Thread: Affirmation in Gamma

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Affirmation in Gamma

Would ILI be least likely to offer spoken affirmation? SEE are not great at it other imo.

IME LIEs don't have this problem, they can be quite affirming. What about other types?
    Last edited by Delilah; 09-05-2017 at 09:13 PM.

Will we start over, or circle the drain crazymaisy's Avatar
    TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILI need more information
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)
    I think in pictures, moving pictures...

Recommended Music - ILI-Ni

"And one peculiar point I see,
    As one of the many ones of me.
    As truth is gathered, I rearrange,
    Inside out, outside in, inside out, outside in,
    Perpetual change"

Yes - The Yes Album - from "Perpetual Change" (written by Howe and Squire)

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Great post!!!! <3

......Do not look to the ILI for sustained affirmation abilities, although they exist to some extent.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Ok when ILI is not affirming at all - conversely, ESE does it best. I do think that fits. LIE is also too impersonal, SEE would be the one able to give affirmation (ass-kicking in their case) the most in Gamma with their strong ethics.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

ILI does next to zero affirming. ILI<ESI<LIE<SEE

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When an ILI wants to be genuine and show support for loved ones and professional relationships, affirmation may indeed be present. It may be required.
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It´s not the best quadra for affirmation, although it may depend a bit on the context - LIEs can be quite affirming (sp?) during a specific activity, like boosting the morale, but are probably not that good at consoling people - too impersonal, as Chae said.
    SEEs can both be quite affirming and quite destructive depending on their personal desires/mood.

However, ILIs are really good at putting things in perspective. If you´re having a really negative moment and making mountains out of molehills, a ILI can easily calm you down and convince you that the situation is quite normal and will get back to its...well..normal not that great but ok state
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darya View Post
    Wrong!

TIM
    Gamma
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darya View Post
    Nonsense.

TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the more affirming types (LIE, SEE) need to create an example for something we could all relate to, then affirming/or not for each type, and then we actual types can give our explanation for our own opinion.
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)

Perpetual change"

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want affirmation just pay for it

Haikus
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Simo View Post
    If you want affirmation just pay for it
    Like hookers?

TIM
    ILI Te 7v6
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don`t need affirmation. Meybe becouse i`m 7

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sure, an example, something simple as paying compliments on your appearance etc; ILI i know was very bad at this. Something more complex maybe would be that I found out ILI was also bad at affirming any long term achievements say a milestone in one's experience; there's more but need to dig in my memory to list them all.

TIM
    ILI Te 7v6
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love many compliments. Sometimes people lie (i know that very well) but I not care about their intentions.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Remiel View Post
    Like hookers?
    more like motivational speakers or do you think they do their motivational speeches for free?

it's ok, everything will be fine totalize's Avatar
    TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I would prefer not to ever have to affirm people. I prefer my own knowledge whether those people are good/competent etc...

But sometimes you need to support people. Then if you need to give affirmation, the most important thing is the timing, not the content...
    CETERUM AUTEM CENSEO WASHINGTON D.C. ESSE DELENDAM

it's ok, everything will be fine totalize's Avatar
    TIM
    NAPOLEON
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Honestly to be normal with compliments is not hard. You just pay attention to people. Then sometimes you give honest compliment.

The fewer you give, the more meaningful... but do not give so few that nobody remembers.
    CETERUM AUTEM CENSEO WASHINGTON D.C. ESSE DELENDAM

TIM
    ILI-Ni GAMMA NH-c
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edd View Post
    I love many compliments. Sometimes people lie (i know that very well) but I not care about their intentions.
    I don't like compliments. Intentions are everything to me.

I don't like compliments from my husband even, too shallow, I want my intelligence complimented. There are some times when I wouldn't mind one (how I look, or something I did) I don't get any then though.

I get compliments on food I make at home, those are usually focused on aspects of it that aren't worthy, but the worthy aspect is usually ignored.

As it goes, compliments generally hit my Polr [FE] and that's bad. ILI-Ni
    Maisy
    ILI-Ni (INTp)

Perpetual change"

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Sometimes iei will explicitly ask for me to say something to cheer him up or congratulate him for a success and I try but everything comes out sounding like a flat cheesy infomercial even though I really do mean it. I'm very rarely in a state for it to come out naturally :/ I think my complete derpiness with this stuff doesn't come across online because I don't have to worry about tone of voice etc.

He goes over the top with compliments and I can be really skeptical and blow them off and he thinks it's bcuz I'm too hard on myself or something when really I'm like "why? What r u doing?" But. They seep into my feelings anyway.

Mentioned
    244 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Would ILI be least likely to offer spoken affirmation? SEE are not great at it other imo.

IME LIEs don't have this problem, they can be quite affirming. What about other types?
    Probably. They are called "the critic" for a reason. Im gonna use myself as an example here, even though its probably not a good idea but i dont think i know (or knew) any other ILIs so its better than nothing:
    ILIs are negativist, meaning they are not looking fot the positive in life, but the negative. They strive not for positivity, but for the absence of negativity.
    This means that they pretty much always have something negative to say about your potential endeavours, especially because they can see it coming from a mile away through their ni and, unlike their IEI counterparts, see it through a rather objective and harsh perspective (te instead of fe).

Theyd rather give constructive criticism in a brutally honest way than let you blindly walk of a cliff and "feel affirmed" to so it. Always take what we say with a grain of salt though, ni isnt always accurate, and oftwn ILIs regret that they didnt take action because they only saw the negative that could happen, instead of the positive. And of course, you learn from your mistakes, so not trying at all might also be a mistake sometimes.

If you need affirmation for affirmations sake ILI isnt your type. If you want to hear what they think is the brutal truth on the matter youre more than welcome to hear us out.

Affirmation for affirmations sake could be sought in ethical types. Mainly fe egos i think. Its a people pleasing thing. Also dont look for affirmation in ni leads, they also, like the ILI tend to "foresee"/anticipate bad events. So probably fe + si ego is best at it (or possibly se + fi) while te + ni is worst at it i guess

TIM
    ILI Te 7v6
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazymaisy View Post
    I don't like compliments. Intentions are everything to me.

I don't like compliments from my husband even, too shallow, I want my intelligence complimented. There are some times when I wouldn't mind one (how I look, or something I did) I don't get any then though.

I get compliments on food I make at home, those are usually focused on aspects of it that aren't worthy, but the worthy aspect is usually ignored.

As it goes, compliments generally hit my Polr [FE] and that's bad. ILI-Ni
    I think the same, but I learned to ignore false compliments. I do not know, I sense it. But I do not have a motive for anybody's intentions, so I learned to ignore false people or, if I have the intention, I can sense others' proficiency. These are things I can not do anything about. I do not poison myself this life.
    He respects people who can stand for honesty with themselves, me, other people. I abhor a lie, etc. There are things for me that I can not give up, I demand. If someone does not meet these requirements, I simply restrict the contact. Life's a waste of poisonous people.

TIM
    ILI Te 7v6
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lungs View Post
    Sometimes iei will explicitly ask for me to say something to cheer him up or congratulate him for a success and I try but everything comes out sounding like a flat cheesy infomercial even though I really do mean it. I'm very rarely in a state for it to come out naturally :/ I think my complete derpiness with this stuff doesn't come across online because I don't have to worry about tone of voice etc.

He goes over the top with compliments and I can be really skeptical and blow them off and he thinks it's bcuz I'm too hard on myself or something when really I'm like "why? What r u doing?" But. They seep into my feelings anyway.
    Also, I always look for intentions. I evaluate them and respond accordingly. No reaction in me is also reaction - just someone turned out not worth it.

TIM
    ILI Te 7v6
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Number 9 large View Post
    Probably. They are called "the critic" for a reason. Im gonna use myself as an example here, even though its probably not a good idea but i dont think i know (or knew) any other ILIs so its better than nothing:
    ILIs are negativist, meaning they are not looking fot the positive in life, but the negative. They strive not for positivity, but for the absence of negativity.
    This means that they pretty much always have something negative to say about your potential endeavours, especially because they can see it coming from a mile away through their ni and, unlike their IEI counterparts, see it through a rather objective and harsh perspective (te instead of fe).

Theyd rather give constructive criticism in a brutally honest way than let you blindly walk of a cliff and "feel affirmed" to so it. Always take what we say with a grain of salt though, ni isnt always accurate, and oftwn ILIs regret that they didnt take action because they only saw the negative that could happen, instead of the positive. And of course, you learn from your mistakes, so not trying at all might also be a mistake sometimes.

If you need affirmation for affirmations sake ILI isnt your type. If you want to hear what they think is the brutal truth on the matter youre more than welcome to hear us out.

Affirmation for affirmations sake could be sought in ethical types. Mainly fe egos i think. Its a people pleasing thing. Also dont look for affirmation in ni leads, they also, like the ILI tend to "foresee"/anticipate bad events. So probably fe + si ego is best at it (or possibly se + fi) while te + ni is worst at it i guess
    It is not like ILI sees only what is bad. Good things I can foresee too. And you don`t?

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

This is exactly why some of my best friends are ILI, as are my tax attorneys and my therapist. They counterbalance my optimism with some hard facts. I've found that ESI's can do that, too, but you have to really ask them, because they tend not to volunteer their negativism. Instead, they wait for me to propose some crazy endeavor, and then they start asking questions about what happens when this or that goes wrong.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The critic is only one version, there are many others. There are certainly people that are more "negative" than ILI. That is the perception of those who do not value truth and knowledge to the same degree. This is not the same thing as being a dick, which lacks empathy and compassion and criticizes just to antagonize.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The critic is a stereotype and does not apply to all ILIs.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    It´s not the best quadra for affirmation, although it may depend a bit on the context - LIEs can be quite affirming (sp?) during a specific activity, like boosting the morale, but are probably not that good at consoling people - too impersonal, as Chae said.
    SEEs can both be quite affirming and quite destructive depending on their personal desires/mood.

However, ILIs are really good at putting things in perspective. If you´re having a really negative moment and making mountains out of molehills, a ILI can easily calm you down and convince you that the situation is quite normal and will get back to its...well..normal not that great but ok state
    FDG, i've found the bolded true, even if i err on considering them not very affirming since they can be so hard on anyone in a way. I'm surprised at that since they're both emotion-creating and positivists in Reinin. I guess their irrational personality makes them unpredictable and difficult to put up with.
    Last edited by Delilah; 09-10-2017 at 04:43 AM.

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptitron View Post
    The critic is a stereotype and does not apply to all ILIs.
    Critics do not have to mean negative and critical I might add. Just commeting is a type of critique in a sense.