Quote Originally Posted by soundofconfusion View Post
oh you mean like this one: I think you’re failing to realize the part where she is simply playing a role

you know who likes to play a role? Fe valuing types. you know who cares about authenticity? Fi valuing types. didn't you doubt your own type a few months ago, just like hag? it seems clear to me that you don't have a huge understanding of functions, so it's personally really hard to take your arguments seriously.

of course, but it doesn't even remotely make sense for grimes. you should listen to EII artists like Talk Talk, John Fahey, Leonard Cohen, The National, Arcade Fire, Hope Sandoval to get an idea of EII music. it's much more quiet.
lol

I possess traits of two types that I was uncertain of because of the stereotypes and misconceptions that they both carry... I don’t see how this negates my typing skills, especially when it’s much easier for an Exxx type to perceive and judge people outside of themselves rather than their own self. I could say a thing or two about your own typing skills considering that you are using superficial stereotypes to back up what little you’re saying.

Playing a role does not make someone inherently inauthentic. Playing a role is at (haha) the heart of the enneagram heart types, no matter if they’re Fe or Fi valuing. Yes, 4s, too. So far in her career, she’s been playing a quirky manic pixie girl eschewing her own manic pixie dream girl qualities by having heavy statements to make using the -mostly- accessible quirky image. It is both a role in that I get the feeling that she plays this part up more than what is naturally there, but it is still a natural part of her. You can play a role in society AND be authentic at the same time, and in fact I think Fi types are the best at doing BOTH. (I agree that Fe is more inclined to play a role that has no real substance behind it, but Fe CAN be very authentic and Fi CAN be fake. Typology is a much more complex art form than you seem to be able to grasp, but I wouldn’t expect a logical type to truly understand it anyways. ) You are going off so many watered down MBTI borrowed stereotypes that it’s utterly ridiculous.

I can think of hundreds of Fi valuing artists, especially enneagram 3 ones, who are playing up a role that is still tied in to their authentic self. Nicki Minaj, Cardi B, Miley Cyrus, Christina Aguilera, Elvis Presley, Megan Thee Stallion, DaBaby, the list goes on (I’m using easily recognizable SEE -mostly- e3s as examples to further my point.). A true artist will find a way to express their thoughts/feelings (even if it’s not coming directly from their own music), AND make it accessible/personable to OTHER people (this is where the image and aesthetic come into play.) That, and Fe is absolutely not the only function to embody another point of view in music and just in general. I would say Fe and Ne have the most strength in those areas because they represent themes of humanity on a grander scale and ALTERNATIVE VIEWPOINTS (the latter is especially Ne- to swerve into seemingly opposite thoughts or behaviors for the sake of experimentation and guess what— Grimes herself has said those darker songs you referenced are merely an experiment to see where it goes.).

Those trendy artists I mentioned? All of them were playing up an image but were authentic at the same time. Especially Nicki Minaj who has actual personas with their own names (Roman Zolanski, Chun Li, etc.) that she’s created, but she clearly has no issue expressing her personal sentiments. Guess what, the music industry runs on artists having to carefully craft and cultivate their image and aesthetic but that doesn’t detract from their own authenticity— and artists tend to mostly be heart types in the enneagram because heart types eat that shit up.

If she’s not EII-Ne, I would peg her as IEE-Ne. Ne is so hard to miss in her that it has to be her subtype regardless. It’s clear she’s NF, and it’s clear she values Ne end of story.

Now please try to come back at me with a well thought argument that isn’t based on outdated function stereotypes because everyone is more complex than a simple set of functions. My apologies if this seemed to come off as a rant or seemed angry which it probably does when I’m not fully (though maybe very slightly ) intending it to be. That is my weak, but valued Se at work if we are going to run typology through stereotypes.

p.s. I see plenty of similarity between Arcade Fire and Grimes with both putting out NF themes, but I actually see Arcade Fire as being more focused on ONE theme and sticking to it (Neon Bible?), so I believe AF is actually more Ni than Grimes in that respect. It would be more useful to compare Grimes to other artists in her direct sub genre.