TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    423 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subterranean
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim
    You cannot claim that feelings and emotions that you can't feel make people deluded. There is no evidence that backs up the claim that it's the truth that "people who believe in God are deluded." As long as you have not investigated every side of the issue you are talking about, you cannot claim to know the truth about it. And to go all Ne postmodernist on you: "Because you cannot ever know everything about something, you cannot ever claim to know the truth."
    David Attenborough, (brother of Richard) a famous nature presenter really admires the beauty of nature but he is an atheist - his reason is, that despite the beauty of nature, when you see a flesh-eating parasite slowly eating away the flesh of a child's eye in Africa, it's difficult to believe in an all loving, all powerful god, like most religions do - god can't have both these properties, unless you think god is showing his love by having flesh-eating parasites, or you think god is showing his infinite power by being unable to stop a fly etc. etc.. On these grounds, god can't logically exist, unless he isn't so perfect, in which case, there isn't any evidence to prove he exists anyway.
    Who says that truth is always based on logic? How do you prove that? Isn't that boring and limiting?

Besides, I don't think most religious people believe in an all loving god (you should hear the preachers on my campus...). And all powerful does not mean he would necessarily interfere. This is not at all a valid argument against the existence of a god. I am not religious, but I like to play devil's advocate here because that argument does not work simply because the semantics are more limited than the issue calls for. People's idea of god generally is more complex than that.
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

TIM
    INTj
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17
    you should swim to africa and back to pass the time.

This is the only thing you have said thus far that made me laugh. Not trying to be critical in any way, but i dont see how this remark is any different than the others, but I only found this one funny.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second and say that you forgot one important thing about the bible, they have an explaination for just about everything. Adam and Eve ate the apple and so they shall now suffer. Why there are flesh eating parasites.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The bible certainly does have a reason for just about everything, but science has shown that all humans are descended from at least seven women, shown through the testing of mitochondrial DNA lineages. If every human on Earth was descended from one woman, there would be one mitochondrial DNA lineage (we would all have the same distinct mtDNA). However, this shows there was never a point in human history where there was just an Adam and an Eve.

Also, flesh eating parasites existed millions of years before humans did, i.e. a long time before they could possibly have sinned(?) by eating an apple\fruit whatever.

The bible was also written about 1200 B.C. by a collection of authors etc.

The end.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tov
    I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second and say that you forgot one important thing about the bible, they have an explaination for just about everything. Adam and Eve ate the apple and so they shall now suffer. Why there are flesh eating parasites.
    The explanation being "God did that" for everything we can not yet fully explain. That's really not so much of an explanation as an excuse. You were probably talking to someone else, but I wanted to throw my two cents in. The thing is, say that the church says God did something. And then later it is shown that something else was the cause. The result is that the new idea is attacked and belittled. And if the new idea is accepted, no one accepts that the church was wrong. In a lot of peoples' eyes, the church can not be wrong, and hold to that belief to the bitter end.

I'm not against people having religious beliefs, or anything like that. Just be flexible enough to modify your beliefs when shown that they are incorrect.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to play devil's advocate for a second (...)
    Also, that was a awesome movie.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just because you have an explanation does not mean that you have a particularly good one. -POWER!
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not saying that it's a good argument I'm just stating what any idiot would say if they argued that side, plus my arguments were directed towards Attenborough's belief.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not saying that it's a good argument I'm just stating what any idiot would say if they argued that side, plus my arguments were directed towards Attenborough's belief.
    Well I am sure that the devil does not want an advocate who argues like an idiot. :wink:
    "Alpha Quadra subforum. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious." ~Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Johari Box

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except I wasn't really arguing now was I.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except I wasn't really arguing now was I.
    True enough.
    Johari Box

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123