Quote Originally Posted by Expat
This test has worked well so far although it may need follow-up questions.

1) How do you imagine yourself spending your retirement - assuming you retire in comfortable, but realistic circumstances (unless you're rich anyway)? What would you like to do, and how would you spend your day, where would you prefer to live? Etc.

2) Same question, but suppose you would retire as a very wealthy person. What would you do then? Laze about in Tahiti like Marlon Brando? Devote yourself to flying around the world like Richard Branson? Etc etc.
Only 2) is applicable in my case. I'll be as "retired" at 30 as I'll be at 70. I'll spend my time traveling around to many different areas with Peter (and Travis/any future children, if they're a part of a particular business deal we're going there for or want to see the people we're traveling there to see). Location won't be an issue in spending time with family and friends. Of course, however, we won't fly public airlines. For most of my life I'll have an "upper middle class" house with a large fenced in yard that we'll live in (nothing luxurious), but as time goes by I'll add homes in various "favored" locations of travel. I'll own apartments buildings in all of those areas and turn one or two of the units into a suit that the on site management company will keep up for us in our absence and have ready for us upon our arrival to the area. I anticipate being involved in a couple "causes" to incite change in people's lives. For example, there's a "Future _ of America" club for high schools that I have in mind. I won't know exactly what I'll be doing in that regard until I'm actually there though. I'm hoping to avoid staying out of the public eye as much as possible.