Thread: Niels Bohr

Threaded View

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Niels Bohr

One of the fathers of Quantum Theory.

I am assuming most people here don't know much about him -- so what do say from VI? I have selected as broad a range of pictures as I could find.

Niels Bohr quotes: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Niels_Bohr

"Physics is to be regarded not so much as the study of something given a priori, but rather as the development of methods of ordering and surveying human experience. In this respect our task must be to account for such experience in a manner independent of individual subjective judgement and therefore objective in the sense that it can be unambiguously communicated in ordinary human language."

Every valuable human being must be a radical and a rebel, for what he must aim at is to make things better than they are.

How wonderful that we have met with a paradox. Now we have some hope of making progress.

An expert is a person who has found out by his own painful experience all the mistakes that one can make in a very narrow field.

We must be clear that when it comes to atoms, language can be used only as in poetry. The poet, too, is not nearly so concerned with describing facts as with creating images and establishing mental connections.

Some subjects are so serious that one can only joke about them.

No, no, you are not thinking, you are just being logical. -- In response to those who made purely formal or mathematical arguments, as quoted in What Little I Remember (1979) by Otto Robert Frisch, p. 95

I feel very much like Dirac: the idea of a personal God is foreign to me. But we ought to remember that religion uses language in quite a different way from science. The language of religion is more closely related to the language of poetry than to the language of science. True, we are inclined to think that science deals with information about objective facts, and poetry with subjective feelings. Hence we conclude that if religion does indeed deal with objective truths, it ought to adopt the same criteria of truth as science. But I myself find the division of the world into an objective and a subjective side much too arbitrary. The fact that religions through the ages have spoken in images, parables, and paradoxes means simply that there are no other ways of grasping the reality to which they refer. But that does not mean that it is not a genuine reality. And splitting this reality into an objective and a subjective side won't get us very far.

I consider those developments in physics during the last decades which have shown how problematical such concepts as "objective" and "subjective" are, a great liberation of thought. The whole thing started with the theory of relativity. In the past, the statement that two events are simultaneous was considered an objective assertion, one that could be communicated quite simply and that was open to verification by any observer. Today we know that 'simultaneity' contains a subjective element, inasmuch as two events that appear simultaneous to an observer at rest are not necessarily simultaneous to an observer in motion. However, the relativistic description is also objective inasmuch as every observer can deduce by calculation what the other observer will perceive or has perceived. For all that, we have come a long way from the classical ideal of objective descriptions.

In mathematics we can take our inner distance from the content of our statements. In the final analysis mathematics is a mental game that we can play or not play as we choose. Religion, on the other hand, deals with ourselves, with our life and death; its promises are meant to govern our actions and thus, at least indirectly, our very existence. We cannot just look at them impassively from the outside. Moreover, our attitude to religious questions cannot be separated from our attitude to society.

That was the only video I could find so far, on the 1927 Solvay conference. You can see Bohr chatting with Schrödinger in the beginning, and here and there later.

A picture of the same occasion as the video, Brussels in 1927.

Last edited by silke; 07-27-2020 at 03:08 AM. Reason: updated links
    , LIE, ENTj logical subtype, 8w9 sx/sp
    Quote Originally Posted by implied
    gah you're like the shittiest ENTj ever!