TIM
    SEE
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lalalala
    SEE

Check out my Socionics group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/1546362349012193/

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are most definitely a few. I'll order them by how much they are able to move me:

1)Savatage - Believe
    2)The Cure - Pictures of You
    3)Skid Row - I remember You
    4)R Kelly - If I could turn back the hands of time
    5)Robbie Williams - She's the One
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mustachio

as for Niff, you mean to tell me that you know jazz and know nothing about hiphop?
    don't even try to compare it with jazz. apples and oranges.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by heath

nah really, you are right. Most of rap is bad, and really cheap too. But I dunno, your dad's trashcans are too interesting and I needed a reason to use them in sentence.
    lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niffweed17

as for Niff, you mean to tell me that you know jazz and know nothing about hiphop?
    don't even try to compare it with jazz. apples and oranges.
    you're an ignorant. have you ever heard Jazzmatazz, the Digable Planets, A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, The Pharcyde, The Roots, Mos Def, Common, Nas' first album, not to mention Herbie Hancock? i don't need to compare it to jazz, hiphop has been inspired by it. do you even know jazz and what it's become? your knowledge of hiphop is strictly superficial so your opinion on it is childish and dismissable. as for the state of music today, well i'd say that it isn't only hiphop that's decadent but everything pop. look for genuine artists like Kanye West, Blackstar, Dead Prez, all productions by Dr Dre, Pharell, Missy Elliot and Timbaland (some sounds might remind you of crying babies, frogs and your dad's trash cans).
    IEI - the nasty kind...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

obviously we view the field of jazz very differently. your definition of jazz is clearly different from mine.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finally thought of one:
    Ruby Soho-Rancid

...abandonment
    All Hail The Flying Spaghetti Monster

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

obviously we view the field of jazz very differently. your definition of jazz is clearly different from mine.
    jazz is quite large indeed. i'm curious, what is your definition of it exactly?
    IEI - the nasty kind...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jazz is quite large indeed. i'm curious, what is your definition of it exactly?
    i don't know if i could define it very well. however, much of what is considered contemporary jazz is not jazz at all; it may be rock music or something similar which has incorporated several basic elements of jazz; i.e. contemporary blues or fusion, or similar styles. i do not really consider these to be jazz. what i think of when i think jazz is more what jazz was at its origin.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the late 80's and early 90's a lot of groups including some that i mentioned before incorporated samples of jazz music into their sound. it sounded like jazz with an mc spitting rhymes on it. it was a trend prolly inspired by Spike Lee's movies. it was like the rebirth of jazz in another genre. also, noted jazz musician Herbie Hancock successfully tried his hand at rap music. today, some artists still infuse elements of jazz music in their compositions like the Roots and Mos Def.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHkgE-dCsVk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_ghZ6a17rY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3t7kb2q35GE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAp9cyv47Yc
    IEI - the nasty kind...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

of those four, only the third one sounded even remotely like jazz. to the other three i listened for about a minute and then got bored.

the third in that list clearly incorporates some elements from classical jazz, but the lyrics sound very out of place in classical jazz because the same melody is repeated over and over. while such repetition does occur in jazz, it definitely does not do so to the extent of this piece. furthermore, the bass was walking to the same exact chords over and over, while the instrumental melodies were also the same. essentially, the piece started off interesting but the lack of variations made it very nonmusical IMO. i would agree with you that this obviously is inspired by jazz and incorporates some elements of jazz, but there's no way i would consider it actual jazz.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

classical jazz? what are you a purist? music isn't meant to stale but constantly change thanks to its new owners. it isn't actual jazz, it's blended with hip hop. and your knowledge of jazz is astoundingly small as you can't even recognize it in the other songs. repetition in the melody is a fundamental element in hiphop since it started by sampling other music. the mc serves as an instrument. his lyrics are the solo performance which the listener must focus his attention on. it is the language of the oppressed conveying ideas and images of protest. it is highly influenced by jazzy poets Gwendolyn Brooks, Gil Scott-Heron and Amiri Baraka. like jazz alot of the lyrics are improvised. it isn't set in stone and keeps changing according to pop culture.
    IEI - the nasty kind...

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what i think of when i think jazz is more what jazz was at its origin.
    This is an interesting statement, considering that even jazz historians (yes, there are such people) have a difficult time pinpointing exactly where jazz emerged as a genre, independent of its influences. It's extremely difficult to separate early jazz from the Creole, ragtime, blues, and spiritual musical that eventually made their way into the melting pot that became jazz (and, arguably, all of American popular music). There is no point at which one can definitively separate Jelly roll Morton's freestyle rags from Artie Shaw's freestyle top-40s.

There are actually many (Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, and Wynton Marsalis included - and don't just look them up on Wikipedia, lol; go and read their words, study their "sound" and musical acumen, and listen to their music) who would argue that there never has actually been any clear indication that there was any "standard" sound/protocol/sensibility at any point in the history of this music. In fact, if there has been any prerequisite to effective jazz at all, it is abandon of any attachment to such trappings.

If you listen to any one of Ellington's suite arrangements - take Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker for instance, because I'm fond of it and it's that time of year <- it is obvious the man wasn't working for one standardized sensibility. There's a Cuban influence (Dance of the Sugar-Rum Cherry), swing influence (the Overture), and of course, the Blues influence (Arabesque Cookie). The sound is constantly evolving, constantly shifting by the minute. Not for a second, a moment, minute, month, or year was jazz ever in a static state. From the time of Sidney Bechet to Billie Holiday and down to Ellington. Jazz at the hands of each of these artists sounded completely different.

We can justify ourselves by means of theory, but that sort of theory serves only to explain what occurs in realtime. "Theory" is static. Music is dynamic, as should true theory be.

As per hip-hop, basically if you dislike it, by all means go ahead and listen to what you do like. But don't attempt to use a rudimentary understanding of theory to justify it. The sonic experiments of Cage, Schoenberg, Xenakis, et al, serve the selfsame purpose on different fronts - to OPEN minds, not close them. Taste needs no justification. This is to be mutually understood. Other people's taste needs no justification, either.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

classical jazz? what are you a purist? music isn't meant to stale but constantly change thanks to its new owners. it isn't actual jazz, it's blended with hip hop. and your knowledge of jazz is astoundingly small as you can't even recognize it in the other songs. repetition in the melody is a fundamental element in hiphop since it started by sampling other music. the mc serves as an instrument. his lyrics are the solo performance which the listener must focus his attention on. it is the language of the oppressed conveying ideas and images of protest. it is highly influenced by jazzy poets Gwendolyn Brooks, Gil Scott-Heron and Amiri Baraka. like jazz alot of the lyrics are improvised. it isn't set in stone and keeps changing according to pop culture.
    if jazz does exist in the other songs, it is obscured by their uninteresting nature.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Baby
    what i think of when i think jazz is more what jazz was at its origin.
    This is an interesting statement, considering that even jazz historians (yes, there are such people) have a difficult time pinpointing exactly where jazz emerged as a genre, independent of its influences. It's extremely difficult to separate early jazz from the Creole, ragtime, blues, and spiritual musical that eventually made their way into the melting pot that became jazz (and, arguably, all of American popular music). There is no point at which one can definitively separate Jelly roll Morton's freestyle rags from Artie Shaw's freestyle top-40s.

There are actually many (Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, and Wynton Marsalis included - and don't just look them up on Wikipedia, lol; go and read their words, study their "sound" and musical acumen, and listen to their music) who would argue that there never has actually been any clear indication that there was any "standard" sound/protocol/sensibility at any point in the history of this music. In fact, if there has been any prerequisite to effective jazz at all, it is abandon of any attachment to such trappings.
    i would not necessarily agree completely with all of this, but you have a point. agreed, the creation of jazz is somewhat blurred and was not an immediate phenomenon under any circumstance. despite this, in retrospect, there is unquestionably a style of music known as jazz which, ultimately, differed from other musical styles of the era.

If you listen to any one of Ellington's suite arrangements - take Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker for instance, because I'm fond of it and it's that time of year <- it is obvious the man wasn't working for one standardized sensibility. There's a Cuban influence (Dance of the Sugar-Rum Cherry), swing influence (the Overture), and of course, the Blues influence (Arabesque Cookie). The sound is constantly evolving, constantly shifting by the minute. Not for a second, a moment, minute, month, or year was jazz ever in a static state. From the time of Sidney Bechet to Billie Holiday and down to Ellington. Jazz at the hands of each of these artists sounded completely different.

We can justify ourselves by means of theory, but that sort of theory serves only to explain what occurs in realtime. "Theory" is static. Music is dynamic, as should true theory be.

As per hip-hop, basically if you dislike it, by all means go ahead and listen to what you do like. But don't attempt to use a rudimentary understanding of theory to justify it. The sonic experiments of Cage, Schoenberg, Xenakis, et al, serve the selfsame purpose on different fronts - to OPEN minds, not close them. Taste needs no justification. This is to be mutually understood. Other people's taste needs no justification, either.
    i agree with all of this. however, one thing that you are not really touching on is the gradual differences that are present in the musical styles. indeed, i find jazz musically enriching and the tecniques it developed from other sources that you mention to be interesting.

many of the things that jazz has evolved into, such as hip-hop, to an extent, i fail to find interesting. to the extent that components of jazz are used in these types of music, they are used to supplement the existing, uninteresting music. the mere use of these components does not necessarily indicate that the new piece will be interesting or entertaining just because what it resulted from was.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't care what you like and what you dislike. but when somebody's opinion is biased by their gross ignorance and musical snot it just makes me think less of them.
    IEI - the nasty kind...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emotional songs? No contest.

By far the most emotional song I've ever heard is Immortal Technique's Dancing wid the Devil (I'm not kidding, if you have a weak stomach then don't listen to this song).
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vague
    Rocky's posts are as enjoyable as having wisdom teeth removed.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't care what you like and what you dislike. but when somebody's opinion is biased by their gross ignorance and musical snot it just makes me think less of them.
    similarly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ugh. i can say with perfect honesty that i absolutely detest this awful genre.

almost worse than rap.
    You don't even know what rap is I bet.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Exits, pursued by a bear. Animal's Avatar
    TIM
    It sneaks up on you
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would not necessarily agree completely with all of this, but you have a point. agreed, the creation of jazz is somewhat blurred and was not an immediate phenomenon under any circumstance. despite this, in retrospect, there is unquestionably a style of music known as jazz which, ultimately, differed from other musical styles of the era.
    I agree. But, is it possible to pinpoint where that music known as jazz ends and other music begins? I don't think it is. In retrospect, what we label today as "jazz" is a mass of considerably disparate musics.

i agree with all of this. however, one thing that you are not really touching on is the gradual differences that are present in the musical styles.
    I agree that the manifestations of the different influences introduced gradual shifts and differences, but those differences were not universal across the field of what we today call jazz. Ellington influenced by samba is different from Armstrong influenced by the same music.

many of the things that jazz has evolved into, such as hip-hop, to an extent, i fail to find interesting.
    And I think this is where we should end it. This is music you, personally, fail to find interesting. There is not really any theoretical justification, inherent in the music, that suggests hip-hop is quantifiably less "interesting" than jazz. Whatever tickles your cochleas.
    "How could we forget those ancient myths that stand at the beginning of all races, the myths about dragons that at the last moment are transformed into princesses? Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
    -- Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky

By far the most emotional song I've ever heard is Immortal Technique's Dancing wid the Devil (I'm not kidding, if you have a weak stomach then don't listen to this song).
    SUCH a good song. But I'm looking for more like...songs that you personally relate to, or that remind you of a certain period in your life, etc...

Oh, and let's cut the bullshit, Niffweed and mustachio. Take it to PM if you have to.
    But, for a certainty, back then,
    We loved so many, yet hated so much,
    We hurt others and were hurt ourselves...

Yet even then, we ran like the wind,
    Whilst our laughter echoed,
    Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's just insulting to find a person who tries to prove the inferiority of a genre he has absolutely no knowledge of. he doesn't even take the time to listen to it and calls it rubbish because he thinks it's boring. because he hates it, he calls it non-musical or whatever. my father is a classical musician but that doesn't make me the judge of any music. although i know hiphop, and any person who has some knowledge of jazz should see the similarities by the examples i gave.
    IEI - the nasty kind...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you are either demonstrating your lack of knowledge of jazz, hiphop, or both.

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

lol@niffweed stepping on his own dick itt

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

options

lyrics

turn your volume waaay down before listening

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you are either demonstrating your lack of knowledge of jazz, hiphop, or both.
    Pot calling Kettle... come in Kettle...

For some reason I believe you both "may" know a lot about different music, I'm not one to argue that, but...
    Tis a pretty retarded argument to say one knows more of a certain type of music than someone else, when the views of each different type of music are so very opposite of eachother.

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take the fucking music debate somewhere else, or I'm asking Expat to close the thread.

Christ.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan
    Take the fucking music debate somewhere else, or I'm asking Expat to close the thread.

Christ.
    says the guy who gets into rather long arguments about type in quite a few threads, on topic or not...lol
    j/k btw... :wink:

TIM
    3w4 sx/so
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also tend to move on to a different/new thread/pm when asked.

Under cerulean skies...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jeez, gilligan, what's the big deal?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, moving on ...

one song that always gets to me is Wu-Tang Clan+Raekwon's "Can It Be...":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUIZIbbeD3U

meant for the non-music lovers!
    IEI - the nasty kind...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I shall believe, Sheryl Crow My semi-duality anthem. Oh the heartbreak.

Also, whenever I hear Cindy Lauper's, "Time after Time" and "True Colors," I'm reminded of the lonely times of my youth. I usually turn the station.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The partisan, by...LEonard Cohen.

I can't find it on youtube.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The Partisan"

When they poured across the border
    I was cautioned to surrender,
    this I could not do;
    I took my gun and vanished.
    I have changed my name so often,
    I've lost my wife and children
    but I have many friends,
    and some of them are with me.

An old woman gave us shelter,
    kept us hidden in the garret,
    then the soldiers came;
    she died without a whisper.

There were three of us this morning
    I'm the only one this evening
    but I must go on;
    the frontiers are my prison.

Oh, the wind, the wind is blowing,
    through the graves the wind is blowing,
    freedom soon will come;
    then we'll come from the shadows.

Les Allemands e'taient chez moi, (The Germans were at my home)
    ils me dirent, "Signe toi," (They said, "Sign yourself,")
    mais je n'ai pas peur; (But I am not afraid)
    j'ai repris mon arme. (I have retaken my weapon.)

J'ai change' cent fois de nom, (I have changed names a hundred times)
    j'ai perdu femme et enfants (I have lost wife and children)
    mais j'ai tant d'amis; (But I have so many friends)
    j'ai la France entie`re. (I have all of France)

Un vieil homme dans un grenier (An old man, in an attic)
    pour la nuit nous a cache', (Hid us for the night)
    les Allemands l'ont pris; (The Germans captured him)
    il est mort sans surprise. (He died without surprise.)

Oh, the wind, the wind is blowing,
    through the graves the wind is blowing,
    freedom soon will come;
    then we'll come from the shadows.
    Well I am back. How's everyone? Don't have as much time now, but glad to see some of the old gang are still here.

TIM
    ILI
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creepy-bg

highschool before I found the Grateful Dead and peace...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EhYcb1eW1o

Creepy-bg

But I'm looking for more like...songs that you personally relate to, or that remind you of a certain period in your life, etc...

The Story of my Life

What I got

Pepper

totally brings me back to when I was in my early 20s, just dropped out of college, getting drunk, stoned, and spun, no job, no prospects and these cds on endless replay... almost makes me burst over with emotion

but then it's more about how it connects me to those times than what the songs themselves say... well sorta... they all reflect my mindset at the time (and still in some ways )

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky

SUCH a good song. But I'm looking for more like...songs that you personally relate to, or that remind you of a certain period in your life, etc...

Oh, and let's cut the bullshit, Niffweed and mustachio. Take it to PM if you have to.
    Well, since I've never raped and killed my mother, I'd have to say that one song that has personal meaning to me is Almost by Bowling for soup. Don't ask.
    MAYBE I'LL BREAK DOWN!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The song at the end of garden state, Let Go... and Cascada's song "cuz every time we touch i get this feeeling, and every time we kiss i want to fly, bla bla bla bla i wont let you go, sooomething something something"
    -Slava

What a great replacement for a nany

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Björk's Joga

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast