Thread: Instincts: inborn, a compensation for what's lacking, or a combination of both?

Threaded View

TIM
    IEI 4w5
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Appreciate you sharing. Social issues could definitely be the result of not having healthy Social modeled for you--sometimes So-firsts have a difficult a time in that area like Social-lasts, it's just that Social-firsts focus a lot more attention on it since it's their dominant instinct. It sounds like you didn't have many healthy "middle-ground" models (someone who is Social-second, for example, is often healthy in this instinct although of course they can have issues, too).

so honestly, i don't know if this is genetics or nurture but I'm still chronically high'n'dry without a supportive group friends.
    I think nurture influences genetics over time; maybe it's impossible to really separate them. The biblical idea of "generational curses" or the "sins of the father" is actually supported by genetic research (using different language, of course). For example, trauma or abuse that isn't dealt with tends to manifest in psychological/emotional disorders, and those disorders do run in families or even geographical communities (my dad's side of the family have a running theme of obsessive-compulsive disorder).

I find hope in that as much as we can be hurt by relationships we can also be healed by them. I've benefited tremendously from close friendships to people who have a healthy relationship with Sx--those people quite literally changed my life and I'll always be grateful to them for showing me a healthier way.
    Last edited by Aria; 07-15-2019 at 02:13 AM.