Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How the meeting with space invaders would go in real life as of 2023:

To Serve Man
    : It's a cookbook!
    Orientalism: It's an academic book telling us to stop Othering the poor edible humans when they're the ones who literally called us "Other" in Latin to begin with!

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greetings, humans. Intergalactic persecution has forced us to establish a homeland on your planet. An intergalactic convention led by the Galactic Empire has decided upon this planet, since the Overmind promised it to us hundreds of millions of years ago back when only the ancestor of your species occupied it. You should know us from your documents of your prehistory and the encounters we had back then, when this was the promised planet for us in our texts. Fear not, for the Galactic Empire has deemed this necessary.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1580 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I think luckily the timing isn't right - Iran probably doesn't have a significant nuclear weapon capability, if it has one at all, and I doubt Russia could fire nukes to Israel without destroying their own country.
    @Subteigh, I laughed out loud when I read the bolded part. Yes, I think that Russia's last few missile launches did not go well.

But even if a Russian missile did make it out of the silo and onto the adjoining fields, I doubt if the nuclear warhead would explode. Nuclear weapons need tritium to work, and Tritium has a half-life of eight years and must be (very expensively) renewed every once in a while.

What would you bet that the Tritium distributors sold off some of that stuff that was destined for Russian missiles, maybe to Iran, or to North Korea, for a ton of money? Think that's a possibility? I mean, who would know, and that dacha isn't going to build itself.

I'm just speculating, based on the fact that you can find Russian military uniforms in the local thrift stores, while the guys on the base go without. Plus the fact that you can buy Russian military optics on ebay. Which I did. Fairly high quality for a very low price.
    Last edited by Adam Strange; 10-11-2023 at 04:05 PM.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1580 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudomorph View Post
    Greetings, humans. Intergalactic persecution has forced us to establish a homeland on your planet. An intergalactic convention led by the Galactic Empire has decided upon this planet, since the Overmind promised it to us hundreds of millions of years ago back when only the ancestor of your species occupied it. You should know us from your documents of your prehistory and the encounters we had back then, when this was the promised planet for us in our texts. Fear not, for the Galactic Empire has deemed this necessary.
    Welcome, Galactic Empire members bent on conquest. We welcome our new insect overlords.

However, we should warn you that your attempt at conquest will be in vain. Since you have obviously discovered the16types.info website, you are already doomed to a life of pained distraction and increasing stasis, while we, in the meantime, will steal your spaceships and go joy-riding around. Probably we'll crash a few, just for the hell of it.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Welcome, Galactic Empire members bent on conquest. We welcome our new insect overlords.

However, we should warn you that your attempt at conquest will be in vain. Since you have obviously discovered the16types.info website, you are already doomed to a life of pained distraction and increasing stasis, while we, in the meantime, will steal your spaceships and go joy-riding around. Probably we'll crash a few, just for the hell of it.
    No no, this is in reference to Galactic Mandatory Earth being settled by a minority, not the Galactic Empire administration itself, though these two might be considered largely equivalent in some cases.

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1580 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

No no, this is in reference to Galactic Mandatory Earth being settled by a minority, not the Galactic Empire administration itself, though these two might be considered largely equivalent in some cases.
    Let them all come. McDonalds is having a hard time finding workers.

Everyone thinks they will be conquerors when they arrive in a new place, but most just end up invigorating the Bloorp vats.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

@Subteigh, I laughed out loud when I read the bolded part. Yes, I think that Russia's last few missile launches did not go well.

But even if a Russian missile did make it out of the silo and onto the adjoining fields, I doubt if the nuclear warhead would explode. Nuclear weapons need tritium to work, and Tritium has a half-life of eight years and must be (very expensively) renewed every once in a while.

What would you bet that the Tritium distributors sold off some of that stuff that was destined for Russian missiles, maybe to Iran, or to North Korea, for a ton of money? Think that's a possibility? I mean, who would know, and that dacha isn't going to build itself.

I'm just speculating, based on the fact that you can find Russian military uniforms in the local thrift stores, while the guys on the base go without. Plus the fact that you can buy Russian military optics on ebay. Which I did. Fairly high quality for a very low price.
    I did intend my remark to be interpreted that way, but I mostly meant that Russia's nuclear threats shouldn't be taken seriously, because the Russian military knows that if they actually did fire nukes, Moscow and Saint Petersburg would be destroyed within the hour in retaliatory strikes and that would be the end of Russia. They're certainly not going to be firing nukes on the pretense of defending Palestinians.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

I hope to await to a moment when in UN will be used the term "war criminals" against current Israel officials.
    And mb against those who helps them to do intentional mass killing of civilians. Alike against USA, - Israel's master.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

The biggest problem with the idea of nuking Israel for people who just hate Zionism full stop is that nuking Israel to save Palestine is like nuking Queens to save Brooklyn.
    Russia would only nuke Israel to get at the Americans, they don't care about Palestinians or non-Russians generally (look at how they treat ethnic minorities in Russia who actually are Russian). That's true of the Iranian government also: see how they treat their own people.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by necrosebud View Post
    idk if people would be thinking about this though when the land that has been theirs and their ancestors (for 100s - 1000s, idk the history tbh) is suddenly taken from them, they are declared noncitizens in their own land, forced out of their homes, lose everything in that sense except perhaps their relationships and also their lives should they choose to migrate to another country. The british are responsible for this are they not (converting palestine to israel)? from what I understand. And no one talks about it... I mean it makes sense to me that it is experienced as genuinely unfair, and I don't disagree with that sentiment

im ofc not condoning 'islamic' sociopathic militancy I tend to see, say with this group Hamas, and ISIS etc.
    The Muslims and Jews both think they have a god-given right to the land, which unfortunately makes peace a lot more difficult, because religion is inherently irrational.

The Ottomans and earlier Muslim regimes didn't grant Palestinians autonomy in all the centuries they occupied the land after "stealing" it from the Roman Empire (as the Byzantines consider themselves), who themselves "stole" it from the Jews. And early peoples had the land before that too. Don't blame the British solely, especially for the mere few years they held it after taking it from the Ottomans. The 1947 partition would have seen the creation of not just an israeli state, but a Palestinian state too, as well as an UN protectorate for the city of Jerusalem. The Arabs refused this, before declaring war in 1948. They only have themselves to blame.

The Egyptians occupied the Gaza Strip during this war, and the Jordanians occupied the West Bank, which they did until the Arabs were defeated in the war of 1967. The Egyptians and the Jordanians could have given autonomy to the Palestinians, but they did not. Yet somehow it's always the Israelis who the Palestinians blame.

People thought that there's never be peace between the Catholics and the Protestants in Ireland, but now there is, so I'm hopeful that there can be peace between the Palestinians and the Israelis too.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    537 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let them all come. McDonalds is having a hard time finding workers.
    McDonalds is having a hard time paying workers, which is not the same thing. But sure, what this country needs is more immigrants to keep servants' wages low so McDonalds can remain allegedly cheap so that people can keep buying corn and soy products that are already subsidized by the government, so that people can get fat and depressed and buy drugs and healthcare to fix the problems caused by eating corn and soy. Otherwise the "economy" would suffer and that would be bad for people.
    Last edited by FreelancePoliceman; 10-11-2023 at 09:03 PM.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    537 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Egyptians occupied the Gaza Strip during this war, and the Jordanians occupied the West Bank, which they did until the Arabs were defeated in the war of 1967. The Egyptians and the Jordanians could have given autonomy to the Palestinians, but they did not. Yet somehow it's always the Israelis who the Palestinians blame.
    Jews didn't get autonomy anywhere in Europe, but for some reason they blamed the Germans for the Holocaust. Can't imagine why.

As Ariel Sharon said: "It is the duty of Israeli leaders to explain to public opinion, clearly and courageously, a certain number of facts that are forgotten with time. The first of these is that there is no Zionism, colonialization, or Jewish State without the eviction of the Arabs and the expropriation of their lands."

Moshe Sharett: "As for the future, we are equally determined to explore all possibilities of getting rid, once and for all, of the huge Arab minority."

The Israelis' intention is genocide, and this attack is a pretext for it. Most Palestinians did not vote for Hamas, and in fact their last elections were held in 2006. But because the gangsters who took control of the open-air prison camp that is Gaza killed a few people, people like you will cheer as the entire population of Gaza, most of which is < 18, is wiped out. And then everyone is going to have to suffer through endless speeches and university classes and books on "why did people let the Holocaust happen."

If killing entire nations for the crimes of its leaders is fine now, let's at least start with nuking pedo island.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    McDonalds is having a hard time paying workers, which is not the same thing. But sure, what this country needs is more immigrants to keep servants' wages low so McDonalds can remain allegedly cheap so that people can keep buying corn and soy products that are already subsidized by the government, so that people can get fat and depressed and buy drugs and healthcare to fix the problems caused by eating corn and soy.
    ...This is a very serious reply to Adam's reply to my satirical space about the Galactic British Empire turning Earth into Space Palestine. Of course, Adam didn't get it if his first parallel was that Space Israelis colonizing Earth would work at McDonald's rather than possibly try to genocide us if we're the Space Palestinians. And at this point in history, we would Space Palestinians, not even Space Americans or anything like that.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FreelancePoliceman View Post
    Jews didn't get autonomy anywhere in Europe, but for some reason they blamed the Germans for the Holocaust. Can't imagine why.

As Ariel Sharon said: "It is the duty of Israeli leaders to explain to public opinion, clearly and courageously, a certain number of facts that are forgotten with time. The first of these is that there is no Zionism, colonialization, or Jewish State without the eviction of the Arabs and the expropriation of their lands."

Moshe Sharett: "As for the future, we are equally determined to explore all possibilities of getting rid, once and for all, of the huge Arab minority."

The Israelis' intention is genocide, and this attack is a pretext for it. Most Palestinians did not vote for Hamas, and in fact their last elections were held in 2006. But because the gangsters who took control of the open-air prison camp that is Gaza killed a few people, people like you will cheer as the entire population of Gaza, most of which is < 18, is wiped out. And then everyone is going to have to suffer through endless speeches and university classes and books on "why did people let the Holocaust happen."

If killing entire nations for the crimes of its leaders is fine now, let's at least start with nuking pedo island.
    It was Hamas that attacked civilian targets en masse in Israel, not the other way round.

I don't want innocent civilians to be killed anywhere.

Most people didn't vote for Likud, but you're treating Israelis as all the same, and not only that, saying that they want genocide when I don't think there's any evidence of that.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was Hamas that attacked civilian targets en masse in Israel, not the other way round.

Most people didn't vote for Likud, but you're treating Israelis as all the same, and not only that, saying that they want genocide when I don't think there's any evidence of that.
    Subteigh, you literally quoted the evidence. Sure, it's not all Israelis, just the ones with the agency to decide who lives and dies in Israel. Even if it's a tiny minority of Israelis it's a real plan. It's not helped by the popularity of Islamophobic/anti-Arab sentiment (not necessarily strictly "being afraid of Islam" so much as negative reactions to anything even tangentially associated, like Arabs, same as Antisemitism doesn't mean a general opposition to anything Semitic, it means basically Jewish-phobia.)

Additionally, the people you're arguing with are not defending Hamas. Hamas is even worse for Palestine than Israel is, because at least without Hamas they would be getting lots of international support. However, Hamas being terrorists aside, it's fully legally permitted in reasonable places to defend yourself by attacking someone first if you have a good reason to think you're in danger.

Self-Defense Law: Overview - FindLaw

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    537 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Complete hypocrisy. Israel has been killing unarmed Palestinians, including children, for decades. The casualties of Israel's attacks have been much higher, but Hamas commits one event like this and suddenly all Palestinians are animals who should be put down.

What most Israelis want aside, I was talking about their government, and the "evidence" for that, besides the quotes I mentioned, is that Gazans live in an open-air cage that's currently being bombed, with no means of escape.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    537 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

However, Hamas being terrorists aside, it's fully legally permitted in reasonable places to defend yourself by attacking someone first if you have a good reason to think you're in danger.

The attacks on civilians weren't self-defense. My point is that no matter what Hamas did it doesn't justify genocide.

TIM
    LII-Ne
    Mentioned
    537 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hamas' attack on Israel looks like it must have involved hundreds, if not thousands, of people, months of planning, and the import of huge amounts of weapons and materials.

Hamas is said to be one of the most infiltrated (by Israeli intelligence) organizations in the world.

How could Israeli intelligence miss this?

By pure coincidence, the right-wing Prime Minister of Israel, Benjamin Netanyahu, is in deep political trouble with Israel's judiciary and police. My ILE friend in Israel said last week (before the Hamas attacks) that he thinks Netanyahu is going to jail.

I don't want to say that Netanyahu did a Putin, whose popularity rose in 1999 after "someone" (read that as "Putin") bombed a series of apartment buildings in Russia, but to me, it looks bad.
    I meant to post this earlier, but as some historical context:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavon_Affair

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Liberty_incident

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/King..._Hotel_bombing

Israel has a long history of false flag operations.

TIM
    LII-C
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant: "I have ordered a complete siege on the Gaza Strip. There will be no electricity, no food, no fuel, everything is closed. We are fighting human animals and we act accordingly."

this doesn't exactly sound like a logical, level-headed statement to me. there seems to be a lot of ideology involved when it comes to western responses to the attack, disregarding the potential motivation that could be behind it.
    Quote Originally Posted by idiot View Post
    I have been thinking about what Alive was saying about everyone on here being IEI, and I conclude that he is right, or at least he is on to something.

If Jung based his theories on the people he met in his life, even if he met more people than the average person, that means that he based his theories on a certain type of person. The type of person who might go to him for therapy or talks, or who might believe the esoteric ideas he was spouting at the time. Thus it's possible that he did not categorize all humans into types, but just made subtypes for a specific type of person. This overarching type of person is the same type that is heavily interested in theories of this kind, and whom Alive says is an IEI.

Therefore, Alive is right. We are all IEIs with subtypes. With that, I'm off this forum
    https://www.the16types.info/vbulleti...ung-s-subjects

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Subteigh, you literally quoted the evidence. Sure, it's not all Israelis, just the ones with the agency to decide who lives and dies in Israel. Even if it's a tiny minority of Israelis it's a real plan. It's not helped by the popularity of Islamophobic/anti-Arab sentiment (not necessarily strictly "being afraid of Islam" so much as negative reactions to anything even tangentially associated, like Arabs, same as Antisemitism doesn't mean a general opposition to anything Semitic, it means basically Jewish-phobia.)

Additionally, the people you're arguing with are not defending Hamas. Hamas is even worse for Palestine than Israel is, because at least without Hamas they would be getting lots of international support. However, Hamas being terrorists aside, it's fully legally permitted in reasonable places to defend yourself by attacking someone first if you have a good reason to think you're in danger.

Most Israelis and Palestinians 10 years ago thought that Israeli and Palestinian states could exist together peacefully. It has reduced in recent years. But the proportion of people in favour of Israel and Palestine existing together is likely higher. https://baptistnews.com/article/two-...ael-and-hamas/

In the past, a majority of Muslims in some Muslim countries thought that suicide attacks against civilian targets was acceptable. I think this is likely to be much reduced, and there is also polling that shows that Muslims want to have democracies in their countries.

So I don't think "the Israelis" want a genocide of Palestinians. And the reality is very much that Arabs and Muslims living in Israel have more rights than Arabs and Muslims typically do in Arab and Muslim countries. They can serve in the army even, yet I'm supposed to believe that the Israelis want a genocide of Arabs. In many Muslim countries, include in the Palestinian territories, they throw homosexuals off buildings. In Israel, they can serve in the army.

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2...-muslim-world/

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2...in-middle-east

I very much hate the blockade of Gaza by Egypt and Israel, and I also hate the deliberate large scale targeting of civilians by Hamas. I hate the indiscriminate shooting into crowds of people by the IDF too, but I don't think that's a deliberate large scale policy mandated from the top.

I also hate people who go on about Israel and Palestine all the time ostentatiously because they care about Muslims being killed, even though they never go on about Muslims killing other Muslims in other places that have often killed many more people in the last ten years than have been killed in the Arab-Israeli conflict in 75 years, or about other incidents involving non-Muslims of an even larger scale. I also hate those who support Israel no matter what, often because they're evangelical Christians.

If someone goes on about Muslims being killed in the Palestine-Israel conflict, but never go on about a greater number of Muslims being killed elsewhere, I tend to assume they're consciously or unconsciously antisemitic, and don't especially care about Palestinians being killed. And if someone signs an university petition against Israeli apartheid or goes on a socialist parade with images of Stalin along with Palestinian flags, but says less or nothing about what China is doing to Muslims in China etc., then I'm certainly not going to consider them sincere. And similarly with people who only care about Israeli deaths, or who are in favour of welcoming Ukrainian refugees while their nation suffers a war, but who want Afghani and Yemeni asylum seekers to be sent home.

I have seen people in the past in the UK drive around with Palestinian flags out of their car window for a few days or so, after some latest incident between Israel and Palestine, and regularly in the news. I think their only tenuous affiliation is that they were Muslim. I don't see people doing this showing support for Syrians, Yemenis, Afghanis, Iraqis, Somalis, Nigerians etc., even when more Muslims were being killed on those occasions.

I get that people all have their own biases, but that sort of thing happens invariably with Palestine, but not with any other Muslim country/territory. My reading is that it's an in-group performance behaviour, that somewhat stems from centuries of antisemitism, as well as dissatisfaction with "the West"/"the USA" etc. for whatever reasons (perhaps due to a feeling of powerlessness). I don't think these people especially care about the plight of Palestinians, and certainly wouldn't want to live in a Muslim authoritarian regime where they have no autonomy whatsoever.

I only hope that the Israelis and the Palestinians can come to some permanent peace deal soon, and that the international community throws as much effort into helping to being this about as they did in Ireland. I don't think the Palestinians will have as favourable a deal as the one the Arabs rejected in 1947 before waging war to try and remove Israel from the map, but I do think that any deal will significantly increase their prosperity and autonomy while also bringing about peace.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I don't think "the Israelis" want a genocide of Palestinians. And the reality is very much that Arabs and Muslims living in Israel have more rights than Arabs and Muslims typically do in Arab and Muslim countries. They can serve in the army even, yet I'm supposed to believe that the Israelis want a genocide of Arabs. In many Muslim countries, include in the Palestinian territories, they throw homosexuals off buildings. In Israel, they can serve in the army.
    In America, black people can buy houses in the same neighborhoods as white people!

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

I'm not sure what relevance that has to do with the modern day. I don't like the Israeli government. I just think that Hamas need to stop waging war against civilians. They're supported by Iran and perhaps other countries, and they want to wipe Israel off the map, rather than see Palestine and Israel peacefully co-existing.

Iran should smuggle in food rather than missiles.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

There are some awful verses in both the Jewish and Islamic "holy" books, so I hope also that people of such religions can abandon them and denounce violence against civilians and terrorism generally.

"When your Lord revealed to the angels: I am with you, therefore make firm those who believe. I will cast terror into the hearts of those who disbelieve. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them." Qur'an 8:19

"And they entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and with all their soul, but that whoever would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, should be put to death, whether young or old, man or woman. " - 2 Chronicles 15:12-13

TIM
    694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder how far back in time do we have to go to determine who was the first people who "owned" the Southern Levant. I declare that those who first cultivated the land in that region and tame animals are its rightful owners. It would then be logical for their heirs to claim it, right ? Actually it doesn't make any anthropological sense (not to mention the genetic mix mess we would have to trace back) !

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1580 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

An interesting thread on proportional response in war:

https://nitter.net/JayNDonde/status/...581821301249#m

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Jay Donde
    @JayNDonde
    Oct 10
    This has changed a bit in the last couple decades, with many sayeret recruits now coming from the religious nationalist and Russian immigrant communities, but it still largely holds true amongst the pilot and officer corps. 13/x'

...The religious nationalists (who are also often Russians with weird religious identifications like Eastern Orthodox/Hindu) are all I see, though...

'Jay Donde
    @JayNDonde
    Oct 10
    For example, there have been multiple protests -- some internal and some made public -- by both active duty and reservist soldiers in IAF and sayeret units against what they saw as illegal or immoral Israeli policies toward the Palestinians. 16/x
    Jay Donde
    @JayNDonde
    Oct 10
    This is why I always find claims of "Israeli commando death squads" and the like so laughable. The people making those claims have based their entire conceptualization of special forces soldiers around John J. Rambo. Sorry to disappoint y'all. First Blood was just a movie. 17/x
    Jay Donde
    @JayNDonde
    Oct 10
    I don't blame folks for falling for these claims, of course. Liberal Americans' heads would probably explode if they opened the NYT website one morning to the headline "Delta Force operators refuse to deploy in protest of administration policy towards Iraqi civilians." 18/x'

...Yes, and there are going to be gradually more immoral policies carried out if the Intelligentsia Defense Force keeps getting replaced by religious nationalists. That's probably what we're seeing now. This guy has found two and two, he needs to put them together to see four already.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Israel have begun attacks on important Syria's objects. The explanation was in some rockets flew from Syria territory, but who fired them "does not matter" (most possibly the provocation by Israel/USA itself). The return attack from Israel army is imbalanced, besides being directed against official Syria without direct basis.
    The situation develops as I supposed still. Genocide against civils in Gaza region of Palestina is a part of Palestina's whole territory occupation and better control. And beginning the war on territories of Lebanon and Syria to help tasks of USA there. When Russians are distracted and have lesser possibility to help them.

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sol View Post
    Israel have begun attacks on important Syria's objects. The explanation was in some rockets flew from Syria territory, but who fired them "does not matter" (most possibly the provocation by Israel/USA itself). The return attack from Israel army is imbalanced, besides being directed against official Syria without direct basis.
    The situation develops as I supposed still. Genocide against civils in Gaza region of Palestina is a part of Palestina's whole territory occupation and better control. And beginning the war on territories of Lebanon and Syria to help tasks of USA there. When Russians are distracted and have lesser possibility to help them.
    Or how about russia being on the losing side, attempts to divert NATO and western resources by encouraging this attack as well as blowing up the estonia-finland gas pipeline.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Thanks, that was informative.

An article about the Israeli drive to increase the number of Arabs in the IDF: DF – ‘Our Mission is to Enlist as Many Israeli Arabs as we can’. If their mission is to kill as many Arabs as they can, their desire to have more of Arab Israelis in their army would seem paradoxical.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, that was informative.

An article about the Israeli drive to increase the number of Arabs in the IDF: DF – ‘Our Mission is to Enlist as Many Israeli Arabs as we can’. If their mission is to kill as many Arabs as they can, their desire to have more of Arab Israelis in their army would seem paradoxical.
    This is just a facade that Israel is trying to export to the world, as the " good and innocent party in the story "

Also, someone who wants to exterminate a group/race etc will certainly not mind the extermination being carried out by members of the group itself , this method is sometimes used in other forms: for example : inciting people against each other's / against their governments and supporting them with weapons necessary to cause chaos.

Honestly, sometimes during our discussions I feel like you live alone in a utopian world, or that you wish the world were utopian.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    This is just a facade that Israel is trying to export to the world, as the " good and innocent party in the story "

Also, someone who wants to exterminate a group/race etc will certainly not mind the extermination being carried out by members of the group itself , this method is sometimes used in other forms: for example : inciting people against each other's / against their governments and supporting them with weapons necessary to cause chaos.
    Similar to the "facade" of allowing Arab Israelis to vote in a democracy, something that millions of Arabs can't even do in "Arab" countries?

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Similar to the "facade" of allowing Arab Israelis to vote in a democracy, something that millions of Arabs can't even do in "Arab" countries?
    Yeah

TIM
    EII/INFj E9w1sp
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some thoughts, in no particular order:

Everybody pull up your armchair to the fire; we’re going to trot out our epidemiology expertise. I mean, Middle East expertise.

----------------------

"What is even reality?!" to quote Birdie again. So much misinformation, from exaggerations to outright lies. Pres Biden said he saw pictures of beheaded babies, then shortly afterward the White House retracted it. But his words are published widely and the correction gets little-to-no attention. Then, of course, we have tons of outright "fake news" with falsely labeled videos, fabricated reports, etc. Furthermore, I can’t help but wonder what amount of AI-adjusted or -created content is circulating.

----------------------

This attack by Hamas is confusing to me. There are a number of why’s getting put forward, all of them with varying levels of plausibility (and I can see for certain groups they would all be genuine) but to me it comes across as… well, flashy. Like poking a bear.

There was obviously (to me) a LOT of thought and prep that went into this. To what end? From just a numbers perspective: ok, 1-1.5k Israelis (+ some indiscriminate other nationalities) killed. A very high percentage of the targets are civilians. On a practical level, that’s not going to destroy or even really hinder Israeli operations. However, this is HUGELY emotionally provocative.

It feels like a chess move. At the same time, I’m not inclined to think that global schemers are all that competent. I think people try to control global events and perhaps like to imagine themselves as doing so (looking at you, Putin, Trump, et. al). And sometimes they succeed, often enough that people think it’s possible. But to me this does feel like that sort of attempt to machinate some regional, if not global, shifts. Who all is involved in the (potential) string pulling / bear poking? What are they hoping will happen? How much are they leaving it to chance / a domino row falling, and how much are they planning/hoping to affect later? Things don’t always (usually?) go as planned, especially the more variables are involved.

Israel has been provoked. Now what? Why was that important to do?

----------------------

They say, "Sex sells." Well, more like, "Emotions sell." I see grifters of all sorts everywhere.

----------------------

Humans have been depraved since before we can remember. The fact that we can even decry it is good and a bit of an advancement imo. Have you heard of Vlad the Impaler? I wish I hadn’t.

----------------------

People, as groups or individuals, are not monolithically good or evil. People do kind things and cruel things. We can choose to push in the direction of kindness or in the direction of destruction. And, sometimes, it can be hard to tell the difference. Sometimes things can get so mixed up and jumbled that to put your hand anywhere is to put it on both. What I've started to learn, though, is that "impossible" usually means "too much effort." Which, if you're tired and/or your resources are limited, is reasonable. It doesn't mean it's actually the right way, but it has its own logic.

Doing the right/healthy/kind/non-destructive thing almost always requires more effort than we think it should. But the payoffs are (eventually) worth it, if not for the person doing the right thing but for the world as a whole.

----------------------

Killing kids = you're doing something wrong
    Oh, to find you in dreams - mixing prior, analog, and never-beens... facts slip and turn and change with little lucidity. except the strong, permeating reality of emotion.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Minde View Post
    Some thoughts, in no particular order:

Everybody pull up your armchair to the fire; we’re going to trot out our epidemiology expertise. I mean, Middle East expertise.

----------------------

"What is even reality?!" to quote Birdie again. So much misinformation, from exaggerations to outright lies. Pres Biden said he saw pictures of beheaded babies, then shortly afterward the White House retracted it. But his words are published widely and the correction gets little-to-no attention. Then, of course, we have tons of outright "fake news" with falsely labeled videos, fabricated reports, etc. Furthermore, I can’t help but wonder what amount of AI-adjusted or -created content is circulating.

----------------------

This attack by Hamas is confusing to me. There are a number of why’s getting put forward, all of them with varying levels of plausibility (and I can see for certain groups they would all be genuine) but to me it comes across as… well, flashy. Like poking a bear.

There was obviously (to me) a LOT of thought and prep that went into this. To what end? From just a numbers perspective: ok, 1-1.5k Israelis (+ some indiscriminate other nationalities) killed. A very high percentage of the targets are civilians. On a practical level, that’s not going to destroy or even really hinder Israeli operations. However, this is HUGELY emotionally provocative.

It feels like a chess move. At the same time, I’m not inclined to think that global schemers are all that competent. I think people try to control global events and perhaps like to imagine themselves as doing so (looking at you, Putin, Trump, et. al). And sometimes they succeed, often enough that people think it’s possible. But to me this does feel like that sort of attempt to machinate some regional, if not global, shifts. Who all is involved in the (potential) string pulling / bear poking? What are they hoping will happen? How much are they leaving it to chance / a domino row falling, and how much are they planning/hoping to affect later? Things don’t always (usually?) go as planned, especially the more variables are involved.

Israel has been provoked. Now what? Why was that important to do?

----------------------

They say, "Sex sells." Well, more like, "Emotions sell." I see grifters of all sorts everywhere.

----------------------

Humans have been depraved since before we can remember. The fact that we can even decry it is good and a bit of an advancement imo. Have you heard of Vlad the Impaler? I wish I hadn’t.

----------------------

People, as groups or individuals, are not monolithically good or evil. People do kind things and cruel things. We can choose to push in the direction of kindness or in the direction of destruction. And, sometimes, it can be hard to tell the difference. Sometimes things can get so mixed up and jumbled that to put your hand anywhere is to put it on both. What I've started to learn, though, is that "impossible" usually means "too much effort." Which, if you're tired and/or your resources are limited, is reasonable. It doesn't mean it's actually the right way, but it has its own logic.

Doing the right/healthy/kind/non-destructive thing almost always requires more effort than we think it should. But the payoffs are (eventually) worth it, if not for the person doing the right thing but for the world as a whole.

----------------------

Killing kids = you're doing something wrong
    well, from what I understand from the videos/sources I have come across they may be doing it for martyrdom, perhaps some sort of islamic idea of jihad I believe. Someone can correct me if I am wrong

https://youtu.be/FysFqdRI50A?si=C5Yq1fBplubcOBeX

I have been wondering about the impact of prolonged wars like these on the psyche; those with antisocial ("sociopathic") PD traits may not necessarily think/feel/act the way they do since their mind functions fundamentally differently

They may also be potentially impulsive/focus on short term 'rewards'

Estimates are around 1-4% when I looked online, but I do approach this more as a dimensional thing (so people can have some traits)

And I would not be surprised if some of them can be drawn towards things like war as an outlet to perhaps do what they might not be under typical societal conventions - I don't know, just some musings

But... when you combine the religious ideas such as 'jihad' or martyrdom, with possible antisocial leaning traits at a young age (these things are often both environment and genetics) combined with seeing the sort of suffering say today's young Gazans are seeing all around them - what kind of effect does it have on one's psychology? I tried to look for something on this but didn't personally find it... but yeah

and going back to the dimensional idea, perhaps combination of these factors may also reinvigorate any desire for sadism inherently present even in people that perhaps might be ordinarily considered "antisocial" "sociopathic" etc.

just some thoughts I have been having, I am not sayin I am right/wrong... more of a brainstorming...
    Last edited by necrosebud; 10-13-2023 at 12:57 PM.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    Yeah
    I don't think how Israel treats its minorities (Arabs, Muslims, Christians, various Jewish sects, homosexuals etc.) quite well compared to neighbouring countries is a facade, it's something that comes about through a deliberate co-ordinated effort through its institutions. I'm not fond of the Israeli government (it's about the most right wing democratically elected government in the whole world) though.

TIM
    694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Israel is the only real Democratic country in the region. It is surrounded by corrupted and authoritarians regimes. That's a truth of significant meaning, peace with those kind of regimes giving the nature of the conflict is ephemeral at best if not impossible unless they develop the dissuasive weapon. The perspective of a real mutual annihilation is a guarantee of peace albeit not ideal. But Nuclear weapons in the hand of expansionist and/or corrupted regimes lead to critical situations in which Diplomacy is the last bastion against the unthinkable.

The War on Ukraine is sadly an example of those complex situations, the existence of intergovernmental security alliances like NATO are not dissuasive enough against countries with nuclear power and interventions by "proxy" are the only alternatives to conflicts involving those kind of countries. The word "cobeligerent" became almost senseless but the fate of the world relies on the necessity of the its reasonable interpretation.

That said, the enemy of reason and Diplomacy is fanaticism of the worst kind namely religious fanaticism. Indeed, in all those religions (Abrahamic) the destruction of humanity, Armageddon, Apocalypse, Gog and Magog etc are Prophetic "Truths", they have to happen, the need to happen, and they will happen no matter what, they will make it happen. Fanaticism doesn't need to be violent, it need to be hopeful for the worst because after all, it's always the end of Times in the clock of faith and after destruction comes the everlasting peace...

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We all know the real reason for the Israel/Palestine conflict is ressentiment anyway. Everyone who feels wronged in their lives picks whichever side they hate more to watch them suffer. Jews are commonly hated and so are Arabs and Muslims and especially Arab Muslims. I dread now that this will be the way the world ends, with everyone deciding they hate each other more than they love themselves and just wantonly destroying it. The fact that the idea of hate is legally associated with prejudice rather than just on an individual level I think is not a coincidence at all. I hope I can prevent this though since I can see it. It is pathetic to destroy yourself to harm someone else even if that is often what fear does. That is why I focus on the positive things in life and try to absorb the ressentiment instead.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast