This fits here in this sub forum becasue it pretty much covers all the topics: philosophy, politics, economics, science, religion. Yes, even the last, because I see vegetarianism as being akin to a false religion.

Lierre Keith says it best in her amazing book, The Vegetarian Myth. Yes, it is a myth. All the reasons most people are vegetarianism are inmost every case based on falsehoods, myths, or outright lies. Vegetarian is not a sustainable lifestyle, and it is bad for our earth.

Sadly vegetarians are most often altruistically ruining their heath with this because they want to save the earth and live sustainable. That is what Lierre Keith liked best about being a vegetarian. Also it was her deep personal identity. It was extremely difficult to leave it. She says, "The moment you're 'in' [vegetarianism], it's really hard to get back out."

But she did. Once she realized that all the high ideals she was living for weren't true, she was willing to get out of it and follow truth. At a cost. Because as a 20 year vegan, this was an honored place to be among her vegan peers, as a vegan is the loftiest kind of vegetarian, to be admired. But she was willing to leave her lofty place for the truth.

Here is an interview where she tells her story of conversation. I like Lierre becasue she is an altruistic idealist who is wiling to live for what she believes in. Also she is a reluctant convert from a world she loved, just as I was a reluctant convert from a world I loved, Evangeli9cal Christianity, to Catholicism. Like her, I went to a strange new world because truth was there, not because I wanted to. Also I admire a fearless crusader, and vegetarians can be pretty militant, she riles them and takes a beating for speaking the truth. i do admire that.

@Adam Strange, I think you will like Lierre Keith because she speaks the same language as you do sometimes with your millions of years old evolution thing. Also there is good solid science, and talk of global warming. If you are in this thing for sustainability, then here are the reasons for conversion. (Besides better health, immediately).

Her book was SO compelling, but here is a short version for those who prefer it, in an interview of less than 30 minutes:

However she has SO MUCH good stuff to say that I suggest this 1 hour, 30 minute interview, at least check otu the first 10 minutes. It's compelling!: