Thread: Logically rationalize God

Hybrid View

Hacking your soul since the beginning of time Hitta's Avatar
    Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xerxe View Post
    I'm not going to get dragged into a long discussion about the nature of science vs. philosophy, so I'll just say that a priori claims, or at least their conclusions, have to be falsifiable to qualify as scientific.
    But time and time again you fail at understanding that hypothesis do not have to be built from the bottom up to be true. For example, if my hypothesis were that Aliens exist, just because the hypothesis isn't falsifiable by modern means does not mean that the hypothesis isn't falsifiable overall. Not knowing how to create a falsifiable test is not an excuse for calling something non-falsifiable. Just because something isn't scientifically falsifiable by modern means does not make it wrong. I don't think you get how hard it is to create an hypothesis which perfectly layers the variables in a way in which creates falsifiability. Also, because something has been tested via hypothesis testing does not mean a causation has been established. And often times, the tests miss the laws that govern both causation and correlation completely, mainly because variables haven't been isolated correctly even though we base the foundations on our society that they have been.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

jessica129:scrotums r hot

:" hitting cap makes me envision cervix smashing"

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hitta View Post
    But time and time again you fail at understanding that hypothesis do not have to be built from the bottom up to be true. For example, if my hypothesis were that Aliens exist, just because the hypothesis isn't falsifiable by modern means does not mean that the hypothesis isn't falsifiable overall.
    That may be true, but you're not doing anything to produce these new empirical methods. Abstract word salads and subjective prevarications don't help you test your hypothesis.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That may be true, but you're not doing anything to produce these new empirical methods. Abstract word salads and subjective prevarications don't help you test your hypothesis.
    I don't see how a thought experiment followed by logical deductions on said thought experiment can qualify as "subjective prevarications". I gave three ways in which reality could be schemed based on these logical deductions, and then I depicted criteria in which option C could be fulfilled. I have my own logical deductions on why C is correct in which I haven't shared yet. It is rather jarring, however, how all your opinions seem to be clouded by your own conspicuous religiosity.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see how a thought experiment followed by logical deductions on said thought experiment can qualify as "subjective prevarications". I gave three ways in which reality could be schemed based on these logical deductions, and then I depicted criteria in which option C could be fulfilled. I have my own logical deductions on why C is correct in which I haven't shared yet. It is rather jarring, however, how all your opinions seem to be clouded by your own conspicuous religiosity.
    nah, I just call it as I see it

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

nah, I just call it as I see it
    No you don't, you are completely invested in it. That's why you are trying to prove atheism to people in a thread in which the creator politely asked nobody to do or to create another thread in order to do so. It actually bothers you that people do not think like you do.
    Model X Will Save Us!

*randomwarelinkremoved

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No you don't, you are completely invested in it. That's why you are trying to prove atheism to people in a thread in which the creator politely asked nobody to do or to create another thread in order to do so. It actually bothers you that people do not think like you do.
    I don't care what other people believe.

All I claimed (in this thread, not in yours) is that it's not possible to prove the existence of god empirically (i.e. scientifically). Could we acquire the ability to empirically prove some aspect of god in the future, from a position of enhanced scientific understanding? I don't know, but I'm actually inclined to believe that we can.

For instance, there's a view being seriously entertained by some physicists (like Max Tegmark) called 'Panpsychism,' which argues that consciousness is a fundamental component of the universe—it's something intrinsic to matter and potentially irreducible. The consequence is that even the atoms in your chair might have a kind of primitive consciousness. It's apparent that such a discovery, if it were true, would open the door to inquiries about claims once relegated to the status of 'spiritual mysticism.'

P.S. if this is about that Chewbacca video, I deleted the post.

Jesus is the cruel sausage consentingadult's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    Inspired by this (I can delete if preferred):

If you're anyone so inclined, please provide logic in favor of the existence of God.

If you want to share your disagreement or opinion that there's no God, please make another thread! Your viewpoint is valid and your logic is probably sound, but that's not this thread's intention.
    Before I can answer, please define "God".

Quote Originally Posted by mclane View Post
    To put it simply: the structure of the universe cannot have happened randomly. It is a directed effort (it even goes against the second law of thermodynamics). I assume you're an atheist, could you provide some evidence as to god's non existence?
    I would argue that if the universe cannot have happened randomly, then the same applies to God. Following the logic of your post, we must assume something or someone must have created God. Perhaps he has a mommy and a daddy. Perhaps they have/had mommies and daddies too!

