Quote Originally Posted by Logos
Quote Originally Posted by XoX
Quote Originally Posted by XoX
Quote Originally Posted by discojoe
Right now the US is a psychopathic ENFj.
And being led by an ESTp president who is upsetting the INFj hippies and protesters.
Anyways about Scandinavia...Finland is often considered ISTp. So is Japan btw. I'm not sure about Finland's type. I know that in Finland engineering as a profession is highly valued (way more than e.g. business, arts or pure science). Also I know that if you have to actually read a manual or ask an advice before you can do something you are a failure by definition. American style manuals are totally laughed at. Heavy drinking is also quite usual here. I can see how Si and Te is at least somehow manifested and of course Finnish people are not known for being emotionally expressive or talkative (especially when you first meet them).
And Finland is not technically part of Scandinavia. :wink:
Well yes if you use the minimalist definition based on geography only Sweden and Norway are I just kind of naturally think of all the so called Nordic countries (i.e. Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Iceland) when I talk about "Scandinavia".
And Denmark technically is a part of Scandinavia.
Ok..let's define Scandinavia (or different "Scandinavias") more accurately. It is not such a simple and well defined area. The references are from Wikipedia:

The minimalist definition is based purely on geography and covers Sweden and Norway and a little part of Finland:
"The Scandinavian Peninsula is a geographic region in northern Europe, consisting principally of the mainland territories of Norway and Sweden. The name Scandinavian is derived from Scania, a region at the southernmost extremity of the peninsula. A small section of northwestern Finland is also on the peninsula and on its isthmus."

The definition you are talking about comes into effect when you add some cultural interpretation to geographical interpretation and adds Denmark to the mix:
"Scandinavia is a historical and geographical region centered on the Scandinavian Peninsula in Northern Europe and includes the three kingdoms of Denmark, Norway and Sweden."

This can be again expanded by including Iceland (and Faroe Islands):
"In linguistics and cultural studies, the definition of Scandinavia is expanded to include the areas where Old Norse was spoken and where the North Germanic languages are now dominant. As a linguistic and cultural concept, Scandinavia thus also includes Iceland and the Faroe Islands."

This can be again be expanded by including Finland:
"As a cultural and historical concept, Scandinavia can include Finland as well, often with reference to the nation's long history as a part of Sweden. Although Finland is culturally closely related to the other Scandinavian countries, the Finns form a distinct linguistic and ethnic group, with a Finno-Ugric population that has incorporated features from both Eastern and Western Europe."

I usually don't make a big difference between the term "Nordic Countries" and "Scandinavia" as Scandinavia cannot be that accurately defined but Nordic countries can:
"Although it depends on context which countries are considered Scandinavian, the term the Nordic countries is used unambiguously for Norway, Sweden, Denmark (including the Faroe Islands and Greenland), Finland (including Åland) and Iceland."