View Poll Results: ?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 26.92%
  • No

19 73.08%

Thread: Alphas, do you disrespect weakness?

Hybrid View

Contrarian Traditionalist Krig the Viking's Avatar
    TIM
    C-LII
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Brilliand, it depends on what you mean by "weakness". Physical weakness I don't despise at all, in fact, I feel sympathy for it. Moral weakness, on the other hand, I absolutely loathe.
    Quaero Veritas.

TIM
    SEI, 9
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I kinda do. Not physical weakness of itself, but displays of it - like an example that sticks in my mind is of this IEI guy who was arm-wrestling a guy and wouldn't give in .. I think he won actually, but he was all pale and trembling at the end of it and it kinda made me feel sick.. though I didn't want to feel that way. :/ I mostly felt embarrassed for him. Like why would he make a display of himself like that? I don't disrespect people who are physically weak, but cognizant of their limits - who don't go to stupid extremes like that. But weakness to me is mainly giving into a whim, temptation or something, regardless of a prior resolve made.
    "Language is the Rubicon that divides man from beast."

TIM
    ILE/ENTp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No way.

Why? We're all human:

We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

Trying erase one part is like trying to get rid of the black side of the yin and yang.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a 3 I must say yes, definitely, but I usually try to help them get over their weaknesses.
    The saddest ESFj

Mentioned
    760 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I disrespect untalented people who try to do something they are not suited for. (Quite a few of these)

I disrespect people who have a lack of skills and abilities entirely. (Not so many of these)

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post
    I disrespect untalented people who try to do something they are not suited for. (Quite a few of these)

I disrespect people who have a lack of skills and abilities entirely. (Not so many of these)
    I agree with this.

LII-Ne

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare!"
    - Blair Houghton

Johari

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hkkmr View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliand View Post
    I agree with this.
    I don't. At least not in the way the statements are phrased. Regarding the first phrase, it depends in part on the person's awareness of their own abilities and why they are doing what they're doing. For example, if they are required to do something they are not suited for, say, for their job and they're not good at it, I don't disrespect them. Rather, I feel sorry for them and wish them luck in finding something more suitable. Some of these people, may just have not reached a point yet, where they have self-awareness of their true talents and abilities.

I think there is a difference between people who know they are not talented in an area and attempt to do it anyway vs. those who attempt something because they are not aware that they have lack talent. I'm more likely to disrespect the former and very rarely the latter. Then again, I may just pity the former group. It really depends on the context.

Regarding the second phrase, do you mean to say those who lack skills and abilities entirely in a *specific realm* or on a more *global scale* ? The specific realm case would be related to the first statement you made. I'm not so sure there are people who have a lack of skills and abilities *globally* unless they are in some vegetative state where they would be truly incapable of consciously responding to the world around them. Everyone is different and everyone has their own unique sets of talents and abilities. The reason for lacking these abilities vary. In some cases it may just be that the person hasn't practiced enough. Or in some cases, ability is inborn and has a more genetic component. But why would I disrespect these people? Especially for things that are inborn and they cannot control. Its like disrespecting someone for who they are rather than for their actions and intentions. I was kind of offended by the second statement actually. If you're going to make sweeping statements like that, please clarify the context in which you are making that statement.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

"Information without energy is useless" Nowisthetime's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My spontaneous reaction to weakness is disrespect. Or it makes me feel good that I'm better than someone else. But I distance myself from such feelings, I don't want to feel that way, it's really low. Then I try to put myself in the situation of the weak person, or think of all things that I show weakness in, and then I can overcome this feeling of disrespect.