Really, Intelligent Design does not offer a solution to the question of God. Assuming the Universe must have some kind of creator only makes the problem bigger.
    “I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that.” --- Pippi Longstocking

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    Before I can answer, please define "God".
    I would leave that up to the respondent and how they wish to define it, but I guess that still leaves certain qualifiers I have in mind like responsible for existence, omnipotent, worthy of worship, etc

I had the Christian idea of God in mind, but that's not a prerequisite for the practice.

This said, I've washed my hands of the question (the thread is obviously still open)

Sorry for the vague reply.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

When the universe had a start at zero time point - anything was united. This state had anything to appear what will exist then, it's the source and the reason of anything, the Creator of anything. The link with this state can be felt as the unification with God.

This is possible if to assume inter-time links, in both time directions. The same as through the space.

TIM
    SLE-Ti 8w7 so/sp
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

There's no way to logically prove God until you can at least show sufficient evidence of a supernatural realm. Until that time, any argument for God which does not first show evidence of supernaturalness is baseless.

The bible doesn't cut it in so far as evidence of God goes. A book about supernatural phenomena is not evidence of supernatural phenomena which we can then base a logical argument for God on.

Millions of books have been written by men, women alike, and published for distribution to the public. Thousands of books contain stories about Gods, Mythologies, magical worlds, and pretty much anything else you can imagine. People pick up a pen and write words onto page and tell stories all in conformity with space and time. Writing is a craft. Publishing books is a business. The bible is the result of the same action sets by which books came into existence before and after.

So whenever a Christian says the bible is proof of God, they are not using logic. That is not a logical argument. It's merely a baseless assumption. Assumptions do not equate to evidence. You can pile up as many assumptions as you want or as many congregations as you want, and that doesn't mean shit in terms of logically proving God.

Likewise for Muslims, Jews, Hindus and everybody else. Probably its human nature to create these mythologies. The Greeks had their Zeus on Mt. Olympus, the Christians have their Jesus in Heaven. So on.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kill4Me View Post
    There's no way to logically prove God until you can at least show sufficient evidence of a supernatural realm. Until that time, any argument for God which does not first show evidence of supernaturalness is baseless.

The bible doesn't cut it in so far as evidence of God goes. A book about supernatural phenomena is not evidence of supernatural phenomena which we can then base a logical argument for God on.

Millions of books have been written by men, women alike, and published for distribution to the public. Thousands of books contain stories about Gods, Mythologies, magical worlds, and pretty much anything else you can imagine. People pick up a pen and write words onto page and tell stories all in conformity with space and time. Writing is a craft. Publishing books is a business. The bible is the result of the same action sets by which books came into existence before and after.

So whenever a Christian says the bible is proof of God, they are not using logic. That is not a logical argument. It's merely a baseless assumption. Assumptions do not equate to evidence. You can pile up as many assumptions as you want or as many congregations as you want, and that doesn't mean shit in terms of logically proving God.

Likewise for Muslims, Jews, Hindus and everybody else. Probably its human nature to create these mythologies. The Greeks had their Zeus on Mt. Olympus, the Christians have their Jesus in Heaven. So on.
    But, lightning is proof of Zeus. Checkmate atheī!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coeruleum View Post
    Ya congrats you grew up in the modern world. so smart. much rational. no supernaturalist here.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    537 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coeruleum View Post
    Not that it matters, but the plural would be "atheoi". "i" is the Latin masculine nominative/vocative plural ending of the second declension. "Theos" is from Greek, and while you got the declension, gender, number, and case right, you got the wrong language. ツ

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    Not that it matters, but the plural would be "atheoi". "i" is the Latin masculine nominative/vocative plural ending of the second declension. "Theos" is from Greek, and while you got the declension, gender, number, and case right, you got the wrong language. ツ
    I got the right language. If I wanted to speak Latin, I'd say lightning is proof of Jupiter.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    More seriously, atheī is valid Latin and both checkmate atheoi and checkmate ἄθεοι look wrong to me aesthetically, but maybe we could ask the hoi polloi if you think that's an issue.