ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    Well, if we're talking about academia then here are my thoughts:

I've found the best teachers for practical hands-on stuff to be delta STs, for applicable theory to be ENTj, INTp and a type that I got along really well with, , don't know what type he was, for social sciences ENFp and ENFj, coaching ESTp ESFp, computer stuff ENTp and something else similar in type to the other person I didn't know his type, art and writing INFp. Those are types of people I found were able to communicate well their respective subjects to me. Oh, and my kindergarten teacher was probably INFj and she was great too.
    Kindergarten's academia? When I say academia I mean the specific realm of higher level education, professors, research, scholars, peer review, and collegiate lectures.
    You mean all the useless stuff whose complete elimination would make humanity advance?

especially peer review! I swear if they all just sat down doing nothing instead of peer reviewing, there would at least be less waste of paper
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dag, can we let the pretentiousness issue go? geez. some academics are pretentious some are not. there's plenty of other professions where people are pretentious as well.

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by diamond8
    dag, can we let the pretentiousness issue go?
    No I could just hear Logos pampering his chest while writing academia in Italics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by vigilante
    From personal experience, a good portion of the elites in undergraduate pure mathematics who stay with their program are ILIs and LII's.

Most of the other types end up in more practical disciplines.

The same applies to my profs, but I don't want to draw conclusions because the very nature of pure mathematics is highly and in nature.
    And since when is math an "unpractical discipline"?!? It's very practical. And then you say you "don't want to draw conclusions", and then in your very next words you ARE drawing conclusions? You make no sense.
    I didn't want to draw any conclusions about my profs' types. I only suggested that perhaps that they were primarily in nature. But yes, I have drawn conclusions about the relationship between and pure mathematics. By more applied disciplines, engineering, computer science, accounting, or statistics come to the top of my head.

It is kind of beside the point what one's definition of 'pure mathematics' is. I guess you just have to take it on faith that it is not practical unless you really want more details, which would probably merit a different thread...

These are the kinds of people who enjoy talking about various definition of of "draw" and observe whether the statement "it is possible to 'draw' a 2D box on a 1D surface" is true or not.
    ILI

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG
    You mean all the useless stuff whose complete elimination would make humanity advance?

especially peer review! I swear if they all just sat down doing nothing instead of peer reviewing, there would at least be less waste of paper
    Basicially. But Alpha practices have never been entirely "practical" now have they?

No I could just hear Logos pampering his chest while writing academia in Italics
    Well actually I did not write academia in Italics. I first typed out the word academia, then highlighted the text, and finally I clicked the Italics button which surrounded the text with the proper coding. So with one hand on the mouse and the other on the keyboard, it would be quite hard for me to have pampered my chest while typing. And it would have been even more of feat for you to have heard me doing as such from the other side of the Atlantic.
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Logos

Basicially. But Alpha practices have never been entirely "practical" now have they?
    Some theories are cool. But peer review??

Well actually I did not write academia in Italtics. I first typed out the word academia, then highlighted the text, and finally I clicked the Italics button which surrounded the text with the proper coding. So with one hand on the mouse and the other on the keyboard, it would be quite hard for me to have pampered my chest while typing. And it would have been even more of feat for you to have heard me doing as such from the other side of the Atlantic.
    I don't know the character Italtics, sorry...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILE

those who are easily shocked.....should be shocked more often

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

though cumbersome, that is needed to verify, re-verify and re-re-verify results from an earlier study before it's accepted into the scientific community.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stefana

though cumbersome, that is needed to verify, re-verify and re-re-verify results from an earlier study before it's accepted into the scientific community.
    it's just done to make the scientific community a very closed sistem and to waste some time that could be better spent...having sex?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's just done to make the scientific community a very closed sistem and to waste some time that could be better spent...having sex?
    haha.. well at least it provides some people an occupational niche. i personally find it boring and that is why stefana will never get a Ph.D.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haha.. well at least it provides some people an occupational niche. i personally find it boring and that is why stefana will never get a Ph.D.
    this means you prefer having sex!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this means you prefer having sex!!!
    broadly, it means i prefer doing other things other than conducting a research.

quit it matto. lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The main point of peer review is that the more experienced researchers who usually review the papers can control and steal research results from more talented newbies and thus "stay ahead of the curve" and feel more secure about their position in the community.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XoX

The main point of peer review is that the more experienced researchers who usually review the papers can control and steal research results from more talented newbies and thus "stay ahead of the curve" and feel more secure about their position in the community.
    Yeah, that's broadly what I had in mind. I think they should be killed?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

IxFps make good English teachers (i.e. the creative uses of your native language?) - there's a lot of them about.

For non-English languages - I've had a ISTp French teacher (he actually was French - he wasn't a very good ambassador - he was always going on about how much his shoes smelt, and muttering in French deliberately to get a reaction. I think the only French I really remember is 'je me suis en retard', which I had to say at the start (or a 'few' minutes into it *ahem*) ). I've had a ENFp German teacher, and possibly a ISFj French teacher (uncertain - I actually liked her a lot of the time, and she was a good teacher, probably the best foreign language one. I also had a teacher who taught me French (but was German) who was probably a ISFp (very passive). All of my foreign language teachers seem quite angsty\troublesome for some reason - the ones I didn't have seemed quite Beta ish. The general trend was an absence of xNTx teachers (maybe they prefer to study language rather than teach it...or?).

Alpha NT = physics teachers

I had a INFj teacher who was good at teaching Biology (maybe the human + cute animal aspect is appealing ).

I've noticed quite a few xSTx teachers for Chemistry, as well as a INTp - so maybe it's a xxTp thing?

For Religious Education, I had a INFj - they\he was good at finding commonalities\trends between religions etc. and wasn't bogged down by the details - he didn't critique each religion, but talked about religion in general. (I think I had a ISFj R.E. teacher too - ouch - so maybe some aspects are ).

Philosophy - I've only had one teacher, who was a INTp - he was good. The course was about a priori + a posteriori knowledge and stuff like that.

History teachers seem to be quite Betaish IME.

Mathmatics seems quite a varied thing - though the teachers IME tend to be introverts and/or types (I've had a ISTp and a ENxp teacher, amongst others).

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    335 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since we're talking about teachers, here are all the teachers I've typed, by subject. I have personally been in classes with all but a few of them.

Math:
    INTJ
    ISFJ
    INTP
    ISTJ

Physics:
    INTJ
    ENTJ?

Chemistry:
    INTJ
    ESFJ

Biology:
    ESTJ
    ISTP
    ESFP
    ISTJ

Economics:
    ENTP
    ENFJ (later administrator)

History:
    ESFJ
    ENTJ
    ENFP
    INTP
    ISFJ/INFJ
    INFJ

Foreign Language:
    ESFJ
    ISFJ
    ESFJ
    INFJ
    ESFJ

Literature:
    ENTP
    ISFJ
    ISFP
    ENFP
    ESFJ
    INFJ
    ISTJ

Computers:
    INFJ/ISFJ

Music:
    INFP
    ESTJ/ESFJ

Physical Education, Teamwork Building, etc.:
    ISFJ

(not really teachers

Librarian:
    ISFJ

Counselor:
    ISFJ

Bio: Delta
    Physics: Alpha NT
    Foreign Language: F (and usually S)
    Literature: Sj, more often than not.

I haven't met an ENTx who didn't like history/politics.

I have seen only a couple IxFp teachers (no ISFps--well, one ISFj who might be ISFp), but I agree INFps are generally proficient at creative writing. High school teaching as a whole is vastly more popular with rational types--in my sample, 83%!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they should be killed?
    I'm trying hard to read your mind but I'm not sure if you think they should be killed. Do you? I would guess yes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12