Thread: Misandry

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    912 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I mean, okay, let's pretend they haven't had the power.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashlesha View Post
    I mean, okay, let's pretend they haven't had the power.

The trend throughout most of recorded history suggests that's a reductionist view of power. It's generally been a small elite class in power, wherein there were often male and female leaders. It was usually more males, but it really depends on which historical civilization you're examining. Your average family of peasants would probably laugh at our simplistic notion of patriarchy taught in gender studies courses, since basically the whole family held jack shit in the way of power and were all in the fields working their fingers to the bone to meet some Baron's or Baroness' quota before the winter set in. To say nothing of matriarchal societies that existed on occasion. There is no one single line of patriarchy that existed the way the popular narratives suggest.

Regardless of who "had the power", I find it troubling when people dismiss this stuff because "the menz had all the rights and all the power in the past". Smacks of a vindictive, retributive approach to dealing with any of these current issues.