Thread: ISTp-ENFp duality complementary subtypes (IEE-SLI)

Hybrid View

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker Mom View Post
    I'm ENFp-Fi and my husband is ISTp-Te
    Hi slacker, how does that work? Does that mean you are more F than N?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't mean you're more F than N, just that you put a bit more emphasis on Fi than Ne-subtype ENFps. It doesn't turn me into an INFj or anything. In my opinion it's a pretty subtle difference, and while I think types are static, I do think people can change from one subtype to the other depending on where their emphasis is during different times of their life. I also don't think subtypes probably make much difference in relationships - I mean you still value and don't value the same information elements. That's my opinion on subtypes anyway.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Creepy-Cyclops

It doesn't mean you're more F than N, just that you put a bit more emphasis on Fi than Ne-subtype ENFps. It doesn't turn me into an INFj or anything. In my opinion it's a pretty subtle difference, and while I think types are static, I do think people can change from one subtype to the other depending on where their emphasis is during different times of their life. I also don't think subtypes probably make much difference in relationships - I mean you still value and don't value the same information elements. That's my opinion on subtypes anyway.
    Cool. That was informative thanks

Kinda what I thought, like maybe in the week at work I could use me Te more, and at weekend could use mi Si more!

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love having all of these ISTps here! Seriously, I come back after a few months and this place is great. Wow.

Slacker Mom, I agree with you about subtypes -- they're useful in describing someone's current emphasis, but in my experience, they're variable. For example, the intuitive description rings more true to me in general; however, I'd bet that if you were to ask most of my friends, they would probably describe me as the ethical subtype. (Private face/Public face thing... Not that the public face is forced either--just different manifestations under different circumstances.)

I dated an ISTp logical subtype and was hitting the PoLR all the time... (Sorry, I wrote that to sound slightly naughty, but it's true--very reactive, emotionally... That said, we were pretty young, so it might have been just a maturity issue.) Any other experiences like this?

hellothere's question is interesting: "is duality likely to be 'stronger' for two accepting subtypes compared to two producing subtypes?"

In the case of ISTp-ENFp, theoretically, I imagine think that producing subtypes--logical and ethical--would have a more stable relationship due to the scanning nature (poor word choice, but I'm at work and can't think clearly now) of the accepting functions (Ne for ENFp and Si for ISTp.) In practice, I don't know--Slacker Mom could probably speak to this much better than I could.

Thank you all for the responses. I really appreciate the insights.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

gay sex
    Last edited by istpunk; 07-17-2008 at 06:15 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neither subtype stands out as more me. Both have stuff that rings true and both have stuff that I doubt applies.
    The Sensory subtype sounds like more fun ... but overall, the differences between the two seem kinda subtle. What use are the subtypes, anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
    We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing.
    SLI

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iAnnAu View Post
    Neither subtype stands out as more me. Both have stuff that rings true and both have stuff that I doubt applies.
    The Sensory subtype sounds like more fun ... but overall, the differences between the two seem kinda subtle. What use are the subtypes, anyway?
    my opinion is that the subtypes describe quantitative/continuous differences within the same type - so you could be anywhere on the line between the Si subtype and the Te subtype - including right in the middle, in which case you wouldn't be able to choose between the descriptions

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hellothere View Post
    my opinion is that the subtypes describe quantitative/continuous differences within the same type - so you could be anywhere on the line between the Si subtype and the Te subtype - including right in the middle, in which case you wouldn't be able to choose between the descriptions
    Yeah thats me! I just read them a second ago and i am smack bang in the middle of both of them.
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meatburger View Post
    Yeah thats me! I just read them a second ago and i am smack bang in the middle of both of them.
    dont worry man, we'd have fun.

<gets up at a subtypes anonymous meeting>
    Hi I'm Loki, and I'm a Si.
    "Those who make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities..."

- Voltaire

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that compatibility among duals has more to do with wether they have things in common or not. If you both like cooking or both want to get (or stay) in shape, if you both like similar types of movies or music or like to hang out in certain places etc. youre going to have more to talk about than two people who are duals but have nothing in common. It also helps to have mutual friends.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally. Our kids owe their existence to Terry Pratchett, Red Dwarf, Dad's Army, Herbert Rosendorfer and the 1998 World Cup.

With ENFps and ISTps - I'm thinking that it might also be important where and how you interact, because we both need to feel relaxed, at ease, and able to open up and goof around. What do you think? If an ENFp and an ISTp meet only in situations that make one of them go into emergency shutdown mode, there's one more potential love story gone down the drain.

EDITED TO ADD: ...duh. Everyone's like that to some extent. But my hunch is that stressed out ISTps and ENFps can clam up very thoroughly.
    Last edited by schrödinger's cat; 03-14-2008 at 11:23 AM.

TIM
    EII/INFj
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by schrödinger's cat View Post
    But my hunch is that stressed out ISTps and ENFps can clam up very thoroughly.
    Yes.
    INFj

9w1 sp/sx

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I second Tereg.
    Johari/Nohari

"Tell someone you love them today, because life is short; shout it at them in German, because life is also terrifying."

Fruit, the fluffy kitty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally. Our kids owe their existence to Terry Pratchett, Red Dwarf, Dad's Army, Herbert Rosendorfer and the 1998 World Cup.

With ENFps and ISTps - I'm thinking that it might also be important where and how you interact, because we both need to feel relaxed, at ease, and able to open up and goof around. What do you think? If an ENFp and an ISTp meet only in situations that make one of them go into emergency shutdown mode, there's one more potential love story gone down the drain.

EDITED TO ADD: ...duh. Everyone's like that to some extent. But my hunch is that stressed out ISTps and ENFps can clam up very thoroughly.
    This is a VERY astute comment. I have an interest in an ISTp guy and when we hang out together with mutual friends, it's fun, relaxing and goofy. But when it's stressful e.g. his ex is in the picture somehow, he goes into shut down mode and it's awful. Thankfully his ex, who is a hyper analytical, stressed out ENFj, is leaving the country! Their interaction shows me how bad an ISTp-ENFj conflicting relationship can be! ENFj's strike me as too pushy and wanting to 'cling' to their partner which would drive me bonkers - and certainly drove this particular ISTp around the bend!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I completely agree with your comments ...with what has happened to me.....duality is like owning a new engine...there has to be a run-in period (especially if one has had insufficient experience with duality relationships---noone wants to get hurt and encounters feel somewhat awkward but only at first)
    ENTP:wink:ALPHA

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't find myself attracted to ENFP's either....or any "extrovert" for that matter. I feel more at ease with other introverts and I feel much more compatible with them and more attracted to them. Socionics is wrong, ohmigodz.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jessica, c'mon!! We need someone to love us.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everyone's different. If I like you, I like you. But in general, I'm much more at ease and comfortable around introverts.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I don't find myself attracted to ENFP's either....or any "extrovert" for that matter. I feel more at ease with other introverts and I feel much more compatible with them and more attracted to them. Socionics is wrong, ohmigodz.
    If I remember correctly, you have not experienced interaction with IEEs very much. That explains your opinion about them.

IEEs can at times be mistaken for introverts. They often have a live-and-let-live attitude toward others and can't be described as intrusive or particularily expansive.

Most of my friends talk to me and I just listen and listen. Even my introvert friends say I'm overly quiet at times. I even sometimes feel awkward when I'm with a person and I don't know what to say.

So I doubt a quiet IEE will annoy you. Maybe the ones you know are not IEE.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikemex View Post

IEEs can at times be mistaken for introverts. They often have a live-and-let-live attitude toward others and can't be described as intrusive or particularily expansive.

I think that that may have a lot to do with the fact that N is coupled with F as a dominant attitude and thus ENFps pick their spots until they find an Fi field which interests them.... If N was coupled with T as for ENTps....extraversion would be a lot more noticeable as T is direct and simply goes about its business unlike the choosy and more concentrated F.

As an xNFp, i sometimes thought of myself as introvert...thus i was INFp.....but later noticed when Fi was satisfied I became a total extravert and to this day consider myself ENFp for the most part.
    ENTP:wink:ALPHA

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    It's true. ENFps are highly equipped to develop a trait called "supersonic hearing". Sometimes it even advances to "mind reading".
    You would know dolphy. Being our dual and all
    ENFp (Unsure of Subtype)

"And the day came when the risk it took to remain closed in a bud became more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anaïs Nin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My brother is istp. Before learning of socionics i recall thinking: "i'm never gonna end up marrying someone like him"
    It's not that i don't like him though. He's got my back always and he's one of the few ppl i truly trust. It's just that i would never... well let's just say he bugs the hell out of me at times

Oh by the way i think i'm enfp ne and he's prolly istp te
    n00bIEE

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect that there maybe a great deal of truth in this, especially the bolded part which I havn't heard expressed quite like this before but fits well with my understaning.

It also seems to me that perhaps our sub-types may be influenced by those around us, for example and IEE in a heavily Fi environment would pick up on that energy and would become more Fi in behaviour and outlook, whilst maybe the opposite would be true in an environment, that was more bias towards Ne.

TIM
    ILI-Te
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by somavision View Post
    I suspect that there maybe a great deal of truth in this, especially the bolded part which I havn't heard expressed quite like this before but fits well with my understaning.

It also seems to me that perhaps our sub-types may be influenced by those around us, for example and IEE in a heavily Fi environment would pick up on that energy and would become more Fi in behaviour and outlook, whilst maybe the opposite would be true in an environment, that was more bias towards Ne.
    subtype doesn't change. stop with this bs

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    Substantiate this statement, or I will continue to speculate.
    Is there anything specific within Socionic theory to firmly support that sub-type does not change?

TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There isn't even anything specific within Socionic theory to firmly support that subtypes exist.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    -Mark Twain

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly.

Sauron, The Great Enemy ArchonAlarion's Avatar
    TIM
    Yet to be determined
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There isn't even anything specific within Socionic theory to firmly support that subtypes exist.
    There isn't anything in the ten commandments to firmly support that socionics exists.
    The end is nigh

Creepy-Cyclops

Quote Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
    As far as I can recall, this contradicts work by Gulenko and Filatova, who seem to be under the impression that sub type can change maybe once or twice in the course of a life, but it takes a few years to happen.