Hybrid View

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    I've known many SLE but one in particular stands out because I was his supervisor at work. He was quite bright although he barely scraped through engineering school; he could solve technical problems so very easily but producing a final report was near impossible for him. He was the ultimate deflector and excuse maker so I had my hands full as a supervisor but on a personal level, I liked him and we communicated well; I was never sure of his opinion of me. One comment that stood out, although not in his exact words, was that I should be able to tell people what they want to hear even though I couldn't deliver what they wanted. I thought that there lies my shortcoming as a manager in his eyes - and I was glad to be perceived as having such a shortcoming.

a.k.a. I/O
    I don't like writing reports, it's extremely boring. Solving the problems and then moving on, endless report-writing is what LII love but that comes at the expense of actually getting things done quickly. Granted, sometimes the old reports can be useful, but still I feel like I'm much more productive than LII are despite slacking off half the time. My LII colleague (I consider him a friend as well) recently said to someone when he thought I couldn't hear that my work output is very high but he doesn't think it's always the correct things.
    In my opinion the biggest shortcoming of LII is lack of drive to make bold quick decisions and tendency to resign into a "nothing can be done about this, it just has to be endured" mindset, especially if the reason is a non-compliant person. The LII originally requested me to be the lead engineer in the projects he manages because he wanted someone that is able to "whip people" into working. And that has turned out well. One funny thing is how he's been trying to buy himself a new (used) car during the 3,5 years we've known, but the few times he finds the one that has all the right creature comforts, rare add-ons, correct condition etc. he ends up considering it for too long and someone else snatches it from before his nose. I've offered to drive with him through the night to pick one up if he wants and always urge him to call about the cars but somehow he always fails to act in time.

I also think LII are overly concerned with politeness and correct behavior and correct "order" of things, but I realize that sometimes my lack of tact and directness can be badly received. However, in the work climate of engineering and heavy industry, directness and non-nonsense talk usually is received better than worse.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Northstar View Post
    ........ One funny thing is how he's been trying to buy himself a new (used) car during the 3,5 years we've known, but the few times he finds the one that has all the right creature comforts, rare add-ons, correct condition etc. he ends up considering it for too long and someone else snatches it from before his nose. I've offered to drive with him through the night to pick one up if he wants and always urge him to call about the cars but somehow he always fails to act in time.

I also think LII are overly concerned with politeness and correct behavior and correct "order" of things.....
    LIIs tend to be perfectionists, which at times is a big plus but other times is their undoing. Their tendency to hesitate to think of potential consequences makes them good managers but poor leaders. They also tend to not like buying second-hand or taking over someone else's work. Your friend's lack of speed in buying a car may be his subconscious not really wanting to buy anything less than his concept of perfect. The correct order of things is more of an LSI trait. However, most Ijs tend to be polite and exhibit non-controversial behaviour.

a.k.a. I/O

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
    LIIs tend to be perfectionists, which at times is a big plus but other times is their undoing. Their tendency to hesitate to think of potential consequences makes them good managers but poor leaders. They also tend to not like buying second-hand or taking over someone else's work. Your friend's lack of speed in buying a car may be his subconscious not really wanting to buy anything less than his concept of perfect. The correct order of things is more of an LSI trait. However, most Ijs tend to be polite and exhibit non-controversial behaviour.

a.k.a. I/O
    Yeah, I think almost every time he finds something not quite right with the car, so he prefers to stick with his "known good" old vehicle. Those few times he's found something very unblemished and correctly equipped, they are quickly snatched because of high desirability. That being said, he has a good ability to find good deals and hidden gems.
    It's true that LSI are more concerned with 'due process', his insistence of sticking to protocol is more in the realm of social behavior. Such as giving people early notice of meetings and wanting to send out detailed minutes of meetings before calling the next one. It's the perfectionism that doesn't let him send an e-mail that isn't very well composed and extremely clear (though the Ti brand of clarity sometimes becomes more muddled in practice for some ethical types).