Quote Originally Posted by Rebelondeck View Post
Ni-types do seem to have trouble with that. They seem to have much understanding of and insight into everyone but themselves; the ones that I've known were so convinced that they were right or righteous that I doubted that they ever took the time to analyse themselves. They also seemed to want to avoid details that might detract from the positive outcomes for which they strove.

a.k.a. I/O
@Rebelondeck, that's a feature, not a bug.

Seriously, I think a blindness to certain aspects of reality is what makes LIE's so effective at reaching goals. LIE's refuse to look at failure modes, once a single path has been decided upon. Prior to that decision, though, they will seek out as much information about the future branches as can be had in a reasonable amount of time. After the decision is made, though, it's carved in stone until they either succeed or hit some wall that is so insurmountable that the attempt fails.

What makes this strategy even marginally successful is the fact that there are many ways to success, but they all require perseverance. So you can screw up your initial conditions, as long as you are willing to do what it takes to get to your goal.

LIE's tend to be successful in direct proportion to their ability to make the right choices from that gathered information, because all the LIE's that I know become set in their purpose once it is decided. Learning this can be a painful process.

I have some very expensive machine tools that are evidence of this. I was able to get them for a good price but I didn't have an immediate need for them, but thought I would in the future. When the crane arrived to unload them from the flat bed truck, my LSE buddy, who is much more immediate than I am, said "Adam. There's still time. You can call this off and send the machines back."
I said, "No, Don. We're sticking to the plan."

He was right. I should have sent the machines back. I don't miss the money, but they are taking up space that could be used more productively.