Quote Originally Posted by FDG
May I ask if your interactions with ISTp-Tes match this description:
The relationship between Exxp-Ne and Ixxp-Te is one between two people empowered by specific achievements. Exxp-Ne has a habit of just doing it. Ixxp-Te has the habit of doing it really forcefully and emphatically so that its acknowledged for certain.
ISTp-Te feels constant tension - a drive, a need - to do something productive. They focus heavily on their work and personal projects, often pulling all-nighters to get things just right. The project could be a hobby, merely an entertaining distraction, but they approach it like it must be done. They formulate a loose blueprint and process flow in their minds before they begin, often loosely scheduling certain times of day when they will work on these projects. They need to "see" evidence of their contribution, skill, intellect, in the production of something useful, beautiful, exacting. Without these milestones, the 'lows' in quiet moments are overwhelming - they begin to question why they even bother 'being here'. I suppose these projects are a distraction from those lows; a way to keep them at bay and give themselves a purpose.

ENFp-Ne is driven by a need for constant improvement in themselves, their environments and their understanding of things. I think ENFp feels the pressure of being a bit disorganized, distracted, forgetful, etc - generally feeling "all over the place", all the time. Achievements have the same effect - it provides a focus, a useful purpose. Perfectionism nags them - "close enough" is NOT good enough for the ENFp, but it may often feel like that is as close as they will ever come. The ENFp will also pull all-nighters to get it just right, but just like the ISTp, this comes in inspired burst of productivity. They just jump into it wherever they can find a starting point and figure it out as they go.

Both feel the need to "see" personal improvement through achievement of desired results.

There's a certain inclination for competition...
Yes, yes, yes... but no. Competition here is friendly, never malicious. It's more about projecting (protecting) competency in the other's arena of prowess. The ISTp-Te and ENFp-Ne may have completely different skills but they both know that they could do what the other does equally well, if they were so inclined. They may try their hand at the other's skill set to achieve competency but there is no drive to "best" the other. There is mutual respect and appreciation in this sort of competition.

For example, if the ISTp-Te is a web developer, and the ENFP-Ne works on increasing their skill here, the ISTp appreciates the ENFp's ability - and vice versa. I think the Te and Ne feel a measure of pride in the other because both of them are (or can be) so capable in so many areas. Competition here is motivating, "improving" and bonding rather than destructive and divisive. However, the ENFp is usually most interested in learning the ISTp's skills rather than the other way around, unless those skills can be applied to ISTp's own projects/interests.

Also, because the ENFp is interested in ev-er-y-thing and often knows a little about a lot, the ISTp feels comfortable discussing even their most 'obscure' interests with them - often in a teaching way - knowing that the ENFp-Ne is receptive to learning & discussion (while most other people couldn't care less)

and attempting to subdue the other one.
This is funny. I don't think the Ne tries to subdue the Te, but the Te does try to subdue the Ne. It's never active control, but the Te controls the situation by being 'fixed'. The ISTp is convinced that their idea, way of doing something, decision, and/or conceptualized 'schedule' of events is the right way and cannot be moved by the ENFp. No matter how vehement the ENFp's outburst, or how sweet their coercion, ISTp (often) remains fixed. ENFp eventually concedes and is 'subdued' once they realize that beating & sweet-talking the rock will not move it one inch. However, over time, the ENFp begins to see that the ISTp is rational, has a good practical understanding of things and makes thoughtful decisions, so they begin to trust in it without quite so much pushback. I think the ENFp is more convinced than subdued. The ISTp also begins to trust in the ENFp's intuition about things and becomes more receptive to being "shifted" slightly if it seems best - but never moved.