Quote Originally Posted by Sereno View Post
Well, this subtype thing is confusing... I might just be talking about things that are not really true, but it's just a feeling a get between what could be considered two groups of INFjs. I also find what I mentioned to be fulfilling, but that's not really what I want to focus on, and it makes me uneasy. I want to do things that are concrete, as in doing things that affect my environment or myself. It comes naturally to me to have the patience to understand complex ideas and even people, but I try to avoid things like that since they impede me from actually doing something that I can perceive later. It really bothers me when I overthink something, and then see that it was all a waste of time and that I haven't done anything really concrete. Like I can be thinking of someone or something for what I perceive is an extended amount of time, and then try to snap out of it, since I feel it disconnecting me from my surroundings. In short, it's that I constantly try to reduce the depth of my thinking (especially the useless type) and increase the amount of things that I can do to affect my environment.

Here is a vague example: I'm not good at basketball, though I don't "completely" suck at it. Anyway, I was playing with an ISTp and ISFp, and against some other guys I never met. The slap I felt that day was huge... My friends were making fun of how I played, and how I completely overshot the basket, etc. Actually, the whole thing was really funny and we had a good time, but the aftermath of that day made me feel like complete shit for some reason. I was thinking about how I looked like a fool getting blocked by a 4 foot tall guy... It was very embarassing. The point is that after the "incident" I had to go practice for the next encounter, which led some time later to start going to the gym again... I felt like I had to do those things, and if I didn't do it I would feel worthless, which obviously is not true but I guess PoLR hits make you forget important things.
lol, I think you've got something approaching a good description here. In the first paragraph, I have pretty much the opposite tendencies that you do. I definitely do overthink things and wish I did it less, but it's almost automatic. Sure it helps me in the more abstract elements of my thinking (like the search of an over-arching meaning to my life, etc), but I certainly miss out on opportunities to do concrete things with it. Maybe it's because I perceive it to be so useful in many areas of my life that I have such a hard time cutting it out or not carrying it to the extreme.

Also, as different as we seem to be from the first paragraph, the second one sounds like a page right out of my book.