TIM
    IEE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hideo Kojima

The guy behind the MGS series. ILI?

"Japanese players do not like being thrown into an arena in which they are given very little instruction. You can head in any direction, 360 degrees. They say, 'What am I supposed to do? Give me hints. Provide me service instead of just throwing me into this arena.'"

"I always observe the people who pass by when I ride an escalator. I'll never see most of them again, so I imagine a lot of things about their lives... about the day ahead of them."

From MGS2, which was released in 2001:

"But in the current, digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all it's triteness. Never fading, always accessible. Rumors about petty issues, misinterpretations, slander... All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. It will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution.

Raiden, you seem to think that our plan is one of censorship. You're being silly! What we propose to do is not to control content, but to create context. The digital society furthers human flaws and selectively rewards development of convenient half-truths. Just look at the strange juxtapositions of morality around you. Billions spent on new weapons in order to humanely murder other humans. Rights of criminals are given more respect than the privacy of their victims. Although there are people suffering in poverty, huge donations are made to protect endangered species.

Everyone grows up being told the same thing. Be nice to other people. But beat out the competition! You're special. Believe in yourself and you will succeed. But it's obvious from the start that only a few can succeed...

You exercise your right to 'freedom' and this is the result. All rhetoric to avoid conflict and protect each other from hurt. The untested truths spun by different interests continue to churn and accumulate in the sandbox of political correctness and value systems.

Everyone withdraws into their own small gated community, afraid of a larger forum. They stay inside their little ponds leaking whatever 'truth' suits them into the growing cesspool of society at large.

The different cardinal truths neither clash nor mesh. No one is invalidated, but nobody is right. Not even natural selection can take place here. The world is being engulfed in 'truth'. And this is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper."

TIM
    EII Sx/Sp 9w1 (954)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, ILI