Hybrid View

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1574 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
    I'm kind of glad (that Biden looks like he's going to win). But I'm not looking forward to hearing my diehard Trump family members constantly bitch about how the Dems stole the election...
    Maybe you can convince them to live in the world that Trump would have made. One without Obamacare. That might mitigate the problem of having to listen to them.

My very Republican parents hated socialized medicine. That is, government-paid-for medical benefits.

However, my father volunteered for two wars and loved the military and when he got cataracts and cancer treatments, he gleefully showed me the bills that were paid for by his GI benefits (government health care) and they amounted to something over $100k at the time and might have gone much higher as his treatments progressed, IDK. (COVID killed him, not cancer.) Bills which he could have easily paid, but didn't.

I told him that if he objected to the government paying for health care, he should give that money back. Just give it back.

He stopped showing me his bills or talking to me about government health care after that.

However, my mother jumped in during that discussion and said "He earned that money. He deserves it." Now, I imagine she was saying that he earned the money by being in the service, but I believe he was paid for that service, just like truckers or poll workers are paid. But my mother divided the world into two groups; those who "deserved" welfare (herself) and those who didn't because, of course, they were too lazy to work.

TIM
    POOP™
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Maybe you can convince them to live in the world that Trump would have made. One without Obamacare. That might mitigate the problem of having to listen to them.

My very Republican parents hated socialized medicine. That is, government-paid-for medical benefits.

However, my father volunteered for two wars and loved the military and when he got cataracts and cancer treatments, he gleefully showed me the bills that were paid for by his GI benefits (government health care) and they amounted to something over $100k at the time and might have gone much higher as his treatments progressed, IDK. (COVID killed him, not cancer.) Bills which he could have easily paid, but didn't.

I told him that if he objected to the government paying for health care, he should give that money back. Just give it back.

He stopped showing me his bills or talking to me about government health care after that.

However, my mother jumped in during that discussion and said "He earned that money. He deserves it." Now, I imagine she was saying that he earned the money by being in the service, but I believe he was paid for that service, just like truckers or poll workers are paid. But my mother divided the world into two groups; those who "deserved" welfare (herself) and those who didn't because, of course, they were too lazy to work.
    I'm not even sure what the deal is with the health-care stuff. Those family members were complaining about Medicare costs going up under Obama, so I think they just don't like the idea of any socialized healthcare.

But you're right about the "deserved" part. It probably went up to cover the costs of giving more people coverage, but they don't give a shit about other people. They don't want other people to get it too, especially if it's going to cost them a little more. Somebody at work said it just comes down to empathy. A lack of empathy. I think that's true. All the other rationalizations people use against things like this, such as we can't afford it or it will be a drain on the economy, are really just supporting a lack of empathy, otherwise they would support ways to make it affordable, maybe good health-care reform, instead of calling people communists that seek it out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramas View Post
    Just rename this place Beta Central lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightWilderness View Post
    The only problem socionics has given me is a propensity to analyze every relationship from the lens of socionics and I also see that it is worse in my boyfriend. Nothing makes any sense that way and it does not really solve any problems.