Threaded View

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Default Jane Austen

I've just seen a recent TV version of Mansfield Park (which wasn't that good ) - but it seems that there are similar values favoured by Austen as in Pride and Prejudice. She always initially mentions Alpha values in a favourable light (or at least the basis of the main character(s)), such as desire for comfort, reading indoors, intellectual pursuits etc., and then a 'dark' Gamma element is introduced - in Mansfield Park this is chiefly done by the introduction of Mary Crawford (who is possibly ENTj) - who has an obsession of money, and rich relatives dying etc. Jane Austen always seems to be against the idea of getting married for the sake of social reasons + ties, and has a negative view of people who flaunt their wealth.

I think the main character, Fanny Price is ISFp, and her brother William (a naval officer) is ENTp. She is pursued by Thomas Crawford, who I think is ESTp, especially when compared to William - their opinions of being in the navy are different - Thomas Crawford seems to have a taste for glory + danger, William shuns it.

Fanny Price gets along well with William, and eventual marries Edmund after he rejects Maria for her unhealthy obsession in dying relatives as well as his own goal of being in the church. I think he is INTj.

There was a recent discussion about Pride and Prejudice here, and it seems obvious (I know UDP thinks so too ) that it also favoured Alpha characters.
    (http://the16types.info/forums/viewto...1c5f1d99ca773d)

I've seen Jane Austen as being typed as INTp more often than INTj if I recall, blah blah blah I think she's INTj.

Where so many hours have been spent in convincing myself that I am right, is there not some reason to fear I may be wrong?
    Silly things do cease to be silly if they are done by sensible people in an impudent way.
    (Emma)

One cannot fix one's eyes on the commonest natural production without finding food for a rambling fancy
    (Mansfield Park)

Where any one body of educated men, of whatever denomination, are condemned indiscriminately, there must be a deficiency of information, or...of something else
    (Mansfield Park)
    We have all a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be
    (Mansfield Park)

But also, there are also these kind of quotes, which in the context of the whole book, are probably meant ironically: e.g. the first line of Pride and Prejudice is:
    It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
    A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of
    (Mansfield Park)