at a later stage, something is seriously wrong with your abilities of matching behaviors with a theory and making conclusions, it's beyond my mental capabilities and/or time I'm willing to spend to explain what kind of cognitive error you're making, but I can say it's severe and very likely impacting other areas of your life, you should see a specialist about it. Or you're just a troll.

if you think Ne is ideas and Te is facts, then please feel free to go to a scientist and explain him that and get laughed at in your face
    BrainlessSquid creates lists in his diary thread and I explicitely mention in my article that Ni types like to do that, yet he thinks he is Ne base and in a dual relationship
    What I see there are two examples of a simplification and looking at functions' manifestations in a detached way, without context. In the first quote, you incorrectly attributed such a simplification to me, but correctly identified and described it. Yet in the second quote, you're doing the same kind of simplification, at least this is how I see it. How creating lists in a diary thread, which is a behavior that can be caused by a lot of reasons and not directly related to any function in a more classical approach to socionics than yours, can be so surely, inflexibly connected by you to being a Ni type, and at the same time you don't fail to see ridiculousness of a very similar (at least to me) reasoning in your "Ne is ideas and Te is facts" example?

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not neccessarily explain my reasoning in online posts. The things I perceive internally and the things I end up posting are somewhat different, which is probably due to the insignificance of forum postings, while I do have the ambition to create something timeless when I write seriously. Saying Ne=ideas implies that people who aren't Ne are incapable of having them, yet the most creative people I have seen in my life are Ni base. Saying Te=facts implies that Ti types are incapable of perceiving facts, which is honestly ridiculous. I especially made the observation that Ni base type focus highly on concrete information, especially the ones that they can see with their own eyes. It's not rare for a type like IEI to become a data scientist from my observation. I think a focus on "facts" is more of an indication that a person values Se, as it's the perception of concrete, objective reality, while Si valuing types do not care much about precision. You won't find Ne types in any kind of competitive environments and therefore they don't become celebrities, but you can only understand that when you value Ne yourself.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now can we get back to talking about cybernetics instead of engaging Alive's histrionics? Everything I say about all you guys is turning out to be true, which is why you all get this little decrepit site to yourselves, but still, it doesn't make me want to crawl into the fly-trap.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyway, almost no one here is doing socionics right because one of the foundational aspects of socionics is the idea that IEs aren't just in your head, they are outside in the world. Physical comfort actually is Si, force actually is Se, etc. This is the one thing that might actually elevate socionics above MBTI, which Jung famously hated:

The misleading letter from Jung on Myers-Briggs typology - Practical Insights

However, Jung also already described duality, and he described it as easy but also not an optimal relationship. Jung wanted people to date their identicals... kind of like what I said sounded more appealing than dating your dual in the Heresy Thread. Is duality a mistake? Or perhaps the Western interpretation of duality is an intentional mistake caused by a lot of people who think love is bourgeois construct? I especially wouldn't want a subtype dual like in Gulenko's theory, depending on which of the two active subtypes I had I'd have to have a dual who either expects me to wake up and go to bed at the same time and be in the same place in general each time every day, or a complete pushover with no will of their own, blech. Gulenko stinks. If there has to be a subtype difference D + C sounds much better to me and let the reeking N and H normies rot with each other. I kept designing a bunch of Valentines for future use even though the day is over and they were all things like "Let's Take Over the World Together," no normies or pushovers please.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While the application of cybernetics to psychology is interesting, I doubt the rest of socionics is salvageable. Am I supposed to want to date and marry some kind of SF type or whatever, really? I could just ask to take ownership of this site from mu4 or something but I think the theory is foundationally flawed so that'd be pointless. You guys have fun trying to date the exact opposite kind of person to you and hoping that works out.

I don't know how good research on cybernetics and psychology is so far since I just started looking into other papers that are out there, but this is at least moderately more promising than socionics: A cybernetic big five theory for personality psychology - ScienceDirect

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your dual is most likely an SLE-D

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your dual is most likely an SLE-D
    No, I am a dominator, not a victim or a normie, and I like to choose my victims very carefully. You are being very illogical after all and you only know how to appeal to emotion and authority. You can only do 30 pushups and if this were real life I'd just pin you down for being a little brat.

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalinoche buenanoche View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorph View Post
    I don't think "cybernetic operative" is actually his job
    I'm an actual cyberneticist.

Quote Originally Posted by xerx View Post
    I'm an actual cyberneticist.
    What is it about? Sounds broad, like saying ซ*I am a systemiser*ป

Seed my wickedness The Reality Denialist's Avatar
    TIM
    EIE-C-Ni ™
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Jung seemed to like like-minded identical professional relations. Anyway, a per romance, all I can think of is notion of initial attraction (duals and semiduals). Seem like a question about how you like it served.
    MOTTO: NEVER TRUST IN REALITY
    Winning is for losers

Sincerely yours,
    idiosyncratic type
    Life is a joke but do you have a life?

Joinif you dare https://matrix.to/#/#The16Types:matrix.org