Thread: Passion in its various forms

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Passion in its various forms

There are different adjectives that can be used to describe passion. A passion can be toward a person (perhaps a spouse), a cause (perhaps saving the rainforest), or a thing (perhaps bread). Employers like to hire people who are passionate about the job. Passion makes things get done.

A common type of passion is a fiery or burning passion. Lustful passion can be this, but so can any passion that has an overpowering urgency or desire. I think a burning passion is undesirable because it leads one to act on impulse.

But a passion can also be heavy or weighty. There's not so much an urgency or a desire related to this one; it might be closer to a sense of destiny or need.

What other types of passion are there? Is there an air passion and a water passion as well as a fire passion and an earth passion?

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

com-passion, to feel deeply with someone else (or for someone else)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ooo View Post
    com-passion, to feel deeply with someone else (or for someone else)
    I recently looked into the meaning of compassion, and it looks like the feeling with someone is empathy. Compassion is the next step: sincerely wanting to help.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Passion to me can be broken down to dedication x identification. When you are passionate, you're so 100% behind what you do that it becomes you. Or when you're passionate about a person, you merge yourself with the feeling you get from them. It's also the secret of romance or lust, you fall in love with the rush you experience induced by the person, not the person itself. But again: you identify and commit.

A passionate person talks as if the thing or person they focus on comes from their innermost soul where it was integrated. It's a matter of distance, what you are not passionate about you do not associate with, it does not resonate, there is no effort. That's why I equal passion with success, you need to become what you want.

In other words, passion is an extreme overlapping.

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes the term is often misread... "patior" is the latin term where it all comes from, it means "to suffer" but even "to endure", "to allow", "to tolerate". the term passion is opposed to 'action', because the subject is submitted to the pain.. or whatever the action implies.

have you ever read The Unbearable Lightness of the Being, by Kundera?, it describes compassion in the best way ever explained... basically it is essential to love someone.

"mercy" is more in line with taking action to help someone out of pity...

I think compassion perfectly translates into empathy as well, they're synonyms or smth

(sorry for the lesson)

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

yes the term is often misread... "patior" is the latin term where it all comes from, it means "to suffer" but even "to endure", "to allow", "to tolerate". the term passion is opposed to 'action', because the subject is submitted to the pain.. or whatever the action implies.

I think compassion perfectly translates into empathy as well, they're synonyms or smth
    Ah, interesting. No wonder google wasn't giving me a straight answer regarding the difference between them.
    (etymology is welcome)

it describes compassion in the best way ever explained... basically it is essential to love someone.
    Hm. I would say rather love brings compassion: switch the order.

"mercy" is more in line with taking action to help someone out of pity... )
    No. Mercy is not taking action against someone who deserves it. So compassion is kind because of action and mercy is kind because of inaction.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah! misericordia in latin: to feel (in one's heart) for another one's misery. yes you're right there's no action involved, but more the feeling of pity, which is something usually ascribed to compassion... I feel like I derailed the thread!