Thread: Behaviours of temperaments

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Behaviours of temperaments

This morning I was thinking about how sometimes each type can sometimes resemble their contrary type.

I had remembered reading something about this in Rebel's article (at the bottom)- Behaviours of Temperaments (socionics.com)

I've copied what he said below.

I remembered him saying we can act like a different temperament when in stress mode but only just spotted the bit about 'in downtime'. That's so interesting to me. I think that is part of the appeal of some of the types for me- is that every now and again they act like their contrary type, a type I might admire but not typically spend much time around. E.g In an Esfp I will sometimes see flashes of SEI. With particular types it might be more noticeable/ appealing. Not sure how it works with dual partners for example.

Rebel doesn't mention contrary types..but he does mention EPs acting like IPs etc.

Temporary Changes in Temperament

The above descriptions are certainly not exhaustive. It should also be noted that when under excessive stress and sometimes in downtime, the observer temperament will behave like an experimenter and vice versa, while leaders will behave like a planners and vice versa. This is because the psyche will attempt to change its reference perspective (from externalized to internalized, or vice versa) in an attempt to find solutions that have eluded them. However, temperaments never change their objectives and remain either input or output oriented.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He also talks about people changing temperaments in old age- something to look out for..

These apparent changes in temperament are symptoms of the psyche looking for solutions when pursuing objectives; when all else fails, it 'tries' to look elsewhere. If the primary input/output system normally uses externally referenced data or processes, it will attempt to reference internally (or vice versa); however, this means switching from closed-loop modes of operation to open-loop (or vice versa). Also, if the primary normally uses relative data or processes, it will switch to absolute data or processes (or vice versa); thus, it would try to input with a S instead of N perspective (or vice versa) and output with a T instead of F perspective (or vice versa). Because the psyche is routinized in the use of normal processes and preferences, it has to make a complete switch so as to avoid potential confusion or conflict while maintaining sight of the objectives. Note that this transition likely occurs much more frequently in youth (when people are trying to 'find themselves') and perhaps (to a lesser extent?) in retirement when things are slower paced and no longer matter as much. Thus, secondary functioning in youth may be viewed as a failure mode while in later life, it may be accepted more as broadening of the soul. --
    I/O

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany View Post
    Also, if the primary normally uses relative data or processes, it will switch to absolute data or processes (or vice versa); thus, it would try to input with a S instead of N perspective (or vice versa) and output with a T instead of F perspective (or vice versa).
    not sure what this implies. I know he did say before that we act like our dual in stress mode sometimes

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

> sometimes resemble their contrary type

Close by dichotomies types have a similarity. With worse knowing someone and worse types understanding you may get resembling to any type, where more of such will be for close types.

also

There are different traits and situations which may predispose to a behavior more common for other Jung types.
    For example, a human with extravertion which is tired will reduce contacts and may look closer to introverts. Can to have higher anxiety in a situation or general - with same shift in a behavior.

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I still think EPs give me IP feels sometimes, in a good way