Hakuna Matata and the cycle of Samsara godslave's Avatar
    TIM
    694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AWellArmedCat View Post
    I'm philosophically an agnostic, but I practice polytheism. I think if a god exists it's more likely that there are multiple. I also think that capital "G" God makes more sense as an archetype than as an actual entity. Also to anyone who is interested in polytheism, I recommend the YouTuber, Ocean Keltoi

Your choice of words is very interesting ! I like that formula ! Religion is indeed for the most part closer to a philosophy of life than an absolute truth. I think that the more religious people tend to adhere to that point of view the more tolerant they are in regards to other beliefs or philosophies of life.
    Unfortunately, It is my understanding that religious people who take everything literally without any "lateral thinking" or openness to metaphorical interpretations are those who are the most at risk to fall into fanaticism and intolerance.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If God does not literally exist then the whole thing is just a charade and a complete waste of time. You may as well dress up as the Easter bunny and call yourself the Easter bunny at that point.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1603 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DogOfDanger View Post
    If God does not literally exist then the whole thing is just a charade and a complete waste of time. You may as well dress up as the Easter bunny and call yourself the Easter bunny at that point.
    Dressing up as the Easter Bunny might not have universal appeal.

It would probably be more useful to find some other reason to justify our existence.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    It would probably be more useful to find some other reason to justify our existence.
    Well you can try by starting with our physical existence, but I don't think you're gona make alot of progress here. You'll probably just run into the infinite first cause problem and... at some point give up trying to explain it.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1603 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Well you can try by starting with our physical existence, but I don't think you're gona make alot of progress here. You'll probably just run into the infinite first cause problem and... at some point give up trying to explain it.
    Personally, I've settled on "making kids" as my purpose in life, which seems slightly better to me than "pass the butter."

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Dressing up as the Easter Bunny might not have universal appeal.

God would have universal appeal, however, it would be much worse for someone to dress up as God.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The same is true if "God" has no measurable effect on the universe.