Thread: Save the Earth and Live Sustainably - End Vegetarianism Now!

Hybrid View

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Can you give an unique observable property of "God" that is observable? Otherwise I have no reason to believe that you get your ideology from superstitious men from thousands of years ago who thought that Thunder and Lightning was "God" being angry with them.
    You want me to prove to you that God exists. I don't believe you don't know it or that you want to know he exists.

The will is powerful. It is a gift of God, and we are free to use it for our ill or for our good.
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    You want me to prove to you that God exists. I don't believe you don't know it or that you want to know he exists.

The will is powerful. It is a gift of God, and we are free to use it for our ill or for our good.
    I don't want you to prove it. I'm just asking you to give an unique property of "God" that is observable.

You seem to think that belief is a virtue.

edit: I don't want you to prove "God" simply because I already know that you would be unable to do so if you cannot give an unique property that is observable.

Serious Left-Static Negativist Eliza Thomason's Avatar
    TIM
    ENFp, IEE
    Mentioned
    378 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I don't want you to prove it. I'm just asking you to give an unique property of "God" that is observable.

You seem to think that belief is a virtue.

edit: I don't want you to prove "God" simply because I already know that you would be unable to do so if you cannot give an unique property that is observable.
    I have not seen God, but I believe. By the grace of God, I will stake my life on it, if He wills that for me. But there are so many, many that have done just that, and there always will be those who would rather die than renounce their faith. The blood of the martyrs is the fertile ground from which faith grows.

John 20:29 "Jesus saith unto him, 'Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.'"

Yes, they are blessed. Faith is a precious gift. It is the best thing about my life. My greatest treasure.

And yes - faith is a virtue. Mankind has traditionally recognized it as one of the three greatest virtues.

Corinthians 13: 13 - "And now abideth faith, hope, charity*, these three; but the greatest of these is charity." *[Caritas: the altruistic love]

Yes, love is the greatest. And God is love.

Can you give a property of love that is observable?
    "A man with a definite belief always appears bizarre, because he does not change with the world; he has climbed into a fixed star, and the earth whizzes below him like a zoetrope."
    ........ G. ........... K. ............... C ........ H ........ E ...... S ........ T ...... E ........ R ........ T ........ O ........ N ........

"Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the Church, is often labeled today as fundamentalism... Whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and swept along
    by every wind of teaching, looks like the only
    attitude acceptable to today's standards."
    - Pope Benedict the XVI, "The Dictatorship of Relativism"

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza Thomason View Post
    I have not seen God, but I believe. By the grace of God, I will stake my life on it, if He wills that for me. But there are so many, many that have done just that, and there always will be those who would rather die than renounce their faith. The blood of the martyrs is the fertile ground from which faith grows.

John 20:29 "Jesus saith unto him, 'Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.'"

Yes, they are blessed. Faith is a precious gift. It is the best thing about my life. My greatest treasure.

And yes - faith is a virtue. Mankind has traditionally recognized it as one of the three greatest virtues.

Corinthians 13: 13 - "And now abideth faith, hope, charity*, these three; but the greatest of these is charity." *[Caritas: the altruistic love]

Yes, love is the greatest. And God is love.

Can you give a property of love that is observable?
    To paraphrase Bertrand Russell: “I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.”

I can define "Love" as a concept that has a tangible physiological effect, for example, elevated oxytocin levels when in the company of those I consider my "loved" ones.

You quote the Gospels regarding "Doubting Thomas" - Thomas was criticised for wanting evidence - the people who were blessed were those who believed without evidence. You're only confirming my earlier observation that "Religious people on the whole value faith over observation, sadly."

If you believe something without evidence, it is no more rational for you to believe in the existence of Yahweh then in Allah or Moroni or Zeus or Albus Dumbledore. Believing in Dumbledore is actually more rational if you believe that Yahweh has no physical manifestation.