Thread: your thoughts on the death of bowie?

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default your thoughts on the death of bowie?

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3m7md4

Yassassin, David Jones?

Something happened on the day he died
    Spirit rose a metre and stepped aside
    Somebody else took his place, and bravely cried
    (I'm a blackstar, I'm a blackstar)
    How many times does an angel fall?
    How many people lie instead of talking tall?
    He trod on sacred ground, he cried loud into the crowd

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is an interesting time to discuss, given he died over 2 years ago. However, it often takes some time to fully process someone's death, whether a family member or a loved public figure, so perhaps now is as good a time as January 2016.

His death hit me kind of hard, although I'm not usually bothered too much by celebrity deaths. I think the last celebrity death to really hit me that hard was Robin Williams.

I've been a Bowie fan since my early teens. Although I'm fully aware of human mortality, it never occurred to me he'd be gone some day. It took me a while to really come to grips with the loss. But he left a pretty solid legacy of work behind, and people will be discussing his music for decades to come, at least as long they've been discussing Elvis and The Beatles.

Farewell, comrades Not A Communist Shill's Avatar
    TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

He was basically god to me, in a good way. But the period between his 2003 album and his penultimate album in 2013 during which he stopped touring in large part due to health issues and went through 10 years without releasing an album made him seem mortal and so him dying didn't have such a shock to me as it should. Even though it had a significant shock. In 2009 Michael Jackson died, which is directly comparable, although I wasn't a fan, and his death was probably more of a shock to society (particularly Americans, possibly) due to age. But that possibly influenced my thinking at the time in regards DB. In 2011 The Flaming Lips released a song "Is David Bowie Dying?", which I thought was quite insensitive, even if it reflected a sentiment that I myself had "Is David Bowie Mortal?". I thought him dying immediately after his last birthday and last album were released was a brilliant piece of performance art. I didn't watch the news reportage so much as I did for example with Michael Jackson (this may be in part due to Bowie always having a sense of mystery about his art, whereas MJ's death was quite vulgar and out in the open). Maybe I thought that all the vox populi didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know and so it wasn't really "news" to me.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But is David Robert Hayward-Jones alive? That is the question. (OK, not the only question, but that article is interesting and even if you think of course Bowie is dead and not just tired of touring I feel like it'd merit more comments. All Bowie songs are written in interesting ways like that.)

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    He was basically god to me, in a good way.
    Everybody worships

Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is pretty cool