Thread: Western Astrology

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Western Astrology

You can DIY. You can check your chart here www.astro.com . They also offer some free readings, but it is much better if you use this site http://www.oocities.org/rbltre/astro/mainindex.html . For general infomation on western astrology, I recommend this site http://bobmarksastrologer.com/TOClessons.htm

For experimentations, this site www.astrotheme.com is very useful because it contains a huge database of celebrities, and you can search celebrities with a certain position, or aspect(s).

I don't do readings, but if you post your birth data I might take a look at it.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Last edited by ashlesha; 02-16-2018 at 10:18 PM.

TIM
    IXXp 639 sp/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also read the info on the oocities website so it's good; is there any other info the chart might have?Screenshot_20180213-225346.jpg

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am interested in this. One of my projects is to learn (western) astrology. I want to get into these forgotten esoteric traditions. Not that astrology is that forgotten anymore. Youtube is full of people talking about it.

I think the biggest challenge is to get a living feeling for the symbolism. Of the zodiac, of the planets. Without it astrology is just a system of signs.

Reading interpretations of the signs help, but ideally one would have to get closer to the original experience of the animals etc of the zodiac that has given birth to the symbolism.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice links there @lavos.

some lil tips for who wishes to approach astrology, since there's so much stuff to look at: avoid looking at the "shapes" created inside the wheels (bobmarks' link 10.0 and 15.0), they're completely useless and there's already enough material to remember without getting into them.

and please, don't foretell anything, astrology is not about that (this is a branch called horary astrology and it causes more worry than good).

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ooo View Post
    nice links there @lavos.

some lil tips for who wishes to approach astrology, since there's so much stuff to look at: avoid looking at the "shapes" created inside the wheels (bobmarks' link 10.0 and 15.0), they're completely useless and there's already enough material to remember without getting into them.

and please, don't foretell anything, astrology is not about that (this is a branch called horary astrology and it causes more worry than good).
    I don't usually look at the shapes of chart, but I do use the complex aspects sometimes. Grand trine, T-Square, etc. There's a bunch of them, different from each other, and they can be relevant (for example, a grand trine tells of a beneficial relationship between 3 planets -- a definite strength and a safeguard against negative aspects).

Checking transiting planets can be useful to know under which temporary influences you might be. It is a vital part of astrology.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lavos View Post
    I don't usually look at the shapes of chart, but I do use the complex aspects sometimes. Grand trine, T-Square, etc. There's a bunch of them, different from each other, and they can be relevant (for example, a grand trine tells of a beneficial relationship between 3 planets -- a definite strength and a safeguard against negative aspects).
    Grand trine and Tsquare are telling because of the elements involved rather than the shape itself. I agree these 2 have some meaning for this reason, but the yod, the rectangles and stuff, are basically just that, shapes- pointing to something else. And even the G-trine and the T-squares are often misinterpreted just because they're there and so oh look at that t-square! (which can turn to be the best thing in a chart, same thing for the grand trine which can instead be bad!)

Checking transiting planets can be useful to know under which temporary influences you might be. It is a vital part of astrology.
    If you mention influences, that is psychological energies, I agree. But often people will check transits and make progressions or use horary methods (glad to see it's not in the link you gave!) to expect to know what kind of colour the couch they're laying on is, and that has nonsense.
    Last edited by ooo; 02-15-2018 at 08:06 PM.

TIM
    sp/sx
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    IXXp 639 sp/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    Not a fan of my western astrology chart. It wants me to be SEE-Se and 7w8... lol.

I prefer the sidereal system.
    This has always puzzled me; for now I'm still reading up and starting to understand what makes for the different positioning in sidereal vs western astrology (the diff. of about 23 degrees) the few websites I checked mentioned stuff like the actual position of a planet in a constellation is taken into account in sideral and the calculated position in western; then they went on to explain how sidereal astrology, unlike western, does not take the Spring Equinox as its starting point...all in all sidereal seems very compelling.
    In case you first knew of your western chart and then the sidereal one, was there a point before knowing the sidereal one where you felt identified with the western one?
    There are some things in my western chart I can relate to...but there are also some in the other one, and there's a lot of people I know whose western chart (apparently at least) fits them very well (if they know their chart before doing a reading with someone else there's also a chance for bias though...) anyway, I'm curious lol, what are the main differences in your two charts and how do you relate to them?
    Last edited by NdFeB08; 02-15-2018 at 07:58 PM.

