Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Differences between LSI-ISTj and SLE-ESTp

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Agee The Great View Post
    I wouldn't say I easily adapt to the environment on a whim all the time, its sometimes very hard to get me angry and when I do it takes me too long to get out of that state of mind. What im saying is that my moods are highly unpredictable. Sometimes they change fast, sometimes they are even more dry that rationals.
    Yes, I think this is true. I see this in SLE friends of mine.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa33 View Post
    Not the general whether someone's honest or not. I think we can admit that at this point everyone is dishonest or honest to a degree; I was saying that they are putting something ahead of honesty which is politeness to preserve a collective emotional atmosphere.
    okay, yes, I see.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

everybody at least thinks they prefer honesty to politeness. and of course those "other people" prefer politeness to honesty. ffs. stop being assholes lol.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Starfall View Post
    Maritsa, you've got it all mixed up. Betas, prefer honesty to politeness. Deltas prefer politeness to honesty. Look at any beta on here & you'd see that.

I value ones honesty far more than i value politeness. My SLE is painfully honest, but that is one of the things that i value the most about him. He never sugar coats anything & only tells me things straight up.because of this i have become a better & improved version of myself. Compare this to my IEE mom who's always trying to coo me & tell me how great I am without giving me the tough love that I actually need.
    My IEE mom is also like this. ugh. And then she beats around the bush when she wants to talk about her worries concerning me. Nothing is ever direct.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely *value* honesty over politeness but I'm very polite and sometimes I use manners with people I don't care about, in lieu of honesty because it's easier. I mean... I'm not saying I lie, but, well, sometimes I misrepresent the truth by omission or facial expression, especially to deltas. And alphas. It's just easier.

If I was really honest all the time about everything, I'd have more troubles. Pure honesty is only okay when you're safe. And I'm only safe with the people I'm closest to. And I guess now that I think about it, I never felt safe growing up. Maybe largely with my brother but not really anyone else. So I'm learning how to be honest now. And it feels kind of exhilarating. But I keep the real stuff, the real me, to myself until I find a worthy person to share me with. If that makes sense.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Banned
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLE starts with the letter S, has an L in the middle, and ends with an E; whereas LSI begins with an L, has the S in the center, and I replaces the E at the end.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

omg I am ROFL with tears rolling down my face. what is with the robotic voices??? And that SLE is exactly like the one I know too! EXACTLY. Too funny. Aw, Maritsa, I don't think I'm EIE, that sort of rule-oriented behavior would make me CRAZY! I'd probably start breaking the rules just to annoy him.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redbaron View Post
    Aw, Maritsa, I don't think I'm EIE, that sort of rule-oriented behavior would make me CRAZY! I'd probably start breaking the rules just to annoy him.
    Yeah, I think I died inside a little while watching that. (o.o )
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, it was perfect. Everything from acting buddy-buddy, to trying to get around the rules, to then turning it around and saying "well then I guess you must not want to win very badly because I'm awesome." That's exactly how they are.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Maritsa, you've got it all mixed up. Betas, prefer honesty to politeness. Deltas prefer politeness to honesty. Look at any beta on here & you'd see that.

I value ones honesty far more than i value politeness. My SLE is painfully honest, but that is one of the things that i value the most about him. He never sugar coats anything & only tells me things straight up.because of this i have become a better & improved version of myself. Compare this to my IEE mom who's always trying to coo me & tell me how great I am without giving me the tough love that I actually need.
    How do you explain the politeness displayed by Agee and redbaron?

Read here, hence my point:

I'm very polite and sometimes I use manners with people I don't care about, in lieu of honesty because it's easier. I mean... I'm not saying I lie, but, well, sometimes I misrepresent the truth by omission or facial expression, especially to deltas. And alphas. It's just easier.
    omg I am ROFL with tears rolling down my face. what is with the robotic voices??? And that SLE is exactly like the one I know too! EXACTLY. Too funny. Aw, Maritsa, I don't think I'm EIE, that sort of rule-oriented behavior would make me CRAZY! I'd probably start breaking the rules just to annoy him.
    LSI are not automatons. They are in your own quadra, so they are much like you are, whether you accept yourself as EIE or IEI.
    -
    Dual type (as per tcaudilllg)
    Enneagram 5 (wings either 4 or 6)?

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

Best description of functions:
    http://socionicsstudy.blogspot.com/2...functions.html

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

An LSI looks at a social construct and picks and chooses what works; relies on their own judgement rather than authorities; They say "these are the systems in place and these are the things about it that don't work" observe squarks response to the system in place about TinyChat in this post http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...l=1#post865943

Now, how are you a dual with the lovely LSI, you may ask, redbaron? this is how. Your post in this thread:
    http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...l=1#post866174

I rarely assert an opinion about something or say out loud to someone that I think this or that is right or wrong. Because I know there's always two sides and rarely do I have all the information. Your dual is all about asserting opinion about right-wrong relations of scenarios, and doesn't feel the need to have “all the information” about a situation to make a valuative judgment, because they base their judgments on personal “gut” assumptiosn rather than information. Refer to the above with squark's post on their assertion in the TinyChat thread.

If, however, I KNOW I'm right, I will assert it, maybe. If the other person objects and I still know I'm right, I'll stand my ground and feel the need to defend it. Like this: "trust me, I wouldn't be saying this at all unless I was 100% certain so the fact that you're disbelieving me is ridiculous". lol I dunno. It's rare though. I hardly ever do that.

If I really don't care, but I still know, I won't say anything. Or if I don't want to get into a disagreement over it. I ALWAYS hold my hunches inside. And I sometimes hold my knowledge inside too, even when I know for sure. I keep it and use it when it's needed but otherwise, why bother. Plus, the more knowledge I have that other people don't have, the more power. Mwahahaha Your duals are not afraid of asserting their opinions if they “know” that they are right.

I guess I know I'm right if I get my information directly from the source, or from several sources I completely trust. I never take rumors to be true.* Again, your duals do not rely on “sources” in the forming of opinions.

I'm OFTEN wrong with dates, names, places, details. But sometimes I get them right. Sometimes I get them *almost* right. But it's funny, like for example, finding a place... if I've been there once before, I can sort of feel my way there. "this looks right" and then I turn and voila! But I might not remember that he told me it was on the west side of the street, for example.*

I think life experience has taught me not to assume that I'm right when it comes to people, their motivations, their feelings. I mean, I'm usually right, but things are often more complicated than they seem, overall.

Did any of that make sense?
    AnLSE would say "what about this system works and how can we work within it and respond to it." You may observe LSE on the forum asking such things as "this isn't going to get me banned, is it?" because they want to work within the system.
    -

I'm constantly looking to align the real with the ideal.I've been more oriented toward being overly idealistic by expecting the real to match the ideal. My thinking side is dominent. The result is that sometimes I can be overly impersonal or self-centered in my approach, not being understanding of others in the process and simply thinking "you should do this" or "everyone should follor this rule"..."regardless of how they feel or where they're coming from"which just isn't a good attitude to have. It is a way, though, to give oneself an artificial sense of self-justification. LSE

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Honestly? Polite would be the last word I'd ever use to describe agee lol and redbaron is a classy lady regardless.

Politeness has more to do with how one was raised than type.

Do you still type me as SEE? Lol
    You only seem to want to read the things that are important to you and not everything before making a rash conclusion.

here:

Sorry redbaron for highjackign your thread.
    -

"Cool Mafia Godfather" ~SLE Leader's Avatar
    TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't know what im usually like Starfall, shut up.

Lol...anyways, Maritsa...yeah I have no idea what you're talking about. I WAS being honest. Being polite means you're not being honest? Doesn't make sense. Read what the descriptions say about how SLEs talk, "polite and with tact", most of the time anyways....and this is even to the point of being -TOO NICE- at times. I can always say what I mean without shitting on everyone, or I can do the complete opposite...which is extremely rare, since I like to keep things respectable and positive (Part of Fe-Ha since I usually receive in return what I put out). And im like this to everyone, not just to people who might be in my quadra.

When I said "sorry redbaron for highjacking your thread", I meant it...because you really had no business coming in here talking about LSEs when the thread is about LSIs and SLEs, and I had no business doing so either, but I had to set things straight.

^ This is called honesty.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Talking about other types allows me to give context to the topic, sorry if it bothers you, but really I don't care how you feel about it.
    -

TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um, dunno 'bout that but sure...freedom of speech I guess. Really doesn't bother me. What bothers me is when people don't know what they're talking about, which is what you're doing, so im correcting you.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Read this post:

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...l=1#post866346

OK, we gotta stop getting into a conflict, ok?
    -

TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's MBTI, but I still thought it was funny. The SLE is exactly like my bf lol. I don't know many LSI's, so I can't speak on that behalf.

...Yeah ESTP in MBTI is SEE. And thats what I said you're bf most likely is...

TIM
    IEI
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Limited experience, but here goes...

Both are prone to making premature assumptions but LSIs are more stubborn, and unexpected stuff baffles and scares them. They can fly into a rage and because of limited they can refuse to see other peoples perspectives, other than their own conclusion. May continue to argue even when they have been proven wrong (and they know this) Sometimes when you actually observe these blow ups it's quite scary but entertaining if you're not on the recieving end. Usually don't say sory afterwards...

SLEs are far more changeable and outwardly agreeable, less argumentative, but silently stick to their viewpoint.

Most LSI's have a real problem with people being late & damaging their items/ property/ belonings. They also notice and point out other peoples mistakes, particularily bad driving when you're in the car with them. They like to stick to their own rules.

LSI can be more suspicious of peoples motives, they're more closed off. Like they're more shy about approaching people irl or sending friend requests on fb. Kind of innocent when it comes to that. However it doesn't take long until you're best friends ime - it's just initially more awkward. -LSI can appear very extroverted amongst friends. -SLE can appear introverted... but the temperament Ep/ Ij differences are still there. If any type can stick to a diet regime it's LSI, they have alot of staying power - when they tell others they're going to do something, they usually will if it calls for will power.

SLE's are quick to approach people, and love attention from others. Both are chasers though, they know what they like when they see it - although LSI are a bit more love shy when they're unsure of reciprocation.

Both possess good senses of humour....expect ot get into fits of laughter if you're beta NF. I've noticed both have a tendency to get a job really young and work their way up to the position of manager or director.. instead of completing higher education..but thats purely an observence based on a few beta ST's I know. -need more RL life experience

TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post
    SLEs are a lot more embarrassing, i.e. they make fools out of themselves a lot more, and often deliberately, for attention-seeking purposes. It's also a lot harder to convince an LSI to change their minds, whereas SLEs jump to new positions quite easily if you explain why they're wrong e.g. Ezra. SLE-7s are very easy to tell apart, since they're very not-IJ... most of the SLEs I've typed solidly are E7s, whereas the E8s are generally "generic beta ST"
    Weeeelp. Anybody who reads this and believes what you're saying is a dumbass...juuuuust liiiiike UUUUUUUUUU

SLE, not embarrassing....can be silly at times, but despises being embarrassed, this is negative attention. Not attention seeking. SLE are not easily convinced, sticks to beliefs no matter what. If not sure of belief, would not even feel so strong about belief in first place and appear be ambivalent and hands off. Enneagram 7 is cognitive head type many ideas head in clouds, not sensory dominant and grounded, which is E8.

Now, so you can understand what im saying. I will speak in your language. The language of dumbass.
    Translation: UHRR GUR UH UH UH UH DUUUUUUUUUUUUUR DOO *** DERP DER HEEEER DU UHDUR DYUUUU!

Stop talking like you know what you're talking about, because you don't. This is why you need Ti.

Edit: Ezra is not SLE.
    Last edited by Leader; 04-26-2012 at 07:39 PM.

TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read this post:

http://www.the16types.info/vbulletin...l=1#post866346

OK, we gotta stop getting into a conflict, ok?
    Its not conflict, its honesty.... which you claimed to prefer. But sure

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weeeelp. Anybody who reads this and believes what you're saying is a dumbass...juuuuust liiiiike UUUUUUUUUU

SLE, not embarrassing....can be silly at times, but despises being embarrassed, this is negative attention. Not attention seeking. SLE are not easily convinced, sticks to beliefs no matter what. If not sure of belief, would not even feel so strong about belief in first place and appear be ambivalent and hands off. Enneagram 7 is cognitive head type many ideas head in clouds, not sensory dominant and grounded, which is E8.

Now, so you can understand what im saying. I will speak in your language. The language of dumbass.
    Translation: UHRR GUR UH UH UH UH DUUUUUUUUUUUUUR DOO *** DERP DER HEEEER DU UHDUR DYUUUU!

Stop talking like you know what you're talking about, because you don't. This is why you need Ti.

Edit: Ezra is not SLE.
    Octo is right though, I know two SLE E-7s and they're just like that, despite being CLEAR SLEs and not ILEs. She didn't say SLEs are embarrassed, they're not, she said they're EMBARRASSING like if you're with them they can be embarrassing to you. LOL Which is why the ESI (or possibly EII) wife of my SLE friend hates being in public with him, she's totally embarrassed by him. And I can kinda see why although I'm not (usually) embarrassed. He puts himself out there and kinda tries to be cool or whatever and sometimes sees what he can get away with and she hates that.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Octo is right though, I know two SLE E-7s and they're just like that, despite being CLEAR SLEs and not ILEs. She didn't say SLEs are embarrassed, they're not, she said they're EMBARRASSING like if you're with them they can be embarrassing to you. LOL Which is why the ESI (or possibly EII) wife of my SLE friend hates being in public with him, she's totally embarrassed by him. And I can kinda see why although I'm not (usually) embarrassed. He puts himself out there and kinda tries to be cool or whatever and sometimes sees what he can get away with and she hates that.
    Shes wrong. There are no E7 SLEs. And I know what she said, what I said was...not embarrassing, as in SLEs are not embarrasing, and they wouldn't do anything that would embarrass them unless they are seriously committed to something and don't care about what others think at that moment. We like to be liked, not made a fool of.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shes wrong. There are no E7 SLEs. And I know what she said, what I said was...not embarrassing, as in SLEs are not embarrasing, and they wouldn't do anything that would embarrass them unless they are seriously committed to something and don't care about what others think at that moment. We like to be liked, not made a fool of.
    Wrong.

Agee, remember that you're speaking about yourself, and that's fine. But you can't speak for every SLE in the world. Maybe get to know a bunch of others (and ones out of your age group) and you'll see the variety.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    ESTp 8
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrong.

Agee, remember that you're speaking about yourself, and that's fine. But you can't speak for every SLE in the world. Maybe get to know a bunch of others (and ones out of your age group) and you'll see the variety.
    No.

Banned
    TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

No.
    Sounds familiar.

Anyway, which sociotype is only E7?

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

LSI and SLE are very different types ime. Some significant points of difference:

Dichotomies:
    ESTp is Negativist-Strategic-Yielding-Farsighted-Result oriented type
    ISTj is Positivist-Tactical-Obstinate-Carefree-Process oriented type
    If you read up on these dichotomies (link), this is plenty of material to tell these two types apart. This works even in cases of extreme LSI-Se or SLI-Ti subtypes, since subtypes don't alter these dichotomies.

ISTjs as +Ti leading types project an attitude of "I know better". It's virtually impossible to make LSIs change their minds. As obstinate type, LSIs are "interest-protecting" which means whatever is the interest or idea that they are devoted to, they will protect it tooth-and-nail, get into arguments even physical confrontations if needed be. Their relationships with EIEs sometimes start with an argument over some idea or notion that the EIE challenges. From there they can either become best of friends, seeing that the other person wholly shares their views and interests, or alternatively become enemies if their interests don't coincide.

SLEs as Se leading types are more concerned with setting concrete goals and achieving them, but since their leading element comes with a (-) minus sign, -Se, this often involves SLE seeking ways to cut corners to achieve what they want in shortest time possible, and sometimes entails overtaking a project or a position. Seeking to quickly achieve their goals, the SLE is not as mindful of rules and regulations as the LSI, believing that they can re-shuffle and recreate these to fit their own ends (for example, successfully argue laws in court if needed be). As a yielding type, the SLE isn't concerned with defending some interests or ideas like the LSI, but easily borrows ideas from others and shares in their interests, seeing if they can also be adapted towards the SLE's goal. In real life interactions, this "ideological openness" and whatever idea works attitude that SLEs show makes LSIs wary of SLEs, as LSIs don't understand such "easy-comes easy-goes" lack of commitment to their interests of SLEs (obstinate vs. yielding type).

At social gatherings, male LSI's general demeanor can veer in direction of being cocky and overconfident (Positivists, leading +Ti), sometimes even narcissistic and self-promoting. As per previous forum discussion of ranking "aggressor" types, the LSI is the most "aggressor" of the four Se types (while ESI-Fi is least aggressor-like). An LSI can approach a girl he likes at a party and playfully insult her, for example, to see if he can coax out a leading Fe response (a furry of emotional indignation). SLEs, in comparison, are much more cautious in such situations and don't easily approach new people themselves in this manner (negativist, Fi PoLR type). SLE's as Negativists with Fi PoLR in general are more cautious around people than LSIs.

Intertype relationships:
    LSIs and SLEs have completely different set of intertype relationships. If someone types as LSI, but they don't feel supervised by ILEs (and ENTps are super easy to find almost anywhere to check on this), then that person isn't LSI. Because the supervisor type of LSI is ILE. Likewise, if someone types as SLE but doesn't feel supervised by ESIs (who are harder to find than ILEs) then that person's type isn't SLE.

Socionics intertype relationships will work accurately if and only if the person has typed themselves into their actual type. They won't work for them otherwise.

So ESTp is beneficiary of LIE, supervisee of ESI, benefactor of ESE, and supervisor of LII.
    LSI is beneficiary of SEI, supervisee of ILE, benefactor of ILI, and supervisor of SEE.

These large differences in networks of intertype relationships make it difficult to mistake LSIs and SLEs for one another.

In speech:
    LSIs as Ij-introverts are more brusque in conversations than ESTps. For other introverted types like IEI it may be difficult to hold a fluent and continuous conversation with an LSI for this reason. It sometimes seems like LSI's will throw out random impressions out there (Se-creative) with an unspoken expectation that someone else will come and weave them into a continuous storyline, which is accomplished by their dual EIE and their creative Ni.

SLEs on average are more talkative with greater continuity to what they say. They are also more superficial in their perceptions as extroverts, especially Se-subtype. SLE-Tis may be very brief in their commentary and resemble introverts, however, in this case the impression is that SLE-Tis are all too concerned with correcting and "debugging" the statements of other people, rather than building on a concept or an idea for themselves like LSIs do this with leading +Ti. With SLE-Tis it's almost like they insert themselves into a conversation to argue over some statement or other, while LSIs are a lot more preoccupied with building and explaining their own understanding of things (creative Ti vs. lead Ti).

Fe:
    With Fe HA, SLE has an on-going need for positive emotional feedback, such as receiving compliments, getting thanked for the job well done, being appreciated and loved by people around them. SLEs will change their behavior to receive such positive feedback. LSIs in general are much more impervious to Fe and linear in their behavior. While Fe's influence on SLE's mood is almost instantaneous, it takes weeks, months, and years for an LSI to finally integrate Fe into their Ti understanding. As an LSI girl once said, it took her 3 weeks to begin to understand why her neighbor was upset at her and "throwing fits", only then she changed what she was doing (leaving stuff in common hallway) to not upset him further.
    For a Fe-creatives this delay in response is quite noticeable, and this is what makes interactions of IEIs and SEIs with LSIs feel more exhausting - both Fe-creative types have to apply much more of their creative function to make a dent in LSI's behavior, so to say.

Same goes for Ti - Ti as creative function is situational for SLE's so they are oriented at what's the most logical way to act in any given situation. For LSIs, Ti is leading function so they will derive what is most logical overall, for all the time (leading function has a global outlook), rather than what makes sense for now. That is why people note that ESTps seem to be more flexible than ISTjs in their judgements and actions (and less consistent, depending on how you look at it). A decent description of how Ti-creative vs Ti-dominant manifests in attitudes and behaviors - link.

For visual examples I've typed this guy and this guy and this actress as ISTj as well as this well-known German philosopher.

Cognitive styles:
    Addition: Forgot to mention that ISTjs and ESTps have very different cognitive styles (as do all mirror types), so if one knows how to discern cog-styles then that's another way to tell them apart.

SLEs are H-P while ISTjs are C-D. HP cog-style makes SLE thinking be top-down, first see the overall picture then break it down into details. LSI's CD cog-style works in reverse, first grasping the particulars of a situation then building it up to an overall conclusion. Thus LSI's are in great need of something solid and verified to base their reasoning on. They think along a chain, and if the first few rings of that chain are weak or bogus, then LSI's entire chain breaks down leaving them in a disarray, confused or potentially depressed, not knowing how to proceed further. Thus LSI's are very wary and careful about the information they receive, preferring to verify and check it for themselves.

Cog-styles also explain why it is easier for IEI's to get along with SLEs, since IEI's chaotic V-S thinking style is naturally absorbed by the SLE, but it trips over ISTjs who cannot think clearly with the uncertainty and randomness that VS delivers. Cog-styles are possibly the reason for why ISTjs seem to have more difficulty with getting into socionics - socionics contains too much ambiguity that their precise CD thinking style doesn't handle well.
    Last edited by silke; 05-04-2020 at 12:05 AM. Reason: added info

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like this, from Gilly:

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    I dunno, I find it hard to prescribe specific traits that are consistently different; sure LSIs tend to be more stereotypically introverted, but I have encountered some VERY reserved Ti-SLEs, and some extremely outgoing and talkative LSIs of both subtypes, so that's not really a sure bet. Actually I tend to think that, while SLEs are more naturally outgoing and usually have more finely tuned people skills, LSIs as a group tend to be generally more sociable; they seem to get more out of it, and are probably more likely to socialize or talk casually, "just for fun," whereas an SLE's social life is generally either a realm in which power is to be gained, or geared towards specific discharge, getting praise, bonding with close friends, etc.

The real key, I think, is gauging the general energy, the sense of the person: when you interact with LSIs, they seem like they are coming from somewhere to talk to you, as though engaging with people is a sort of "venturing out" of their natural state. Even the really most outgoing of them seem like they are sort of reporting their thoughts to you; when "narrating" they tend to speak sequentially and categorically. Some of them talk really fast; sometimes they don't pay any heed to whether or not the person they are speaking to can understand them properly or keep up with their train of thought. If you just let them go, they can kind of steamroll conversations; to have effective two-way exchange with them you have to be able to tell both when it's "your turn" and when it's ok to interrupt them (and some of them DEFINITELY need to be interrupted, or they will rant for ages ).

SLEs, on the other hand, are ALWAYS gauging you in conversation, always calculating. The more talkative ones will use various tactics to draw you out, sometimes ranting as a way to throw you off or put you in a place where they can tell more about you, by entrancing you (watch out for the 3s here, especially ), making you uncomfortable, poking and prodding, or sitting back laconically until they see something they can bite at. They are always testing you, always trying to gauge where you stand; it almost seems like they are so certain of themselves, but nothing else at all. SLEs tend to seem more loose and sporadic than LSIs. Se-LSIs tend to have a "tight" feeling, like they are maintaining specific personal boundaries, and Ti-LSIs generally seem just very composed and maintained; SLEs are always more casual and receptive than either. Ti-SLEs, especially the 3s, can seem very composed, especially in a professional setting, and have a distinct almost dangerous-seeming coldness to them, but even then you can see a tinge of that potential skater punk/surfer just below the surface, ready to cut loose at the first sight of ruckus.
    There was another thread with some video, too. Can't remember now. Talking about the vibe, the energy level difference between the two. I also feel like there's an obvious VI difference.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by octo View Post
    The first thing I noticed about my SLE bf is that he's an Fe vampire - you give him an inch of Fe and he runs away with it... it's what made me think he was perhaps Fe-suggestive and made me think LSI first. Base/suggestive = rigid, creative/HA = flexible in dual pairs from my perspective.
    LSIs in comparison act like they almost don't need your 'useless' Fe, may be on rare occasions. I get a feeling that they blank it out somehow, while SLEs do indeed recharge from it.

Lol, I can't get my SLE into socionics regardless, he finds it pseudoscientific and overly theoretical, "pulled out of thin air", but he likes it when I use it to interpret social interactions, but after a while he calls bullshit/Barnum. He says he only cares about it insofar as I care about it, and he tries to get into it sometimes because he feels the need to validate himself according to a paradigm I believe in, even if he doesn't believe in it himself. Ti-creative "playing the game" I guess
    I was thinking about some LSIs on MBTI sites trying to get into socionics and abandoning it because they feel like have to restructure their whole understanding of typology. I remember squark mentioned it somewhere in a post, too, that she feels like if everything falls apart and she has to collect it together again that this felt very disconcerting to her.

There was another thread with some video, too. Can't remember now. Talking about the vibe, the energy level difference between the two. I also feel like there's an obvious VI difference.
    "The more talkative ones will use various tactics to draw you out, sometimes ranting as a way to throw you off or put you in a place where they can tell more about you, by entrancing you (watch out for the 3s here, especially ), making you uncomfortable, poking and prodding, or sitting back laconically until they see something they can bite at." -- this reminds me of a video I watched by a SLE guy, likely an 8, who was talking about how to use your body language and mannerisms to influence business negotiations, like picking up a paper clip and twisting it with your hand to make the person you're negotiating with feel unsettled and then they will be more likely to acquiesce. I don't feel that they are necessarily "calculating" though, may be that's what it feels like from EIE perspective.

How the LSI used to phrase things would spike my emotions because he would say things that I perceived as fucked up, like they were fact, and it pissed me the heck off.
    ^ this is a very good point, too, they can illicit a sharper reaction in me, and they do tend to state things in a categorical manner that seems provoking

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I think I know two male LSIs. One of them lives down the street and he's an ER doctor. The other one is an intellectual (but with a wide interest in all sorts of other things). I like them both but they do seem a bit rigid, in a way. They're definitely opinionated. Once you get to know them they will tell you what they think about things. Both very smart, which makes them interesting and fun to talk to. Both very into their families. Hands-on dads.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

You rely on sources to form your opinions which means that you gather your ideas from external world, making you an extravert.

Your dual does not rely on sources to form their opinions, basing them on whatever information they have available, hence deductive reasoning, making them more concerned about their own thoughts, hence being introverted thinkers.

Socionics can seem very technical because of this process. It's substitution and balance. You may find yourself being more like your dual over time by forming your own opinions based on information that you may not have and that is the grey area that starts to form between yourself and your dual.
    -

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You rely on sources to form your opinions which means that you gather your ideas from external world, making you an extravert.
    Only partly. Doesn't everyone look at outside sources, to some extent? I don't just believe whatever I'm told, I synthesize it with my own experience.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diam0nd View Post
    Limited experience, but here goes...

Both are prone to making premature assumptions but LSIs are more stubborn, and unexpected stuff baffles and scares them. They can fly into a rage and because of limited they can refuse to see other peoples perspectives, other than their own conclusion. May continue to argue even when they have been proven wrong (and they know this) Sometimes when you actually observe these blow ups it's quite scary but entertaining if you're not on the recieving end. Usually don't say sory afterwards...
    I generally see all perspectives, and I actually notice that many people are more hard-headed and stubborn, and close-minded concerning their beliefs than I am. I do argue, but it's not because I don't see other people's perspectives. It takes many to make a world. My belief systems are also constantly in a state of growth and change, as I take in new information. (When it comes to a "fact", and not a belief, it's a different story, although most of these are arguable too lol.)

I also think that most of the time, there is no "wrong", only someone else's perceptions and ideas. And I see that you describe us as having "blow ups" lol, which I suppose for some types, it may appear to be this way. I just think I carry a certain intensity about me, and I seem to be more upset or "blown up" than I really am, to some types who don't seek that sort of intensity. In other words, I'm seeking a general intensity in interaction, and I'm pretty-well nonchalant concerning the intensity, until the cops come lol..... I can just as well become really intense in a more positive way as an argumentative way.

I don't say I'm sorry because it's normal to me, and there's nothing to say I'm sorry about.... I will if I think it freaks someone out though, or it's too intense for them. (Taking someone else's needs into consideration).
    Last edited by jet city woman; 05-01-2012 at 02:31 PM.

TIM
    EII INFj
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Only partly. Doesn't everyone look at outside sources, to some extent? I don't just believe whatever I'm told, I synthesize it with my own experience.
    own experience is different from own thought and it's typical orientation, so in a way everyone does a portion of these functions
    -

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LSI: slow and steady wins the race. Immovable rock. Hard to convince. SLE: fast and mobile, unpredictable. Easy to convince.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Banned
    TIM
    ISTP Se-LSI 6w5cp sx
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    Hard to convince.
    Usually true, but not always. I can fall for something easily when it comes to my weaknesses. I find that my enneagram type 6 is a more accurate way to describe the situation: "It's really weird; I can be skeptical, even cynical, about all kinds of things, and then turn around and fall for something hook, line, and sinker."

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jet city woman View Post
    Usually true, but not always. I can fall for something easily when it comes to my weaknesses. I find that my enneagram type 6 is a more accurate way to describe the situation: "It's really weird; I can be skeptical, even cynical, about all kinds of things, and then turn around and fall for something hook, line, and sinker."
    I could see that being true about the male LSIs I know also.
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    LSI: slow and steady wins the race. Immovable rock. Hard to convince. SLE: fast and mobile, unpredictable. Easy to convince.
    maybe easy to convince in the moment, but they can then turn around and change their mind or become unconvinced when someone else tries to sway them another direction. :-/
    IEI-Fe 4w3

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know you asked for personal, real-world experience, but something that might be helpful is to look at the activity relations between Maxim-Esenin and Zhukov-Hamlet @ socionic.ru written by stratievskaya. I know wading through russian translations can be tedious, but I've found those to be informative in comparing particularly LSI and SLE, and IEI and EIE. I know at one time I was putting them into better english. . . don't know how much I actually got done, but should be on my computer someplace. Can PM what I find if you want red.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=jet city woman;867723]Usually true, but not always. I can fall for something easily when it comes to my weaknesses. I find that my enneagram type 6 is a more accurate way to describe the situation: "It's really weird; I can be skeptical, even cynical, about all kinds of things, and then turn around and fall for something hook, line, and

Better way for me to put it: give a lot of facts and evidence, then they would be convinced. But then they would stay convinced. And like you say, the emotional factor could work well, too.

ILE

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe easy to convince in the moment, but they can then turn around and change their mind or become unconvinced when someone else tries to sway them another direction. :-/
    So easy to initially convince, harder to keep convinced.

ILE

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast