Thread: Ancient Goddesses Thread

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Ancient Goddesses Thread

Post information and/or pictures of goddesses that appeal to you. Can be of any mythological background, religion, or ancient text sources.

If you want, you can write a small text to summarize what they stand for, a story, or link other resources for legends centered around those goddesses.

Starting with:

Pele
    Fire Goddess of Hawaiian Mythology, representing the volcanoes of the islands in particular.
    The old religion she was part of treated the mountains as her holy temples.

Epithet: pele-honua-mea (Pele of the sacred land)
    Characteristics according to legends: Capriciousness, passion, power, ambition. Connected easily to water/waves and other elements like the wind, symbolized as her siblings in other myths.

Music inspired by her:

Last edited by Chae; 08-05-2017 at 05:45 PM.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Always been my top goddesses Lilith/Inanna/Ishtar. A lot of crossover.

"One cannot escape the sense of contradiction expressed in this image of a goddess. At first glance one sees a beautiful young goddess, but as the eye follows down the realistic figure, the raptorial talons shock the imagination. This is no goddess! This is some sort of demon, perhaps a harpy. However, the serenity of the face and the symmetry of the posture are dignified in their composure. The body of the goddess is so naturalistic it could have been modeled from life, yet the owls are stilted in their stylization. The accentuated femininity of the figure suggests an earthy sexuality, but the rod and ring held above either shoulder are geometric abstractions and symbolic of universal laws.

The mix of styles and symbols suggests a hybrid divinity, a link between ancient archetypes and more recent devolutions. According to Baring and Cashford (The Myth of the Goddess 1991) it is probable that the plaque represents "Innana in her role as the goddess of sky, earth and underworld, Queen of the Great Above and the Great Below." They go on to explain that

"The Sumerian word for owl is ninna and the name Nin-ninna given to the goddess in her owl form meant 'Divine Lady Owl'. The ancient texts also give the Akkadian word kilili for Nin-ninna, and this name was one shared by Innana and Ishtar. (Perhaps kilili is the original derivation of Lilith, who, much later, in biblical times, is called 'night-owl or screech-owl'."

They also note a possible connection to very ancient paleolithic (approximately 20,000 B.C.) symbols of the bird goddess."

http://analogicalplanet.com/Pages/Co...neyRelief.html

http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths...908?nopaging=1

http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths...296?nopaging=1

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Egyptian goddesses: Hathor (love) and Isis (healing).

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Norse Goddess of Death: Hel, ruler of the underworld. In some texts, she is described as being half corpse, half alive.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Lakshmi

"The Hindu goddess Lakshmi is the embodiment of beauty, love, and spiritual and material prosperity. In one Hindu myth, she emerges from a sea of churning milk on a pink lotus flower as the manifestation of amrita or the divine nectar said to bring bliss and loveliness to the world. Lakshmi in Sanskrit is derived from the root word laks and ananlaksa, which means “to perceive, observe” and “goal, aim, objective,” respectively. Together these give the meaning “to know and understand your goal” and this is just what Lakshmi and the medicine of the lotus flower provide.

The lotus flowers in her hands represent the journey that the lotus must make to reach its mark of completion. The lotus begins its journey in the dark muddy underworld of ravines and ponds and slowly works its way toward the light until it reaches the water’s surface where it blooms unsullied by the mud below. The spiritual teaching of the lotus helps us stay the course even when life is muddy and dark. Lakshmi and the lotus teach us that through diligence and faith we will reach our goals and find our time in the sun. The medicine of the lotus leaf is used for fertility in females, virility in males, is a gentle relaxant, antioxidant, helps with sleep, and is used in many rituals and culinary dishes." x
    Last edited by Chae; 08-07-2017 at 06:18 PM.

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its difficult to relate to these old goddesses. I lack the cultural background and I don't know what those ancient peoples felt about the goddess.

Modern goddesses are women in pop music. They are partially real people but we project ancient archetypes on them so they are partially non-human. The perfect feminine and so on.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    LIE ENTj
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to like the real more than the ideal when it comes to people. Still, Athena seems pretty cool, and Zeus's wife was an idiot, so I obviously have an opinion. Athena was the goddess of wisdom and the hearth. She was supposed to have a dedicated fire going for her in every city that cared, which I believe is a symbol of civilization. She also tended to give people knowledge and stuff, which I am a fan of. I'm not particularly very well versed in other goddesses than that, though.

I don't know why we're restricting it to goddesses, but my answer wouldn't change, at least off the top of my head.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrenology

An optimist - does not get discouraged under any circumstances. Life upheavals and stressful events only toughen him and make more confident. He likes to laugh and entertain people. Enters contact with someone by involving him with a humorous remark. His humor is often sly and contain hints and double meanings. Easily enters into arguments and bets, especially if he is challenged. When arguing his points is often ironic, ridicules the views of his opponent. His irritability and hot temper may be unpleasant to others. However, he himself is not perceptive of this and believes that he is simply exchanging opinions.

http://www.wikisocion.net/en/index.php?title=LIE_Profile_by_Gulenko

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Alomoes View Post
    I tend to like the real more than the ideal when it comes to people. Still, Athena seems pretty cool, and Zeus's wife was an idiot, so I obviously have an opinion. Athena was the goddess of wisdom and the hearth. She was supposed to have a dedicated fire going for her in every city that cared, which I believe is a symbol of civilization. She also tended to give people knowledge and stuff, which I am a fan of. I'm not particularly very well versed in other goddesses than that, though.

I don't know why we're restricting it to goddesses, but my answer wouldn't change, at least off the top of my head.
    Interesting that you bring it up, Zeus (SLE 7 Sx/So) and Hera (ESI 1 Sp/So) are in complete supervision, even enneagram-wise. Hestia was responsible for the hearth and had maidens that kept up the fire in a temple, Athena is wisdom + war. That's why she carries Nike - goddess of victory - in her right hand, with the spear and gorgon armor as other symbols.

(This is her large statue in Vienna, right before the Parliament House. Powerful.)

If you want to, feel free to open a thread for the male counterparts actually!

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am interested to talk to someone who has a real living connection to a Goddess.

Are there any catholics in this forum? Someone who prays to the virgin Mary on a regular basis?
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    305 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Aino

There has been some talk about creepy old men in this forum.

In the Finnish mythological epos Kalevala the girl Aino is being harrassed by old man Väinämöinen.

She doesn't seem to be a god, but rather a mythological figure (or Anima figure). Much of the characters in Kalevala seem to be more on the human side. Väinämöinen as the old wise man resembles God the father, but on the other hand he is a human being who cries and is clumsy, and lusts for girls. But he has superpowers as well.

Jung has written that when he hit his life crisis and started hallucinating he saw a young girl together with an old man. It seemed to him like an odd couple. The Anima with the wise old man.

Väinämöinen harrassing Aino (later 1900 century interpretation):

He first saw her in the forest:

Last edited by Tallmo; 08-18-2017 at 02:34 PM.

(Jung on Si)

TIM
    SLI, 9-1
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bastet
    Bastet was originally a lioness warrior goddess of the sun throughout most of ancient Egyptian history, but later she was changed into the cat goddess which is familiar today. Greeks occupying ancient Egypt toward the end of its civilization changed her into a goddess of the moon.

Diana
    In Roman mythology, Diana [djˈaː.na] was the goddess of the hunt, the moon, and nature being associated with wild animals and woodland, and having the power to talk to and control animals. She was eventually equated with the Greek goddess Artemis, though she had an independent origin in Italy.

Hera
    Hera is the goddess of women and marriage in Greek mythology and religion. One of her characteristics is her jealous and vengeful nature against Zeus's other lovers and offspring and against the mortals who cross her. Hera is commonly seen with the animals she considers sacred including the cow, lion and the peacock.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

@Diana wow now I understand! It's always cool to know the origins of usernames.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Not technically a goddess but...

Cassandra or Kassandra (Ancient Greek: Κασσάνδρα, pronounced [kas̚sándra], also Κασάνδρα), also known as Alexandra, was a daughter of King Priam and of Queen Hecuba of Troy in Greek mythology.

Cassandra was cursed to speak true prophecies that no one believed. A common version of her story relates how, in an effort to seduce her, Apollo gave her the power of prophecy: when she refused him, he spat into her mouth to inflict a curse that nobody would ever believe her prophecies. Another version has her fall asleep in a temple, where snakes licked (or whispered in) her ears so that she could hear the future.[a]

Cassandra became a figure of epic tradition and of tragedy.

In modern usage her name is employed as a rhetorical device to indicate someone whose accurate prophecies are not believed by those around them.

TIM
    SLI, 9-1
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, and it is also my real name! Thanks to my parents