While the PS2 had a few great exclusives like Devil May Cry and Devil May Cry 3 and a better controller (IMO) and more storage capacity, it had graphics that I thought were inferior to those of the Dreamcast (Dreamcast's graphics were smoother, more detailed and more vibrant) and the Dreamcast had a better library (IMO) especially when you take into account the games for it that weren't released in the U.S. (i had imported the PAL/EU versions of Shenmue 2 and Headhunter in late 2001 or early 2002 and bought the DC-X boot disc from Electronics boutique; I forgot the name of the online store where I bought those imports, I had bought my long gone imported game boy advance from games express, but I bought the JP version of Sonic Gems Collection for the Gamecube in 2005 from the same place I ordered Shenmue 2 and Headhunter).

I was in tears in my old dentist's office when I read the tech specs for the PS2 in the May 1999 issue 55 of Next Gen(eration), the cover story had something to do with star wars; people were so fucking excited about Episode One in 1999. I was way more excited about Big Daddy and the Dreamcast even though I wasn't the only one; I knew it was going to be my beloved Sega Enterprises LTD's last console but I didn't want to miss out on it and I knew the games, no matter how short its lifespan was going to be, were going to be good. So I had to have it.

It's hard for me to decide what was worse between the original Xbox and the PS2. The original PlayStation launched with games I really wanted to play and I did back then, but the PlayStation 2, so many people wanted it because it was more expensive and newer than the Dreamcast and because it was going to be quickly sold out.