TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default the united states and uk have attacked yemen

in a not so new turn of clearly economically motivated events:

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-britain-carry-out-strikes-against-houthis-yemen-officials-2024-01-11/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/yemen

well here we go again... thoughts, analyses?

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

a timeline on yemen 1990 - present: https://arabcenterdc.org/resource/a-...o-the-present/

TIM
    SLE-C (ISTP)
    Mentioned
    247 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obviously they had it coming by attacking commercial ships.

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, nothing unexpected, although I wouldn't say they are striking Yemen but rather a specific part of a geographical entity called Yemen where the state of Yemen has no control. I don't even know what else they could have done. It's basically damage control.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ENTj
    Mentioned
    245 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I actually fear is, what's the next step of Iran and its shadow ally Saudi Arabia? This could be quite dire for Europe...we still depend too much on commerce from the far east, if the supply chains get disrupted it could mean that in 6 months we're going to be militarily less strong and it's not exactly the best time to be militarily weaker.
    Obsequium amicos, veritas odium parit

TIM
    ExFx 3 sx
    Mentioned
    720 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    What I actually fear is, what's the next step of Iran and its shadow ally Saudi Arabia? This could be quite dire for Europe...we still depend too much on commerce from the far east, if the supply chains get disrupted it could mean that in 6 months we're going to be militarily less strong and it's not exactly the best time to be militarily weaker.
    Iran? Russia's buddy?

You know that Russia is doing good now and they will be going deeper into Europe in the coming ~2 yrs... China is gonna give them a push. Ukraine is running out of money, russians are building war factories.

Trump might help a bit but still

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rizz View Post
    Iran? Russia's buddy?

You know that Russia is doing good now and they will be going deeper into Europe in the coming ~2 yrs... China is gonna give them a push. Ukraine is running out of money, russians are building war factories.

Trump might help a bit but still
    Russian support for war mongering is centralized on the aging boomer, and gen x demographics. The younger generations do not support Putin, do not support war with European countries. Unfortunately for the current ruling class, and the older generations, mostly centralized in the rural Russian areas, there will not be much war mongering going on, there is barely enough now for Ukraine. The boomers are aging out and taking their old world sentiments with them by and large.

Contrary to what many people believe, including the weird messages coming from Net Work News media, Americans don't really care about Russia what-so-ever. Most are just preoccupied with their owns lives in the USA. Support for any type of hostilities towards Russia is negligible. People just care about how expensive goods and services are becoming, and other domestic issues.

Russia is on pretty much nobodies radar. Another thing is Vladimer Putin is 71 years old. Granted he could fuck up the entire world in like 10 years, but I doubt he will. He's just to fucking old to be starting large scale open battle war. By the time people hit 81, their physical health becomes a overwhelming priority.

To much fear being brainwashed into people's minds by the media, state departments, over nothing burgers. There is a point Putin will not cross because why would he start a War with Nato and the USA? That ends badly for everybody. Mutually assured destruction is the whole point of Nuclear powers.

I think Russians could probably do a lot better in life if they stopped blaming boogy men, like this mythical USA they have made up in theirs collective mind's eye, and just started dealing with their own problems themselves. If life sucks in Russia, maybe look in a mirror, the plank in one's own eye first.

America has major issues internal issues going on right now, but let's be real, so does Russia, they just paint over everything being good with that BETA quadra, "it is what is is and how could it be different"

Russia is run by a virtual Tsar, and people are to scared, in denial, fearful of legitimate state terrorism against its own citizens, to do anything about it and change it. Its like some bizarre alternate Universe where you are not free to say and do anything negative, in public, towards the Supreme Leader. yikes.

no wonder Russian leadership is friends with psychopathic, axe to grind, Cult leaders in North Korea. Neurons that fire together wire together.
    Last edited by timber; 01-13-2024 at 06:08 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell me more? What's your job? Where do you live?

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chae View Post
    This seems utterly trivial to me, it just seems like the USA and the UK firing missiles to defend international trade from some clueless savages with sticks. The Houthi terrorists want to a) attack the Jews, because the Houthis are antisemitic terrorists who hate "the Jews" more than they hate the Saudis (who have blockaded them for years along with much of the general Yemeni population) and b) provoke the USA to attack them in order to get Iran more involved against Saudi Arabia (the Iranians and the Saudis are long-term enemies, in large part because of religious differences (Shia vs. Sunni).

I get the impression from the limited news I've seen that the USA and the UK have destroyed more Houthi infrastructure in a day than the Saudia have in several years (or have be more effective in their selection of targets in a short timeframe), which doesn't give me a high opinion of Saudi military capabilities.

The Iranians weren't able to bring themselves to support Hamas and Hezbollah against Israel after Hamas' terrorist attacks against "the Jews" over the last few months, so I seriously doubt they're going to do any direct military intervention against the USA and "the Jews" etc.: they'll stick to supplying Hamas, Hezbollah, the Houthis etc. with million dollar missiles instead of caring for Palestinian, Yemeni, or Israeli civilians etc., continue to be pirates, arresting innocent foreign civilians to use as bargaining chips, while continuing to suppress their own population.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by timber View Post
    Russia is on pretty much nobodies radar. Another thing is Vladimer Putin is 71 years old. Granted he could fuck up the entire world in like 10 years, but I doubt he will. He's just to fucking old to be starting large scale open battle war. By the time people hit 81, their physical health becomes a overwhelming priority.
    Devil's advocate, Putin dying doesn't necessarily mean someone more pro-west will replace him. Putin originally desired friendly relations with West early on in his presidency and could be considered moderate compared to others. Medvedev for instance openly and unapologetically talks about how Russia can erase the UK from the map, which is language that Putin generally avoids. The whole thing with Prigozhin too was about him being pissed that he wasn't being supported enough, not about him being against the Ukraine war.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where do you guys get these insane ideas from? Putin wanted friendly relations with the West...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rizz View Post
    Where do you guys get these insane ideas from? Putin wanted friendly relations with the West...
    He wanted to join NATO in the early 2000's, under favorable terms of course. The United States however was worried that it would lead to Russia influencing NATO given their more convenient trade proximity with Europe and usurp leadership away from the United States. Why bother with the whole Nordstream thing otherwise?

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the united states and uk have attacked yemen

well here we go again... thoughts, analyses?
    It won't work.