Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Differences between ILI-INTp and SLI-ISTp

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLIs' Fe-polr is worse than ILIs' because of the lack of intuition. SLIs definitely come off as more hedonistic, ILIs' pragmatism makes them seem responsible.

This forum has a weird understanding of IXTx types, imo. ILIs are typed as LIIs, and LSIs as SLIs. I don't think that ILIs fit the stereotype of the unhygienic, nerdy NT. My brother is an ILI, and what strikes me immediately about him are *good* Gamma values. He takes care of his appearance. He appreciates when people talk things out, thereby avoiding unsaid emotional turmoil. He appreciates clever verbal interaction within a group, whereas LIIs appreciate their own internal wordplay. He favors being "exclusive" but through appropriate and polite conversation, where the person being made fun of may not even realize they are the butt of the joke (whereas Beta straight up bullies someone then smooths it over with Fe). He pursues a conversation to its proper end, whereas LIIs frequently leave people hanging.

I also don't think that SLIs fit the strong, silent and reliable stereotype. Possibly among older SLIs, like baby boomers, you can appreciate them for their skills and craftsmanship, or whatever, probably their generation was more Delta and they had more time and opportunity to develop. Among my own (in 20s) peers, the most obvious thing about SLIs is the IP temperament, hedonism, and lack of purpose. One of my best friends from college is SLI. He is an avid reader and collector of information, but somehow went off the deep end after college. He gained a lot of weight, developed OCD (though I've never seen him display OCD behaviors, he says it's the mental kind?), and has not tried to embark on any type of career whatsoever. He would rather leave things unsaid and let inner turmoil accumulate. He is very much affected by on-the-surface aesthetics, like he judges the quality of a thing by whether or not it looks *cool* according to what's going on at the moment. He does have a knack for knowing exactly which song, movie or TV show everybody will be talking about next week.
    Last edited by bolong; 11-14-2014 at 09:13 PM.

Honorary Ballsack
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by consentingadult View Post
    SLI women will allow you to cum in their mouths, whereas ILI women will not protest when you are going to cum in their mouths. A subtle but important difference: ignoring Se vs. suggestive Se; the SLI is in control, the ILI isn't.

Okay, I admit: this is a disgusting example.
    *note to self: wife is neither SLI or ILI *
    Important to note! People who share "indentical" socionics TIMs won't necessarily appear to be very similar, since they have have different backgrounds, experiences, capabilities, genetics, as well as different types in other typological systems (enneagram, instinctual variants, etc.) all of which also have a sway on compatibility and identification. Thus, Socionics type "identicals" won't necessarily be identical i.e. highly similar to each other, and not all people of "dual" types will seem interesting, attractive and appealing to each other.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Male SLIs are always squinting for some reason.

Otherwise, telling Lookalike types apart is (unsurprisingly) the single hardest thing to do when typing IMO. I generally look for differences in quadra alignment - in this case, Judicious/Decisive and Aristocratic/Democratic traits.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

With Te-subtypes I usually notice quadra values or positivist vs. negativist. Like someone who's realistic, more absolutist, notices negatives more often, direct, willing to write someone off, etc. vs. someone who seems mild in their outlook, passive disapproval, forgive and forget, nothing seems urgent or to hold much weight, etc. Weird Aristocratic stuff also. Maybe I'm wrong.
    Last edited by suedehead; 11-15-2014 at 08:23 AM.

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few of the differences I notice:
    - ILIs try to double-guess you/people, their answers depend on where they thing the other is coming from and what's the purpose; SLIs are generally matter-of-fact - though they might vary in answers depending on purpose.
    - ILIs might be found kinky provocative sometimes (e.g. "you tiger!"). I don't remember SLI doing that. (varies largely with one's personal culture, though)
    - ILIs tend to believe one can surpass their condition, like gaining super-powers, etc. They may do - or want to do - things just to prove to themselves that they can do things others find impossible. SLIs generally know well the human limits, just they can be wrong sometimes, limiting themselves by mental barriers.
    - in general, ILIs are guessers, they make elaborate mental plans for situations they have never been into before. SLIs don't do that, they simply "don't know" before they experiment things.
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

TIM
    SLI-Si(H)5w6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLI's are generally better looking.

As we reach for the stars, we must put away childish things; gods, spirits and other phantasms of the brain. Reality is cruel and unforgiving, yet we must steel ourselves and secure the survival of our race through the unflinching pursuit of science and technology.
    - Stellaris

Haikus
    TIM
    LSI 5w6 sx/so
    Mentioned
    144 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ILIs are more abstract and dogged ...SLIs are kinda peaceful and down-to-earth

...unless they look like Striding.

TIM
    RLOEI 6w5 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How do you differentiate an SLI from an ILI?

Pretty sure I'm one of those types.

Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Looking at your username and avatar = SLI

TIM
    ILE
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shock intuition, diamond logic.

The16types.info Scientific Model

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

SLIs if they don't agree with you are more likely to just withdraw and shrug it off.

ILIs are more likely to point out every flaw in your argument.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

SLIs approach problems simply as they come up ILIs think they can solve the entire world rather than just think oh fuck let's get the next bus or at work forget they aren't MD yet they're just lugging boxes.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILIs are socially awkward & cut themselves
    SLIs think watching sports on TV is an inspiring activity

Last edited by willekeurig; 12-26-2014 at 02:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1981slater View Post
    Axis of Evil: Iran, Iraq, North Korea and Agarina
    Quote Originally Posted by Maritsa Darmandzhyan
    Agarina does not like human beings; she just wants a pretty boy toy.
    Johari Nohari

Banned
    TIM
    SLE/LSE sx/sp
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Words View Post
    SLIs approach problems simply as they come up ILIs think they can solve the entire world rather than just think oh fuck let's get the next bus or at work forget they aren't MD yet they're just lugging boxes.
    Hmmm something else to add, ILIs are similar to IEIs in that they believe they have an instrinsic self worth more so than SLIs do, except they realise it with having efficient solutions on a global scale (Ni with Te), SLIs are more likely to drift and apply their efficient solutions for themself and smaller scale problems that life presents them.

In a way the Ni compliments the Se gives it a direction to focus on, whereas the SLI is waiting on opportunities the IEE presents to best solve it for them.... I think, from viewing the two types IRL.

Banned
    TIM
    LII (INTj)
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Agarina View Post
    & cut themselves
    WTF? No!

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LIIbrarian View Post
    SLIs if they don't agree with you are more likely to just withdraw and shrug it off.

ILIs are more likely to point out every flaw in your argument.
    This is definitely the case in my experience.

My sister is an SLI-Te, and I am an ILI-Te. She is a bit more blunt than I am, and looks at things case by case. I think SLI's in general come across as more blunt because they explain less, as if you should already understand, whereas I will spend an hour or more explaining all the angles and facets of something. This is where the positivist/negativist dichotomy and cog styles in general become more evident.

In reference to the tendency to shrug and withdraw I'd like to note that our father is an SLE-Se. Her reactions to his Se pressure are fascinating. She just flat out ignores his attempts to pressure her. She doesn't feel the need to argue a point with him, just shrugs, says "no" and walks off. It doesn't come off rude, just natural. By contrast Se pressure is almost impossible for me to ignore. My instinct is almost always to comply first, then argue second. I had to learn to temper that response when I was younger and lived at home so that my dad couldn't constantly pressure me into things. She always just did it effortlessly from a very young age. Her and I get on quite well, but there is definitely a distinct element of difference between us. She absolutely will not let you mess with her environment. If you walk into a room with her and say "sit down" she will look at you and do nothing, immune to orders and pressure she doesn't want. I find I am much more physically malleable.

Another distinct difference I have noticed between us is her Ne-seeking. Her best friend is an IEE-Ne. She gets all extra goofy and fun loving around her, it's neat. I by contrast get lightly annoyed by her and tend to want to stay away from her. Too much random free-association in the Ne subtypes for me, can't stay on a single course. Throw some free-association ideas at a suspected SLI, they may suddenly snap up, where ILI's will likely close down or start to investigate the first idea very seriously.
    Last edited by Rhaegar; 12-26-2014 at 04:25 PM.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Waster View Post
    SLI's are generally better looking.
    The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice

-Krishna

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar View Post

My sister is an SLI-Te, and I am an ILI-Te. She is a bit more blunt than I am, and looks at things case by case. I think SLI's in general come across as more blunt because they explain less, as if you should already understand, whereas I will spend an hour or more explaining all the angles and facets of something. This is where the positivist/negativist dichotomy and cog styles in general become more evident.
    I do know a couple ILI-Te (not you) though who make really strong, blunt assertions and don't explain their findings. Their attitude seems to be, you should already know that and if you don't, you're just an idiot.
    LII-Ne with strong EII tendencies, 6w7-9w1-3w4 so/sp/sx, INxP

TIM
    SLI-Si(H)5w6 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LIIbrarian View Post
    I do know a couple ILI-Te (not you) though who make really strong, blunt assertions and don't explain their findings. Their attitude seems to be, you should already know that and if you don't, you're just an idiot.
    I have had a similar experience; his arrogance annoyed the hell out of me.
    Last edited by Waster; 01-07-2015 at 06:56 PM.

As we reach for the stars, we must put away childish things; gods, spirits and other phantasms of the brain. Reality is cruel and unforgiving, yet we must steel ourselves and secure the survival of our race through the unflinching pursuit of science and technology.
    - Stellaris

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maithili View Post
    SLIs' Fe-polr is worse than ILIs' because of the lack of intuition. SLIs definitely come off as more hedonistic, ILIs' pragmatism makes them seem responsible.

This forum has a weird understanding of IXTx types, imo. ILIs are typed as LIIs, and LSIs as SLIs. I don't think that ILIs fit the stereotype of the unhygienic, nerdy NT. My brother is an ILI, and what strikes me immediately about him are *good* Gamma values. He takes care of his appearance. He appreciates when people talk things out, thereby avoiding unsaid emotional turmoil. He appreciates clever verbal interaction within a group, whereas LIIs appreciate their own internal wordplay. He favors being "exclusive" but through appropriate and polite conversation, where the person being made fun of may not even realize they are the butt of the joke (whereas Beta straight up bullies someone then smooths it over with Fe). He pursues a conversation to its proper end, whereas LIIs frequently leave people hanging.

I also don't think that SLIs fit the strong, silent and reliable stereotype. Possibly among older SLIs, like baby boomers, you can appreciate them for their skills and craftsmanship, or whatever, probably their generation was more Delta and they had more time and opportunity to develop. Among my own (in 20s) peers, the most obvious thing about SLIs is the IP temperament, hedonism, and lack of purpose. One of my best friends from college is SLI. He is an avid reader and collector of information, but somehow went off the deep end after college. He gained a lot of weight, developed OCD (though I've never seen him display OCD behaviors, he says it's the mental kind?), and has not tried to embark on any type of career whatsoever. He would rather leave things unsaid and let inner turmoil accumulate. He is very much affected by on-the-surface aesthetics, like he judges the quality of a thing by whether or not it looks *cool* according to what's going on at the moment. He does have a knack for knowing exactly which song, movie or TV show everybody will be talking about next week.
    This is closest to my experience with ILI and SLI.

One thing I noticed in my friends/family is that the SLI has more traditional moral values even if they can seem a bit warped and unfair to me. For instance, his beliefs almost border on the misogynistic sometimes if taken at face value (not saying they are all like that). He wants a traditional wife and family even though his lifestyle is not really traditional since he is a tattoo artist. It is like he has two distinct personas. One where he is the fun-loving,, cool guy who has groupies and the other is the the traditional family man who moralizes about everyone else's behaviour but his own.

The ILI I knew were way more in their heads and didn't seem to be hindered by traditional morality since they used more logic when examining moral issues. They were also very careful with their hygiene. By my standards, they had deeper philosophical thoughts, and could sway me to believe in many things, that others couldn't, just by purely rational/logical explanations. It was often hard to find a good counter-argument during debates with them because it is like they had it all figured out. If I did't know the topic well I was way out of my league. I think they influenced me to be more analytical.

It was easier to debate the SLI on moral issues than it was to debate the ILI on any issues. I never felt out of my intelligence league with the SLI who I am closest to but he was not very well read or anything because he was into one on one sports (mainly while he was in school) and sort of built an ego around his strength and vitality. This is an attitude he still carries even though he can no longer participate in his sport. If he hadn't been hurt I am sure the SLI could have made an great MMA fighter. He is an excellent skin artist though.

Both the ILI I was very close to had that robotic sort of feel to them but once I got through that exterior wall I felt I had way more in common with them than the SLI. I certainly had more to talk about with them than the SLI whose interests are very different than my own so we had trouble connecting on that level.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

TIM
    9w8
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look, its all about the Si/Ni. Si-dom person is very obvious.

TIM
    psyche 4w5 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    1005 Post(s)
    Tagged
    42 Thread(s)

By contrast Se pressure is almost impossible for me to ignore. My instinct is almost always to comply first, then argue second. I had to learn to temper that response when I was younger and lived at home so that my dad couldn't constantly pressure me into things.
    Cool, thanks for sharing this. It sounds similar to my ex's (ILI) response to Se. His dad was SLE-Se and his mom EII-Ne. His dad was his major source of stress since he felt pressured all the time to do things the way his dad wanted him to while wanting to do his own thing. He tried to do both (for financial reasons) which I know was hard on him. His dad would often say things in an attempt to diminish his achievements but I think it was out of jealousy. His dad would say how he could do this and that and he didn't have a university degree... His dad would have prefered if he had run the family business instead of getting a masters degree. :/

I had to act as a bridge (translator) between all three of them, most of the time, in conversations to ease the tension in the room. The tension was mostly between him and his dad or his mom and his dad. I was like the only one who could kind of see where the SLE dad was coming from and I felt bad for him when they would get totally frustrated and ignore his pushing.

With The ILI's EII mom it was totally different. She had a genius IQ level but he had a an excellent counter-argument on every issue they discussed. I hate to put it this way but he sort of crushed her in debate and I often felt bad for her. He wasn't being mean or anything. He just always had the better arguments but I rarely saw him engage his dad in arguments. If anything he sort of inwardly dismissed a lot of what his dad had to say outright because of the manner it was presented to him. I think he felt a bit superior to his dad and it came out in a cold way when they communicated. When I was there I would try to lighten the situation up and let his dad know I appreciated the stories of his accomplishments because they never did. That was a hard family to have dinner with!

Edit: I think from all my various posts (on the influence ILI have had on me) on this forum that it is apparent that I hold them in high regard and admire the way their brains function.
    Last edited by Aylen; 01-07-2015 at 07:41 PM.

“My typology is . . . not in any sense to stick labels on people at first sight. It is not a physiognomy and not an anthropological system, but a critical psychology dealing with the organization and delimitation of psychic processes that can be shown to be typical.”​ —C.G. Jung

YWIMW

Quote Originally Posted by Contra View Post
    SLIs can tend to be a bit geekier (Ne DS) and they are also usually into mechanical processes and physical tasks/play more than ILIs. SLIs tend to be pretty invested in the physical world (having material things, having multiple hobbies, and being into their self image) whereas ILIs are much more in their head and their hobbies can be a bit more intellectual. ILIs can also be into material things and their self image but they have a harder time caring and keeping up as well as SLIs can (maybe due to Se DS). Where I lived SLIs almost uniformly conformed to the outdoorsmen and mechanics cliques, but, as I said, they can also be fairly geeky. Like into starwars, video games, and like war history and things of that sort

EDIT: I want to add that despite SLIs being invested significantly more invested in their self image I find that they are typically worse dressers because they don't seem to pay attention to the wider trends (or even the particularities) of what people wear. Even if they do they are usually still conservative in adapting to those trends. This may only apply to my experience though.
    could you elaborate on this point? what wider trends are ILIs noticing that SLIs ignore?

also I've noticed ILIs are naturally good cooks, Is this also true of SLIs?
    Last edited by ConcreteButterfly; 01-07-2015 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aylen View Post
    This is closest to my experience with ILI and SLI.

One thing I noticed in my friends/family is that the SLI has more traditional moral values even if they can seem a bit warped and unfair to me. For instance, his beliefs almost border on the misogynistic sometimes if taken at face value (not saying they are all like that). He wants a traditional wife and family even though his lifestyle is not really traditional since he is a tattoo artist. It is like he has two distinct personas. One where he is the fun-loving,, cool guy who has groupies and the other is the the traditional family man who moralizes about everyone else's behaviour but his own.

The ILI I knew were way more in their heads and didn't seem to be hindered by traditional morality since they used more logic when examining moral issues. They were also very careful with their hygiene. By my standards, they had deeper philosophical thoughts, and could sway me to believe in many things, that others couldn't, just by purely rational/logical explanations. It was often hard to find a good counter-argument during debates with them because it is like they had it all figured out. If I did't know the topic well I was way out of my league. I think they influenced me to be more analytical.

It was easier to debate the SLI on moral issues than it was to debate the ILI on any issues. I never felt out of my intelligence league with the SLI who I am closest to but he was not very well read or anything because he was into one on one sports (mainly while he was in school) and sort of built an ego around his strength and vitality. This is an attitude he still carries even though he can no longer participate in his sport. If he hadn't been hurt I am sure the SLI could have made an great MMA fighter. He is an excellent skin artist though.

Both the ILI I was very close to had that robotic sort of feel to them but once I got through that exterior wall I felt I had way more in common with them than the SLI. I certainly had more to talk about with them than the SLI whose interests are very different than my own so we had trouble connecting on that level.
    I think ILIs can partially detach from their own beliefs and analyze them objectively. They don't mind debating them with others, and will welcome when others point out how they are contradictory or there's something they've overlooked (as long as it's done unemotionally and the person has a valid argument). They also seem to be unafraid of analyzing ideas which are quite divergent from the norms of society, for example the ethics of slavery, whereas SLIs seem to resist that. SLIs tend to adopt simplistic beliefs which ease the spiritual chaos that they've accumulated within, from living such physically instinctive lives. It's almost like beliefs and real life = two different things for the SLI. They are very integrated for the ILI, who does nothing except on the basis of a well thought out belief. And the beliefs of an ILI are complex, linked in a web to a hundred different ideas, all in perfect stasis. SLI's beliefs tend to be too rudimentary, unrealistic and disconnected from each other, and rejected when they disturb the physical (and psychological) comfort SLIs are always looking for. Basically SLIs are unwilling to face the discomfort involved in honestly analyzing their beliefs, piecing them together to get to the truth. ILIs are ready to do that, sometimes at the cost of their own health.
    Last edited by ConcreteButterfly; 01-08-2015 at 01:13 AM.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ConcreteButterfly View Post
    could you elaborate on this point? what wider trends are ILIs noticing that SLIs ignore?

also I've noticed ILIs are naturally good cooks, Is this also true of SLIs?
    Honestly, I can't completely explain it. It's just the impression I've gotten. For some reason or another I've noticed Se valuers, and maybe Ni egos in particular, tend to be better (or maybe just care more) at managing aesthetics and dealing with the trends that encompass those aesthetics. It's like an area where I can be creative so I kind of like it. I've never really tried my hand at cooking or met an ILI that cared about it (probably because it's a lot of work for an end of physical comfort) so I can't really talk about it but I'd imagine it works somewhat similarly.

Honestly, I can't completely explain it. It's just the impression I've gotten. For some reason or another I've noticed Se valuers, and maybe Ni egos in particular, tend to be better (or maybe just care more) at managing aesthetics and dealing with the trends that encompass those aesthetics. It's like an area where I can be creative so I kind of like it. I've never really tried my hand at cooking or met an ILI that cared about it (probably because it's a lot of work for an end of physical comfort) so I can't really talk about it but I'd imagine it works somewhat similarly.

yeah I've noticed ILIs dont care about cooking in general, don't bother with it because they aren't seeking physical comfort. but the ones I know are pretty good at it when they do it.

also Maybe Se valuers in general are able to encompass trends because aesthetics for them extends beyond their own personal tastes, Se is the function of influence, money, power, territory. keeping up with aesthetic trends would allow them to maintain influence in a group (to some extent).

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

also Maybe Se valuers in general are able to encompass trends because aesthetics for them extends beyond their own personal tastes, Se is the function of influence, money, power, territory. keeping up with aesthetic trends would allow them to maintain influence in a group (to some extent).
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by suedehead View Post
    No.
    no, it doesn't maintain their influence? or no, Se isn't about that?

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For some reason or another I've noticed Se valuers, and maybe Ni egos in particular, tend to be better (or maybe just care more) at managing aesthetics and dealing with the trends that encompass those aesthetics.
    Maybe this is just a difference in preference; Si/Ne folk prefer Si/Ne aesthetics and Ni people are more into trends or shock effects or whatever. I rarely meet Si egos whose sense of style I don't envy, whereas Ni egos (excluding some IEIs maybe) tend to be the absolute worst dressers IMO. Their clothes often seem trashy or awkward or just extremely unfit for the situation, to a point where I'm sometimes embarrassed to be in their company. My EIE mom, for example, seems to think that a dalmatian patterned umbrella with pink lace and fake diamonds is a good fit for a business dinner with important customers. Some other EIEs I know wear UGG(ly) boots and similar expensive, popular clothes for reasons that are beyond my understanding. All of the ILIs I know have a milder version of the stereotypical teenage emo kid style (though I only know 4 or 5). The LIEs I know take "practicality over style" to an extreme where they'll, for example, wear old people's safety shoes with ice spikes to a bar because they're quick to put on and the ground is icy.. Si people I know basically look down on people who follow trends instead of developing an individual style.
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

no, it doesn't maintain their influence? or no, Se isn't about that?
    I don't dress in order to maintain pack status. There are probably other factors that go into that.

I don't dress in order to maintain pack status. There are probably other factors that go into that.
    hm you're probably right , maybe what @Agarina said factors into it

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

Delta irrationals are by far the biggest disasters when it comes to style.

TIM
    ILI-Ni
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe this is just a difference in preference; Si/Ne folk prefer Si/Ne aesthetics and Ni people are more into trends or shock effects or whatever. I rarely meet Si egos whose sense of style I don't envy, whereas Ni egos (excluding some IEIs maybe) tend to be the absolute worst dressers IMO. Their clothes often seem trashy or awkward or just extremely unfit for the situation, to a point where I'm sometimes embarrassed to be in their company. My EIE mom, for example, seems to think that a dalmatian patterned umbrella with pink lace and fake diamonds is a good fit for a business dinner with important customers. Some other EIEs I know wear UGG(ly) boots and similar expensive, popular clothes for reasons that are beyond my understanding. All of the ILIs I know have a milder version of the stereotypical teenage emo kid style (though I only know 4 or 5). The LIEs I know take "practicality over style" to an extreme where they'll, for example, wear old people's safety shoes with ice spikes to a bar because they're quick to put on and the ground is icy.. Si people I know basically look down on people who follow trends instead of developing an individual style.
    I think there is a personal preference component, but that's not really what I was talking about it. What I meant was that Se valuers (and specifically image conscious Se valuers) probably pay closer attention to dress conventions and whether they fully conform to them or they try to break them is a different matter. If they break them they will probably still try to fall in line with what people will think is "cool", at least that's what I've noticed. There's always a reference back to what's accepted. In that way, unless there is some other factor at play like belonging to a a very niche group such as emos or skaters or whatever, you will see less variation and that means less bad dressers but also probably less people who really care to break the mold. When you look at Ne/Si valuing quadras, image conscious Si valuers tend to pay closer attention to what they like and what they like may not be in line with what everyone else thinks is cool, and I often notice that despite their claims they often do want what they like to be in line with what everyone else thinks is cool (this may also vary with subtype, who knows). They just have sort of a different method to achieve alignment. One of my best friends growing up was an SLI, for a time in high school he started dressing like a thug because he had deemed that cool. He still cared about what people thought and once he had gotten shit for dressing the way he did, he changed. I've known other SLIs who've done pretty much the same thing. I had another SLI friend who wore a shirt from when he was like 13. It looked strange and he wasn't really trying to be original. He just thought it looked good until a drunk girl at a party told him otherwise. However, I think it's also important to note that Si doms probably also made up a lot of the hipster subculture and they managed to pretty much define a lot of the dress trends for these years so obviously there's a benefit to not paying attention to conventions. Maybe it's important Si valuers stay in groups so they can affirm each other's originality, I don't know.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darya View Post
    Delta irrationals are by far the biggest disasters when it comes to style.
    o.O That's interesting. Delta irrationals (+ SEIs) are the types that in my experience & opinion dress the best. The more I spend time on this forum the more I feel that some people here live in a different planet. I've never met a Si dom irl that didn't basically look like they're coming from some (underground?) fashion magasines photo shoot. From all of my friends, they're the ones that get stopped on the street for compliments and have been asked to do modeling. IEEs I know don't have classy and harmonous styles like the Si doms, so I can see how someone could dislike their styles, but I personally admire the playfulness and strange combinations (like, 50's housewife + steam punk) my IEE friends do.

I have Si polrs + ILIs down as the worst dressers, though some EIEs (such as NewbornStar) have a bit of a similar randomness to their style as the IEEs that I like a lot.
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there is a personal preference component, but that's not really what I was talking about it. What I meant was that Se valuers (and specifically image conscious Se valuers) probably pay closer attention to dress conventions and whether they fully conform to them or they try to break them is a different matter. If they break them they will probably still try to fall in line with what people will think is "cool", at least that's what I've noticed. There's always a reference back to what's accepted. In that way, unless there is some other factor at play like belonging to a a very niche group such as emos or skaters or whatever, you will see less variation and that means less bad dressers but also probably less people who really care to break the mold. When you look at Ne/Si valuing quadras, image conscious Si valuers tend to pay closer attention to what they like and what they like may not be in line with what everyone else thinks is cool, and I often notice that despite their claims they often do want what they like to be in line with what everyone else thinks is cool (this may also vary with subtype, who knows). They just have sort of a different method to achieve alignment. One of my best friends growing up was an SLI, for a time in high school he started dressing like a thug because he had deemed that cool. He still cared about what people thought and once he had gotten shit for dressing the way he did, he changed. I've known other SLIs who've done pretty much the same thing. I had another SLI friend who wore a shirt from when he was like 13. It looked strange and he wasn't really trying to be original. He just thought it looked good until a drunk girl at a party told him otherwise. However, I think it's also important to note that Si doms probably also made up a lot of the hipster subculture and they managed to pretty much define a lot of the dress trends for these years so obviously there's a benefit to not paying attention to conventions. Maybe it's important Si valuers stay in groups so they can affirm each other's originality, I don't know.
    Being concerned about what other people think is cool seems more stackings-related than quadra-related to me. The so lasts that I know generally don't give a shit about conventions and often aren't that aware of them either - no matter the quadra. They go for their own preferences and might even look down on people who follow trends and try to look conventionally attractive. So-doms seem to be more aware of what's generally considered attractive in their culture/group, and are motivated to fulfill these requirements. IME ones with weak and/or unvalued Si are (in general) worse at accomplishing this than others, of which my EIE so/sx mom is a good example - she sure is interested in looking "conventionally good", but often fails miserably. I think she's actually more of less aware of this, as she often asks my SLE dad, my ESE sister and me for advice before important meetings etc.
    Johari Nohari

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Most people in general don't seem to care that much about what they wear, or I've just never been around people that did.
    Last edited by suedehead; 01-08-2015 at 06:50 AM.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm particular about aesthetics and can be superficially categorical, but it feels pretentious and gross when it's more than a passing thing and I don't like fashion advice. I keep a basic ensemble and I don't care that much about any acknowledgement I get for my sense of style beyond me just looking good in it.
    Last edited by suedehead; 01-08-2015 at 08:07 AM.

TIM
    EIE-Ni 3w4 sx
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

o.O That's interesting. Delta irrationals (+ SEIs) are the types that in my experience & opinion dress the best. The more I spend time on this forum the more I feel that some people here live in a different planet.
    Probably not different planet, just different sense of style

I've never met a Si dom irl that didn't basically look like they're coming from some (underground?) fashion magasines photo shoot.
    SEI's are very good dressers in general, but SLI's look sloppy or like fashion is the last thing on their mind.

IEEs I know don't have classy and harmonous styles like the Si doms, so I can see how someone could dislike their styles, but I personally admire the playfulness and strange combinations (like, 50's housewife + steam punk) my IEE friends do.
    That we agree on. Funny, One of my IEE friends just discovered steam punk fashion and is over the moon about it. The problem is I find styles like 50's housewife and steam punk really unappealing. But I wasn't talking about these stylish IEE's, but more the ones that in a unique stylish attempt put on everything they find in their closet - at the end nothing matches, the colors are uncoordinated and their red-green hair clashes with everything. On top of that they find a small hippy backpack before leaving the house

Basically, I like unique styles and crazy hair when people have style and aren't color-blind and ime IEE's tend to struggle with that. It's adorable, but still ugly : ).

I have Si polrs + ILIs down as the worst dressers, though some EIEs (such as NewbornStar) have a bit of a similar randomness to their style as the IEEs that I like a lot.
    Hmm, most Si polrs I know are dressed pretty conventionally and nothing really stands out (even if some detail is off). ILI's and ILE's are hit or miss.
    To be fair, there are many fashion disasters among all types - Se base can also be highly questionable. You also have to take into consideration that I live in a very fashion-backwards country, so whatever style people try to attempt they mostly end up looking like the 2004 version of it

TIM
    ESI maybe
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm particular about aesthetics and can be superficially categorical, but it feels pretentious and gross when it's more than a passing thing and I don't like fashion advice. I keep a basic ensemble and I don't care that much about any acknowledgement I get for my sense of style beyond me just looking good in it.
    I feel exactly the same way. I dont think it's "gross" but beyond a certain point, worrying about dressing like a fashionista just becomes too much of a chore. That said, i dont mind fashion tips.
    Enneagram: 9w1 6w5 2w3 so/sx

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In reference to the tendency to shrug and withdraw I'd like to note that our father is an SLE-Se. Her reactions to his Se pressure are fascinating. She just flat out ignores his attempts to pressure her. She doesn't feel the need to argue a point with him, just shrugs, says "no" and walks off. It doesn't come off rude, just natural. By contrast Se pressure is almost impossible for me to ignore. My instinct is almost always to comply first, then argue second. I had to learn to temper that response when I was younger and lived at home so that my dad couldn't constantly pressure me into things. She always just did it effortlessly from a very young age. Her and I get on quite well, but there is definitely a distinct element of difference between us. She absolutely will not let you mess with her environment. If you walk into a room with her and say "sit down" she will look at you and do nothing, immune to orders and pressure she doesn't want. I find I am much more physically malleable.

Another distinct difference I have noticed between us is her Ne-seeking. Her best friend is an IEE-Ne. She gets all extra goofy and fun loving around her, it's neat. I by contrast get lightly annoyed by her and tend to want to stay away from her. Too much random free-association in the Ne subtypes for me, can't stay on a single course. Throw some free-association ideas at a suspected SLI, they may suddenly snap up, where ILI's will likely close down or start to investigate the first idea very seriously.
    Interaction styles revolve around many things. Here you can see that your sister isn't moved by the kind of interaction your dad provides. He probably doesn't explain why things need to get done; he probably just demand them to be done. This is the opposite of how IEEs interact with other people. Instead of telling them to do this or do that, they explain why it is necessary to so in the first place (persuasion). IEE (and SEE) have Te HA and strive to do the rational thing. So they don't boss around unless there is a good reason to; and having a good reason it doesn't feel like bossing at all. Maybe that's why you comply so readily to your dad's requests: because a SEE would probably not "boss" you around unless it was for a good reason.

Also, your dad is weak on both Fe and Fi, which IEEs are not. If the SLI rebelled against IEE, and the IEE felt that there is no justified reason for that, then the IEE would probably say nothing and save resent for later. You have no idea the kind of elephant memory IEEs have; do something to them once and they will remember it forever. As punishment they would simply cut you off for a while and THAT would really hurt an SLI. Keep in mind that Fi Ha's hide it, but they are very sensitive to "being dropped" relationally speaking. They do not let people in easily (because they are really sensitive), but once inside, it's pure pain for them to be in bad terms with someone they care for. Also, explosive IEE rage, though rare, is something to kept at a good distance from.

Well, back on topic, I don't think it's hard to tell SLIs from ILIs. SLIs do not really like to stay inside for long, they tend to be "street people". ILIs, on the other side, can be really homebodies. Though there are exceptions of course. My ex is an ILI and likes outdoor skating quite a bit.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast