I am far from organized, but I do use to do lists and daily checklists.

After my daughter was born, i noticed that i began forgetting an awful lot of things that i'd wanted to do or that needed to be done. And I've always had difficulties revolving around finances, such as when to pay this/that bill, how much grocery money do I have this month, etc. So i set up my bills to be payed by the 5th of the month (I get payed on the third). After all the bills are payed, then I know how much money I have for things like groceries, etc. And I began making lists of places I had to go to to get all those bills payed. But since, at the time, I didn't have a car, my mother drove me. So I had to make sure that the places I had to go to where set up in a fairly straight (or U shaped) line to prevent gas wastage and frazzling my mother's nerves. Then I began using to do lists as a way of thinking out loud and a way of reviewing what it was i was just thinking.

Today, I make tons of to do lists. That doesn't mean I follow through with them. I just make them a lot. I think it's actually impeded my memory abilities though because once something is written down on the list, it's "safe" to forget it because all I'd have to do is read the list again to "remember" it. But if I place items on the list in separated spaces on the paper, it becomes easier for me to remember something by remembering its location on the paper. Since I've moved to this place, lists are very important. Going into town is a bit of a trip, uses quite a bit of gas and quite a bit of time. I only do it once maybe twice a week. This means that I have to make sure I get as much done in town as I can, preferably as efficient as I can. So now-a-days I'm regularly seen with a piece of paper and pencil in hand as I run around town getting things done.

Speaking of getting things done, there is a system set up for people like me which is actually called "Getting Things Done". It's a very simple and easy program to follow if you think out loud on paper. I don't follow the whole program, mostly just the inbox and next action steps.

Oh, and when I want to incorporate a set of new habits into my lifestyle, then I use a daily checklist to help remind me to do that/those habits. But when I do it is usually left up to me and my moods.

As such, I consider to do lists and daily checklists to be a form of flexible "organization".