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a fan of my western astrology chart. It wants me to be SEE-Se and 7w8... lol.
    How can it tell so?! Very interested to see how you draw such a conclusion out of a chart

Hacking your soul since the beginning of time Hitta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm not convinced there is any significance to western astrology other than the houses. I've probably looked at 5,000 charts, maybe many more. I've crunch numbers, did statistical analyses of the various situations that I could conjure up. I find a lot of significant trends in side-real. The trends aren't as strong in tropical. There is western side-real. I do think that there are some interesting theories in western astrology that should be examined more closely (midpoints for example do seem to have some significance) that tend to work once used in sidereal charts. I don't have a problem with people looking at their tropical chart, I just don't see a pattern to it.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

jessica129:scrotums r hot

:" hitting cap makes me envision cervix smashing"

TIM
    IXXp 639 sp/so
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not at all, I was a huge skeptic because I could not relate to much. I actually wrote off astrology as silly for years because I could not relate much with my Western chart. It was to the point of where I would roll my eyes when others around me were talking about astrology.

In my western chart I am a Aires ascendant with Jupiter in Aires in the first house, with tons of fire in my chart and hardly any earth. Apparently this is supposed to make for very outgoing, vibrant, enthusiastic and ambitious individuals who make great leaders (something that does not fit me at all; I am actually the opposite of that). That, added with my moon being in Sagittarius...

My Sidereal chart on the other hand, fits eerily well. I am a Pisces ascendant, with Jupiter in Pisces in the first house conjunct Rahu, with both fire and water balanced equally, and the other elements were a bit more balanced as well. That, added with the descriptions of the individual Nakshatras in Vedic astrology, plus the predictive aspects of Vedic, I was kind of blown away with how accurate it was and how everything fell into place by taking life events and personal challenges into account. It all could be coincidental of course, but to me it came off as a bit too coincidental to dismiss or write off. Vedic astrology even had an explanation for my Te PoLR, (Ketu in Virgo with a malefic Mercury), and my weak Se (little to no Mars energy, plus Mars being in Gemini can give someone ADD, which I have lol).

I'm not saying that everyone's western chart is inaccurate, but for me the differences in degrees made a rather large difference.
    There's hardly a starker contrast than the archetypal warrior/aries and priestess/pisces lol; I see, thanks for sharing.
    The difference in ascendant does seem like a crucial point when it comes to someone's character as it rules over manifestation of the self and external personality (among others). Seeing how different cardinal fire and mutable water are it certainly isn't a change that can be ignored...

Probably those with an ascendant and/or sun sign that falls around 25 deg of a sign wouldn't see that particular difference since despite the change in degrees the main sign would remain the same, so broad traits do as well and the aspects between most planets would also probably remain.
    First I forgot about MBTI to learn Socionics and now I'm ditching western for sidereal lol

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my western chart I am a Aires ascendant with Jupiter in Aires in the first house, with tons of fire in my chart and hardly any earth. Apparently this is supposed to make for very outgoing, vibrant, enthusiastic and ambitious individuals who make great leaders (something that does not fit me at all; I am actually the opposite of that). That, added with my moon being in Sagittarius and sun being in Gemini... I surely should have been born an extrovert, and a zany "take charge" one at that.

Vedic astrology even had an explanation for my Te PoLR (Ketu in Virgo with a malefic Mercury), and my weak Se (little to no Mars energy, plus Mars being in Gemini can give someone ADD, which I have lol).

I see. Well Signs alone mean very little, and it's just the first approach to astrology to say "I'm this sign I'm this and that". It's as well a bit shallow to say fire= success, outgoing, boss, etc. Fire was associated to Intuition by Jung, not to success and strength.
    You were born during the night, and that alone could indicate introversion, for the Sun is below the horizon. Further, you were born during a full moon and that alone can indicate introversion/greater contact with one's subconscious (it would support your self typing with Ni).
    Lastly, if your Mars were to be in Cancer in tropical that would make another even weaker position for Mars, and ADD can't be explained with a single position in one's chart, sorry to disappoint.

ps, By the way you say you having fire in both systems, and in sidereal you just have more earth... I mean...

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I remember noticing I had a bunch of stuff in retrograde and wondering if that was meaningful but not finding any satisfactory answer for that, any pros wanna fill me in?

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting! btw how did you know I was born during the night on a full moon? I must have mentioned that in chatbox and just forgotten about it.

Do you have any links to the sources of the moon phases? I'm intrigued now. Everything I've read about sun opposite moon says I will just be an indecisive and flaky person (which I am lol).
    I have no access to the chat lol, I'd like to lurk on people but I can't. When Sun and Moon are in opposite signs that means Full moon, western charts are just very very precise planetary clocks ; ), same story for the Asc, it's the sunrise when the Asc is in the sign position of your Sun, this means you should be born somewhat around midnight. Sorry to creep you out

I'm gonna look for something good about the moon phases but you can just google "moon phases meaning astrology" and look what you find, I've read much in italian but will see what I can do ^^
    http://www.lunarium.co.uk/articles/p...f-the-moon.jsp this doesn't seem bad
    Last edited by ooo; 02-15-2018 at 10:02 PM.

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    I remember noticing I had a bunch of stuff in retrograde and wondering if that was meaningful but not finding any satisfactory answer for that, any pros wanna fill me in?
    it means the energy of said planet is introjected, rather than expressed in its common quality... retrograde planets are very debated anyway, ...7 planets woah! '84 was a tough year very briefly... retrograde are often considered problematic because the energy is introjected, not fully expressed. this gives a lot of creative potential anyway but on the other way there's a risk to not let things get out and suffer from this

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not at all, I was a huge skeptic because I could not relate to much. I actually wrote off astrology as silly for years because I could not relate much with my Western chart. It was to the point of where I would roll my eyes when others around me were talking about astrology.

In my western chart I am a Aires ascendant with Jupiter in Aires in the first house, with tons of fire in my chart and hardly any earth. Apparently this is supposed to make for very outgoing, vibrant, enthusiastic and ambitious individuals who make great leaders (something that does not fit me at all; I am actually the opposite of that). That, added with my moon being in Sagittarius and sun being in Gemini... I surely should have been born an extrovert, and a zany "take charge" one at that.

My Sidereal chart on the other hand, fits eerily well. I am a Pisces ascendant, with Jupiter in Pisces in the first house conjunct Rahu, with both fire and water balanced equally, and the other elements were a bit more balanced as well. That, added with the descriptions of the individual Nakshatras in Vedic astrology, plus the predictive aspects of Vedic, I was kind of blown away with how accurate it was and how everything fell into place by taking life events and personal challenges into account. It all could be coincidental of course, but to me it came off as a bit too coincidental to dismiss or write off. Vedic astrology even had an explanation for my Te PoLR (Ketu in Virgo with a malefic Mercury), and my weak Se (little to no Mars energy, plus Mars being in Gemini can give someone ADD, which I have lol).

I'm not saying that everyone's western chart is inaccurate, but for me the differences in degrees made a rather large difference.
    I can tell you are moola. Everything about you screams moola. For example you and Amanda Cerny imo have a similar vibe about you, the moola vibe.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer the sidereal system.
    Show your chart.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitta View Post
    I'm not convinced there is any significance to western astrology other than the houses. I've probably looked at 5,000 charts, maybe many more. I've crunch numbers, did statistical analyses of the various situations that I could conjure up. I find a lot of significant trends in side-real. The trends aren't as strong in tropical. There is western side-real. I do think that there are some interesting theories in western astrology that should be examined more closely (midpoints for example do seem to have some significance) that tend to work once used in sidereal charts. I don't have a problem with people looking at their tropical chart, I just don't see a pattern to it.
    I know you have made up your mind regarding sidereal vs tropical, but when I look at you, I see an Aries, not a Pisces. I'm also not the sign I'm supposed to be in sidereal. The nakshatras are good, but IMO everything else in western is superior (although they also go into much more detail with the nodes of the moon, which is nice).

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intresting. What about Hitta comes off as Aries to you? I've known him for years now, and he comes off as extremely intuitive and in his own world most of the time, even if his sense of humor is crude...

My mental image of Hitta is actually a floating Buddha with a cigar lol
    That's because he is ILI, but he is much too feisty to fit the pisces pattern.

Mentioned
    300 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know you have made up your mind regarding sidereal vs tropical, but when I look at you, I see an Aries, not a Pisces. I'm also not the sign I'm supposed to be in sidereal. The nakshatras are good, but IMO everything else in western is superior (although they also go into much more detail with the nodes of the moon, which is nice).
    lol I agree, to me Hitta comes off as an Aries, anyway I know Pisceans who act like tough balls like him, despite they're really not. The thing is just that... there's so much more than signs to astrology, and focusing on that part only is diminishing of its entire practise. This is even one of the reasons I like astrology better than socionics, the shades are infinite, it's not just about "you're this dominant then your least used energy is this." saying 2+2 = 4 when talking of human personalities is indeed rather limiting.

I even think that establishing the superiority of one system in respect to the other is a bit silly, because we tropicalists use the sidereal time to cast the charts, and the siderealists still base their entire notions on the tropical system. If you study enough you'll just see both systems have their pros and cons, so in the end it's like favoring Celsius over Fharheint, what's better? I've always used C, therefore I'll stick to it, but it's not like F is bullshit as a consequence.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is your nickname ashlesha if you don't have anything in ashlesha?

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I don't understand Vedic but @Hitta says I'm ashlesha moon I hope I didn't name myself based on faulty information!

TIM
    sp/sx
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't understand Vedic but @Hitta says I'm ashlesha moon I hope I didn't name myself based on faulty information!
    Ashlesha is currently about 12°40' - 26° Leo in the tropical/western zodiac, so your DC would be in it if that is in fact your chart

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nakshatras

Edit: This list is slightly off relevant to now (its about 2 degrees ahead), if you want to find out the exact nakshatra you should put your data in a calculator that will account for sidereal positions at your time of birth
    Last edited by soulclap; 02-16-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soulclap View Post
    Ashlesha is currently about 12°40' - 26° Leo in the tropical/western zodiac, so your DC would be in it if that is in fact your chart

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nakshatras
    What's DC?

TIM
    sp/sx
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From http://www.sunnyray.org/Astrological-houses.htm

Descendant (DC) - the Western Horizon
    Positioned face-to-face with the Ascendant in the astrology chart is the Descendant. While in the ascendant our ego is expressed, here we find all those properties and personal characteristics that we repress in ourselves, or maybe some of those that come alive only when we compare ourselves with others. It can be something we admire in other people, but it can also be a habit or a character feature we find annoying in others.

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Now I have to change my name again....

TIM
    sp/sx
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hehe

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

when I tried looking it up myself it says my nakshatra is ashlesha and my moon is karka. I thought nakshatra and moon were the same thing.
    maybe something is wrong somewhere in my info.
    my brain processes all this data about as well as it processes math equations tho. like, not at all.

TIM
    sp/sx
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its helpful to think of the nakshatras like cutting up the zodiac wheel into 27 signs instead of the traditional 12 (Aries, Taurus, Gemini, etc).

Basically its like seeing if a planet you have falls within one of those nakshatras just like you see if a planet falls within a sign. If you use traditional vedic astrology, the nakshatras and the signs occupy the same space and are anchored to each other by the same starting point. If you use western tropical astrology, the nakshatra wheel and the zodiac wheel need to be checked separately since they reference different starting points.

The sidereal/vedic is currently something like this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gcl8sPg4m4...eel+Purple.png

The tropical/western is currently something like this:

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/fd/59/07/f...4a93dfd49a.jpg

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

when I tried looking it up myself it says my nakshatra is ashlesha and my moon is karka. I thought nakshatra and moon were the same thing.
    maybe something is wrong somewhere in my info.
    my brain processes all this data about as well as it processes math equations tho. like, not at all.
    Karka means Cancer, Ashlesha is in Cancer. You moon is in karka in the nakshatra of ashlesha.

Some nakshatras are in more than one sign. For example Chitra is in both Kanya(Virgo) and Tula(Libra). Ashlesha is only in Cancer, as it makes up the final four padas of Cancer.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is definitely not her chart. She was born in 1984. 1984 has Jupiter in Sagittarius, Saturn in Libra, Rahu in Taurus. This isn't her Tropical/western chart either(this is probably the tropical chart for May 5th). So more than likely you have input the wrong date.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitta View Post
    This is definitely not her chart. She was born in 1984. 1984 has Jupiter in Sagittarius, Saturn in Libra, Rahu in Taurus. This isn't her Tropical/western chart either(this is probably the tropical chart for May 5th). So more than likely you have input the wrong date.
    It was may 5th instead of may 8th. Lol I fucked up the thread with this stuff, I'll fix the post with my chart in it.

SORRY!!!!

I THOUGHT my western moon was supposed to be Leo...

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bgdjf View Post
    LMAO HONESTLY

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what's the link to the chart making thing? there's too much crap going on on that site for me to deal with finding it.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast