Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to find/recognize ISTps: characteristics, style, traits, and real life observations of SLIs

TIM
    IEE 7w6 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you like to be outside with people?
    Do you like to explore different places? trying new things, going to concerts?
    how do you like to live? Whats your ideal environment? How do you dress? Whats your favorite tree?
    ENFp. yay!

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bobbybeam View Post
    how do you like to live? Whats your ideal environment? How do you dress? Whats your favorite tree?
    Some of these questions are more person specific than type specific.

SLIs all handle their "introtim-ness" in different ways. Some are very social and into parties, some are not. Some prefer their solitude towards being around strange people and bad situations (especially if they have a lot of 'history').

I don't know that many SLIs, but one (Female) is very much social, just within her own special group of friends, who do a lot together. She doesn't like loud or crazy places, and is fairly calm all the time.

She does, actually, enjoy doing arts and crafts and likes designing and does things such as molding and welding. She's also interested in psychology a lot.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like what's his name said some of these are very specific, so i'll just answer em my way

I love being outside with people even though my major is computer engineering. I love computers, but I love being outside just as much. My favorite pastimes are snowboarding and bbqing in the summer. Shit to do with my friends, y'know?

And while I love exploring different places, i'm not the type to take initiative into going in the first place. Usually the ol dual handles that part of it. Same with trying new things. I love doing them, but i don't know where to begin unless someone shows me my options.

Man you ask some very specific questions. Maybe i'll tell you more if you stick around.

TIM
    IEE 7w6 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry! didn't mean to be so specific! i just didn't really know what questions to ask :/ i have read over the descriptions a few times, but am trying to get to know certain "type triggers" if you know what i mean, so that i can actually pick out my dual and see him in action.
    it would be nice to run into one....how vast of a difference is there among ISTp's...i mean are some really artsy, while others are not even close...within a conversation-what would i look for? what role do they play within the conversation or rather the introduction part when they meet new people?
    ENFp. yay!

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you could find an SLI artist or mechanic, and much more as well. Mechanic is the stereotype for male SLIs, for what its worth.

Some examples of SLI characters in film/books/movies might help.

Sometimes Clint Eastwood is typed as an ISTj, and he may be in some of his films. But some ISTps relate to him as well, so he's kind of a decent reference point I guess. ISTps are generally more easy going than ISTjs though.

I can't think of anyother very good examples right now.
    Last edited by UDP; 12-11-2009 at 03:42 AM.
    Posts I wrote in the past contain less nuance.
    If you're in this forum to learn something, be careful. Lots of misplaced toxicity.

~an extraverted consciousness is unable to believe in invisible forces.
    ~a certain mysterious power that may prove terribly fascinating to the extraverted man, for it touches his unconscious.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the mechanic thing is a little overdone. I mean, I dunno about anyone else but it doesn't turn me on to think about changing my transmission fluid. I think that whole thing just means SLI's prefer hands on activities which is very true for me.

Yes, very much so.

Do you like to explore different places?
    Every weekend I'm out trying new things and seeing new places. And who doesn't love a good concert?!

Um, I'm pretty easy to please. I guess lots of freedom..favorite tree? wtf haha...palm trees make me happy.

TIM
    IEE 7w6 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    I think the mechanic thing is a little overdone. I mean, I dunno about anyone else but it doesn't turn me on to think about changing my transmission fluid. I think that whole thing just means SLI's prefer hands on activities which is very true for me.

Yes, very much so.

Every weekend I'm out trying new things and seeing new places. And who doesn't love a good concert?!

