Quote Originally Posted by science as magic
Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan
In theory, having a dominant rational functions causes people to be more straightforward about decisions and an actions. Rational functions appear to be less changeable than irrational ones. Therefore, a person with a dominant rational function might be more inclined to follow a plan and to do what was planned. Activities might be more straightforward ("I decided to do x, and so x is what I did.")
i think this is overly simplistic. in my opinion p types just "oscillate" more than j types. it seems like p types have less personality density?
Not sure; none of the Socionics descriptions of rationality/irrationality mention "personality density." How would you define it?

whereas p types sort of take 2 steps forward and one step back? (then one to the left and they walk downstairs and grab a cup of coffee and where was i? oh right, i came downstairs for a reason. wtf?! guh *walks upstairs* damn it no sugar!)
Sounds pretty dysfunctional. Actually, that's exactly how I feel sometimes, but I think irrational types can be focused; and even when they are, they still exhibit different behaviors than judging types.

Anyhow, I didn't mean for this thread to focus on the words I use to paraphrase Socionics descriptions of rat/irrat; my point is how those concepts are often described in ways that (in some interpretations) seem to conflict with descriptions of quadra values in regard to N and S.