I love having all of these ISTps here! Seriously, I come back after a few months and this place is great. Wow.

Slacker Mom, I agree with you about subtypes -- they're useful in describing someone's current emphasis, but in my experience, they're variable. For example, the intuitive description rings more true to me in general; however, I'd bet that if you were to ask most of my friends, they would probably describe me as the ethical subtype. (Private face/Public face thing... Not that the public face is forced either--just different manifestations under different circumstances.)

I dated an ISTp logical subtype and was hitting the PoLR all the time... (Sorry, I wrote that to sound slightly naughty, but it's true--very reactive, emotionally... That said, we were pretty young, so it might have been just a maturity issue.) Any other experiences like this?

hellothere's question is interesting: "is duality likely to be 'stronger' for two accepting subtypes compared to two producing subtypes?"

In the case of ISTp-ENFp, theoretically, I imagine think that producing subtypes--logical and ethical--would have a more stable relationship due to the scanning nature (poor word choice, but I'm at work and can't think clearly now) of the accepting functions (Ne for ENFp and Si for ISTp.) In practice, I don't know--Slacker Mom could probably speak to this much better than I could.

Thank you all for the responses. I really appreciate the insights.