Um, I'm pretty easy to please. I guess lots of freedom..favorite tree? wtf haha...palm trees make me happy.
    haha you are awesome...=] my dual, if he's anything like you i am in the process of being sold.
    palm trees are neat...i'm a fan of the oaks myself
    ohhh, and its good to hear that not all of my dual types just work on cars all day---not impressed...not down-it's handy, but eh
    ENFp. yay!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry! didn't mean to be so specific! i just didn't really know what questions to ask :/ i have read over the descriptions a few times, but am trying to get to know certain "type triggers" if you know what i mean, so that i can actually pick out my dual and see him in action.
    it would be nice to run into one....how vast of a difference is there among ISTp's...i mean are some really artsy, while others are not even close...within a conversation-what would i look for? what role do they play within the conversation or rather the introduction part when they meet new people?
    Relax, don't worry about it. =]

And we get shat on by socionics all the time. I mean, we're the only type that has a job title as our nickname. Pretty wack.

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SLIs lack "social skills". This doesn't mean that they are awkward or anything. What it means is that they usually do not have much interest in chit-chat (emotional appeals, etc); in a conversation they are focused in exchanging useful information (they share this characteristic with all Te types).

They notice this "lack of depth" in others and they often get amused when a person is sincerely interested in penetrating their fields of interest, which they are generally very knowlegeable about.

SLIs are generally secretive about their personal stuff. They believe (like most introverts) that there is no need to share everything with the external world. However, something that pleases the SLI to no end is to give away personal information and see it used by the other person in an useful way, say, like to adjust the relationship to take particular tastes and ideas into account. This makes the SLI to feel inmensely valued as an individual.

In a single line: "while everyone treats me like an plumber, she calls me 'Jim'".
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    IEE 7w6 sx/sp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awwww. mikemex this was SO helpful!!
    ummm so do i necessarily have to pursue my dual, or can he be the pursuer..or is it either or?
    umm this sound a little weird, but ah what vibes do SLI's give off? like do they seem distant or detached or uninterested?
    haha my goal is to be able to spot him out so I can see what he's like...it's so frustrating when I don't know what I am looking for...

oh oh and what are their eyes like? since they are introverted umm are their eyes not as expressive?
    ENFp. yay!

TIM
    LSE
    Mentioned
    383 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

awwww. mikemex this was SO helpful!!
    ummm so do i necessarily have to pursue my dual, or can he be the pursuer..or is it either or?
    umm this sound a little weird, but ah what vibes do SLI's give off? like do they seem distant or detached or uninterested?
    haha my goal is to be able to spot him out so I can see what he's like...it's so frustrating when I don't know what I am looking for...

oh oh and what are their eyes like? since they are introverted umm are their eyes not as expressive?
    Yeah; they seem uninterested and detached to those who aren't their close friends. Extroverts are often the pursuers, but guys often are too. I barely know of any male SLIs, so I wouldn't know. Their eyes are...normal. Intelligent. Not bright, but not dim.

LSE
    1-6-2 so/sx
    Johari Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Ritella View Post
    Over here, we'll put up with (almost) all of your crap. You just have to use the secret phrase: "I don't value it. It's related to <insert random element here>, which is not in my quadra."
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquagraph View Post
    Abbie is so boring and rigid it's awesome instead of boring and rigid. She seems so practical and down-to-the-ground.

TIM
    ENTj 3w4 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kevin Costner, I think, is a very good example of a typical E9 SLI.

3w4-5w6-9w8

TIM
    ??
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana View Post

All the stories on the forum about IEEs and the trouble they have with SLIs seem weird to me. I don't think they're actually finding SLIs, or they're not IEEs, because it should be easy enough. .
    Yeah, it could partly be that.

But IEE-SLI transactions dont generally play out smoothly.

Personally, I find the girls easier then to guys to sustain a relationship with on a consistent basis.
    <Crispy> what subt doesnt understand is that a healthy reaction to "FUCK YOU" is and not

TIM
    IEE-Ne
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For instance - someone compared Kevin Costner and Clint Eastwood, saying both were SLIs. This is ridiculous. Take a look at Costner. He has the Si eyes, and body language (languid-looking) - but Eastwood does not, and looks IJ instead.
    Absolutely. I've never mistaken him for an SLI and I don't understand why others do. A true SLI would be Charles Bronson.
    [] | NP | 3[6w5]8 so/sp | Type thread | My typing of forum members | Johari (Strengths) | Nohari (Weaknesses)

You know what? You're an individual, and that makes people nervous. And it's gonna keep making people nervous for the rest of your life.
    - Ole Golly from Harriet, the spy.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About their eyes: SLI males are really easy to spot. They look soft and kindly. Look for guys who look like teddy bears. I'm serious. Not physically, and not by what they're doing (they seem stereotypically "male" in most cases) but by their eyes.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikemex View Post
    Absolutely. I've never mistaken him for an SLI and I don't understand why others do. A true SLI would be Charles Bronson.
    Charles Bronson--that's a good call... I need to study him in more depth, but he's certainly closer to SLI--in terms of gaze/demeanor, and even the way he speaks--than I've seen suggested in awhile.

Re: Kevin Costner... I think there's a chance he's ISFj, in the Troy Aikman style... I'm not sure though. I haven't seen enough.

TIM
    EIE
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parkster, Charles Bronson has the SLI look.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JuJu View Post
    Parkster, Charles Bronson has the SLI look.
    Parkster isn't asking about SLI males. He is asking about IEE females. IEE females dont typically have one physical look but many. Many have soft rounded features but not always. Some are enthusiastic and bubbly and that is one clue. Some are more removed and ironic though. Those are the quiet ones. Almost all IEE females dress individualisticly. They like to create their own look than follow the current trends strictly. Usually they like color, layers and sometimes clashing details. The usually get along well with men and tend to like the attention but may not be serious about any particular guy. She may like to bounce between different social groups and she probably has skills related to each group. I seldom meet a IEE female who is a priss. They are usually hearty and will quickly accept challenges. They are much more interested in experiencing something new or novel that looking dignified at every moment.
    IEE females often have an introverted bests friend that she loves spending time with. She need this friend as a balancing agent and sounding board.
    IEEs are the kindest girls around. They are easy to talk to, love to smile and are very sympathetic. They will observe people carefully even when it seems like they are just having a good time.

I think Bobbybean is a good example of what many IEE females look like. No heavy makeup or hairstyles that need a lot of upkeep. Simple, friendly and open is the look.

Topaz
    The artifact which is the source of my power will not be kept on the Mountain of Despair beyond the River of Fire guarded by the Dragons of Eternity. It will be in my safe-deposit box. The same applies to the object which is my one weakness.

TIM
    IEE e7 783 sx so
    Mentioned
    422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Parkster View Post
    YES! My ex has the SAME eyes and expression!
    “Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.”
    ― Anais Nin

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diana
    For instance - someone compared Kevin Costner and Clint Eastwood, saying both were SLIs. This is ridiculous. Take a look at Costner. He has the Si eyes, and body language (languid-looking) - but Eastwood does not, and looks IJ instead.
    You're talking about me. I didn't compare the two persons directly but said their cases were similar. I am glad we agree that Costner is an ISTp. As can be seen in the thread on Eastwood's type, there are many people who see eye to eye with me on his type, so to call it ridiculous that Costner and Eastwood are both ISTps seems like a bit of an overstatement.

I'd also like to take the oppurtunity to echo the view that Bronson is a very typical ISTp. It shouldn't take much imagination for people to see similarity between Bronson's roles in film - and excecution of them - and those of Clint Eastwood.

TIM
    SLI 1w9 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    YES! My ex has the SAME eyes and expression!

Last edited by Park; 12-20-2009 at 02:13 AM.
    “Whether we fall by ambition, blood, or lust, like diamonds we are cut with our own dust.”

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly
    You've done yourself a huge favor developmentally by mustering the balls to do something really fucking scary... in about the most vulnerable situation possible.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that SLIs are really easy to spot once you catch the hang of it. Sure, there are different types of people who handle things differently, but the first physical feature that stands out to me about SLIs that catch my attention at first has got to be their presence. Whether they're standing quietly or walking around drunk in a room, they're natural physicality calls to me...maybe it calls to you too. Their sexiness is what I see first. They stand with confidence and you'll probably feel scared to approach them at first, but after you realize they're your dual, you'll have no problem approaching any of them.

I notice when SLI's enter a party scenario, unless it's their house, they'll prolly be standing around quietly, but watching everyone with an interest. They won't seem bored (Even if it's sitting and watching what's on the television).

After getting to know one for a little bit, getting along with them will be a bit of a roller coaster. Some days they will have a lot of interest in you, then others it will seem like they hate you (they might even for the day only). Stick around long enough with ones that you really care about and you're in for a ride :]. A good ride--even though sometimes the going can get tough and your emotions seem like they're being pushed to the limit...it'll teach you a lot of great lessons and when you look back at all the experiences, you'll be gleaming.

I know i strayed from your original question, but I hope this helped :]
    Peggacorn
    ENFP

TIM
    ILE, E5 so/sx, INTP
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default What are some good ISTp videos I can show my ENFp friend?

So I finally got my IEE friend sort of interested in socionics. I showed him the IEE profile by Filatova asking him if he thought it'd describe my sister, to which he said "I don't know about your sister, but this fits me PERFECTLY. A lot of the weak points about my personality are addressed here, and are things I've been struggling with recently". YAY! I knew he was an IEE, but him reading the profiles made it even more certain.

YAY! We got an IEE! Now I want to show him about the interesting features of dualism. The thing is, typed profiles usually don't do as much justice to a type. I know I wasn't crazy about the SEI description when I read it (but I did love them when I saw them in action and I realized what people I've met are SEIs).

With this, I am looking for videos of SLIs that might give my IEE friends some good Delta boners. Preferably female ones, but male ones can work too. Can any of you think of a video featuring an interview with a SLI that might help?

Thanks!
    ILE; INTP
    5w6 so; rcUe|I|;

Mentioned
    167 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meg from Hercules is an SLI woman.

She's a cartoon, not a person, of course. But still.

Haikus
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DearestIsobel View Post
    Meg from Hercules is an SLI woman.

She's a cartoon, not a person, of course. But still.
    Shut up meg.

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ekpyrosos View Post
    It's like watching paint dry.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jessica129 View Post
    It's like watching paint dry.
    Now for contrast, since you're running in place so hard to distance yourself from delta, demonstrate where you've ever said or done anything exciting.

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Page Hamilton from Helmet - Te-SLI:

p . . . a . . . n . . . d . . . o . . . r . . . a
    trad metalz | (more coming)

TIM
    Robespierre
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some serious PoLR Fe going on here. Strong need to express the Delta need for freedom in isolation.

you can go to where your heart is Galen's Avatar
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ISTps in my list, in no particular order. Exclamation points denote girls:

Scott Bakula
    Bryan Adams
    !Ronni Ancona!
    Bryan Cranston
    John Patrick Lowrie
    !Cat Cora!
    Toshiro Mifune
    Russell Tovey
    Tyler Coates
    Ray Lamontagne
    !Famke Janssen!
    Keith Olbermann
    Victor Borge
    Neil Patrick Harris
    !Frida Kahlo!
    !Danica Patrick!
    !Paulina Porizkova!
    Clint Eastwood
    Robert Sean Leonard
    Chuck Norris

Break out the youtube machine and throw in as many of these names as he sees fit.

Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

BnD posted this guy some time back: link. That fluidic, flexible body language of IP temperament is very pronounced in him (Si-sub likely).

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Tonetta - Si-SLI:

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ekpyrosos View Post
    Now for contrast, since you're running in place so hard to distance yourself from delta, demonstrate where you've ever said or done anything exciting.
    I'm not, you're wrong. That man is about as exciting as a box of rocks. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

TIM
    x s x p s p s x
    Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Two Si-SLIs for the price of one! Charlie Benante and Mike Portnoy on drums:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast