Thread: Heaven, Hell and Purgatory

Hybrid View

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Purgatory has always confused me. The concept was first appeared sometime in the Middle Ages and no denomination except Roman Catholicism adheres to it. Why would sins need to be "purged" when God is capable of just forgiving the sinner about to enter into Heaven?

TIM
    I don't know
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dauphin View Post
    Purgatory has always confused me. The concept was first appeared sometime in the Middle Ages and no denomination except Roman Catholicism adheres to it. Why would sins need to be "purged" when God is capable of just forgiving the sinner about to enter into Heaven?
    For people who believe in purgatory, then maybe they would answer God didn't want to do that and purgatory was a system God wanted to create. I don't know why the Roman Catholic Church wouldn't have at least one answer to that. And people like me who don't believe in God would just ask... why did God create Jesus to die on the cross if he could've just saved people without creating Jesus. And many Christians would have one or more answers to that, but that doesn't mean that any of their answers are right.

The Bible and the Quran are loaded with inconsistencies; they are not all scientific. People who believe in God and try to understand are inconsistent by going along with some inconsistencies while not going along with other inconsistencies.

TIM
    heartless
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Disturbed View Post
    For people who believe in purgatory, then maybe they would answer God didn't want to do that and purgatory was a system God wanted to create. I don't know why the Roman Catholic Church wouldn't have at least one answer to that. And people like me who don't believe in God would just ask... why did God create Jesus to die on the cross if he could've just saved people without creating Jesus. And many Christians would have one or more answers to that, but that doesn't mean that any of their answers are the right answer.

The Bible and the Quran are loaded with inconsistencies; they are not all scientific. People who believe in God and try to understand are inconsistent by going along with some inconsistencies while not going along with other inconsistencies.
    Bolded. The thing is people have free will to do as they please, this is the ego or knowledge of good and evil if you wish. Faith is giving up this free will of the ego for the divine will, the will of god. Jesebus was there to show people the way to divine will, he had to show people faith in the face of cruelty, that god will rebuild its house(body of a faithful) in three days (ressurection).
    I can go on saying the purgatory would be people's attempt at purifying more than something god made, it's the ego and divine will fighting in a person, when they give up the freedom of good and evil, they reunite in god's will, achieving paradise. The purgatory is god's creation in the way god is in all of us and shoulders all sins.
    I'm no christian but I like making "sense" of that stuff, so forgive this comment, I'm not trying to convince anyone just flexin' the spiritual muscles because I find it fun.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why did God create Jesus to die on the cross if he could've just saved people without creating Jesus...
    The new covenant...the ripping of the veil...what phi said.

That's true but I don't think there are many literalists of the Bible left. At its core it's a mishmash of evolving narrative and you can visualize who's behind each story e.g. the people behind the story of the Levite's concubine would put any monarchist party to shame. But it doesn't stop it from being beautiful and powerful.