Thread: Cleric, Druids, Wizards, and Sorcerers

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cleric, Druids, Wizards, and Sorcerers

Wizard: Ti based, with some Ne. Also a minimal amount of +Ni (Neptune--it is essential for any magic). Most likely types to be wizards are LII-Ti, ILE-Ti, and LSI-Ti.

Druids: +Si/-Se, -Ni, and some -Ne/+Ni. Also some -Si. Most likely types to be druids are SEI-Si, IEI-Ni, IEE-Ne, SLE-Se, and SLI-Te.

Cleric: +Ni/+Se based. Most likely types to be clerics are ILI, LIE, EII, SLI-Si and LSE.

Sorcerer: -Se and +Ni based. Most likely types to be sorcerers are EIE, SEE-Se, ESI-Se, and SLE-Ti

To not leave out ESE, ESE-Fe very rarely can be a wizard, and ESE-Si very rarely can be a druid.

To not leave out ESI-Fi, they rarely can be clerics. SEE-Fi as well.

LII-Ne and ILE-Ne, I'm not sure.

Addition:

Necromancers: Necromancers are primarily -Si (Pluto) based. Any -Si type can be a necromancer (LSI-Ti too via demonstrative). It is more common a thing of delta quadra though ("fallen" deltas).
    Last edited by lavos; 05-12-2023 at 03:39 AM.
    Then, the angel asked her what her name was. She said: "I have none"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No necromancer? I wanna be one.

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Renna View Post
    No necromancer? I wanna be one.
    Ah yes, I'll add to the first post

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Delta and their army of the dead…

TIM
    LIE
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Renna View Post
    Yeah, Delta and their army of the dead…
    I take it that you're not taking this stuff seriously. That's okay, since it wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Mostly, I am drawing parallels between Socionics and D&D spellcaster classes. These do not exist in reality. Not until magic is returned to the world at least, when a frequency change happens. This will happen due to energy waves coming from the galactic centre, that will cause the Sun to go micronova and turn first white, then blue. The idea that undead are delta came from Warcraft game, where the units and heroes seem delta. Also from Heroes of Might and Magic 3. There is an unit that is a dragon, and dragons are gamma, so maybe gammas can be undead too. It makes more sense that they are serious quadra types, because merrys are "life", and serious are "death" (sun vs pluto).

I'll add that don't be an ignorant and a smartass, and make fun of things that you do not understand.
    Last edited by lavos; 05-12-2023 at 03:39 PM.

TIM
    IEI-Ni
    Mentioned
    661 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I can see myself as Druid probably the most out of any of those, although I kinda don't like being out in nature much. Ugggh eternal altitis WILL I EVER FIND MY RPG CLASS.

ESEs have a melee element to them. I can see them as like Retribution Paladins or something. Or some sorta melee/caster hybrid type. Something with strong buff or debuff spells. Mb like Chanters in AION.

ESIs are Warlocks. Something dark and kinky. I never met a ESI that wasn't a perv in some way and I mean, I'm a perv too but they are often pretty perverted. So I think like Warlock fits them.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorcerer is Ne bro, come on.

Paladin: LSE/ESE/EIE
    Fighter: SLE/LSI/LIE/LSE
    Barbarian: SEE/ESI
    Ranger: ESI/SLI
    Sorcerer: IEE/ILE
    Wizard: LII/ILI
    Warlock: IEI/LSI/EIE/ILI
    Artificer: LII/ILI/LIE/LSI
    Cleric: SEI/EII/EIE
    Druid: SEE/ESI/SLI/SEI/IEE
    Rogue:ILI/LSI
    Bard: IEE/ILE

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pixel View Post
    Sorcerer is Ne bro, come on.

Paladin: LSE/ESE/EIE
    Fighter: SLE/LSI/LIE/LSE
    Barbarian: SEE/ESI
    Ranger: ESI/SLI
    Sorcerer: IEE/ILE
    Wizard: LII/ILI
    Warlock: IEI/LSI/EIE/ILI
    Artificer: LII/ILI/LIE/LSI
    Cleric: SEI/EII/EIE
    Druid: SEE/ESI/SLI/SEI/IEE
    Rogue:ILI/LSI
    Bard: IEE/ILE
    Some sorcerer bloodlines would have more options though. Like 5e sorcerer can be anything. Clockwork Soul? Ti/Te there since you're literally a robot/mathematical construct. Aberrant Mind? Fe/Ni, since it's basically just a better GOOlock at this point and the replacement for the mystic. Shadow? Also Fe/Ni. Favored Soul? Fi/Fe like clerics. Draconic Bloodline? Se. 3.5e sorcerer, on the other hand, that's pretty solidly Ne. Socionics is fake, but anyone can be a 5e sorcerer, and anyone can also be a 5e bard since they got rid of the part where you have to sing and play music. Heck, even anyone can be a warlock since there's an angel patron and a machine patron. Anyone can also be a paladin or a cleric, but being a warlock is way better if you want to hit things with your sword, being a sorcerer is better if you want to cast spells, and wizards also suck horribly badly in 5e, you're better off just being a sorcerer, warlock, or bard and taking the feat that gives you a spellbook if you're not a Pact of the Tome warlock.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Coeruleum Blue View Post
    Some sorcerer bloodlines would have more options though. Like 5e sorcerer can be anything. Clockwork Soul? Ti/Te there since you're literally a robot/mathematical construct. Aberrant Mind? Fe/Ni, since it's basically just a better GOOlock at this point and the replacement for the mystic. Shadow? Also Fe/Ni. Favored Soul? Fi/Fe like clerics. Draconic Bloodline? Se. 3.5e sorcerer, on the other hand, that's pretty solidly Ne. Socionics is fake, but anyone can be a 5e sorcerer, and anyone can also be a 5e bard since they got rid of the part where you have to sing and play music. Heck, even anyone can be a warlock since there's an angel patron and a machine patron. Anyone can also be a paladin or a cleric, but being a warlock is way better if you want to hit things with your sword, being a sorcerer is better if you want to cast spells, and wizards also suck horribly badly in 5e, you're better off just being a sorcerer, warlock, or bard and taking the feat that gives you a spellbook if you're not a Pact of the Tome warlock.
    Yea but Charisma for spell casting instead of intelligence and studying spells from a tome, just sounds more Ne than Ti. Just born with magic, Ne. And Ne for bard because of witty persuasion and deception checks the bards are known for.

Wizards suck horribly bad? They get almost every spell in the game tho. Warlocks are sick tho, but only half casters. Lore Bard probably is the best spell caster in the game lowkey.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea but Charisma for spell casting instead of intelligence and studying spells from a tome, just sounds more Ne than Ti. Just born with magic, Ne. And Ne for bard because of witty persuasion and deception checks the bards are known for.

Wizards suck horribly bad? They get almost every spell in the game tho. Warlocks are sick tho, but only half casters. Lore Bard probably is the best spell caster in the game lowkey.
    Yes, wizards in 5e suck so badly you should just be a sorcerer and RP as a wizard imo. Wizards are just so much worse at casting spells than sorcerers in 5e, they know 10 less, the only advantage is you can change the spells you know each day, but you're not going to do that because you want to prepare your best spells every day, and your best spells won't be as good as a sorcerer's because they can pick things like Armor of Agathys, Hunger of Hadar, Dissonant Whispers, Healing Word, and pretty much whatever they want, in addition to casting multiple spells per turn and being able to do them without verbal, somatic, or material components, and getting class features like "you can see in magical darkness," "you can twist the forces of fate and change your dice roll," and "you have permanent telepathy" rather than "you can change your Fireball spell to ice 3 times per day." Also, in earlier editions wizards didn't necessarily have to have a tome. The tome for wizard spells is just a pure weakness in 5e imo, since they know fewer spells than sorcerers, worse spells than sorcerers, plus if they lose the tome they can't prepare them. The wizard I played in 3.5e didn't have a tome, but then, that wizard's favored class was also psion rather than wizard and had about 6 different classes all without it being a weakness.

In 3.5e I'd suggest people to play psions instead of sorcerers and in 5e I'd suggest people to play sorcerers instead of wizards. In 5e it's way worse though, in 5e the only valid classes are basically sorcerer, warlock, and bard, except for maybe 1-3 level dips of other classes for some builds, like take a couple of levels in paladin and the rest in sorcerer, or a couple of levels in rogue and the rest in bard. This is sadly, regardless of your character concept. Also, warlocks aren't half-casters. You still get 9th-level spells as "mystic arcana," which means you still get Wish, True Polymorph, and all the other world-ending spells. However, you can also get other spells at-will, which can potentially be way better than what sorcerers get, and if you want a melee weapon, the pact weapon is the best thing in the game. If any of the spells you want to use a lot of isn't on the warlock invocation list, play a sorcerer or a bard though. Sorcerer if you want metamagic and the features sorcerers get which are usually more offensive or utility, or bard if you want bardic inspiration and the features bards get which are usually supportive or help with weapon fighting like a martial. 5e is just total jank at this point, I've seen people making characters that are supposed to be generally non-magical taking bard levels just for the skill proficiencies and if you want psionics it's going to be listed as "spells" but still play like psionics. All RPGs are kind of jank, but at least if you go play Spheres of Power in Pathfinder your gamebreaking jank will make thematic sense to what you're trying to do.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 5e it's way worse though, in 5e the only valid classes are basically sorcerer, warlock, and bard, except for maybe 1-3 level dips of other classes for some builds, like take a couple of levels in paladin and the rest in sorcerer, or a couple of levels in rogue and the rest in bard. This is sadly, regardless of your character concept.
    Bro, what are you talking about? The best class in the whole game obviously is Beast Master Ranger.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bro, what are you talking about? The best class in the whole game obviously is Beast Master Ranger.
    Clearly, it's right in the name. It says "beast" and it says "master," so it's both the beast class and the master class!

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clearly, it's right in the name. It says "beast" and it says "master," so it's both the beast class and the master class!
    all jokes aside, why are those 3 classes the only valid classes?

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all jokes aside, why are those 3 classes the only valid classes?
    Those feel like the only ones that are strong at all imo. I did say other classes work as a 1-3 level dip though, so like paladin/sorcerer is pretty great, but as a paladin, your entire class is based around smiting, and as a paladin/sorcerer, you can both smite much more than as a straight paladin, and potentially get 9th-level spells (this is why I cap out the dips at 3 levels, because 17th level is when you get 9th-level spells for every single class in 5e.) So if you want to stick with the regular holy warrior theme, go for paladin/divine soul sorcerer bloodline. Or if you just want a lot of damage, go for paladin/shadow sorcerer (damage is really the only thing shadow is good for imo, if you thematically want to be a shadow sorcerer, use aberrant mind sorcerer or lunar sorcery.) If you like the tank part, go for paladin/clockwork soul. Bard also works really well for paladins, but I wouldn't touch warlock as a paladin because you get 1-4 spell slots per day usually as a warlock since no one uses 2-hour "short rests," but you still get lots of significant things from warlock that aren't eldritch blast so warlock is still great. Warlocks still get 9th-level spells if you take at least 17 levels in warlock, they just go under mystic arcanum and don't use a spell slot. Basically any warlock patron other than undying or archfey is really good, but I think noble genie and great old one are probably somewhat better than the other ones, just not so much better at everything the other ones aren't worth taking.

Great old one is pretty underrated, but I think it can get better utility than a wizard if you pick the right invocations, because you can get permanent mind control of NPCs or your fellow PCs who you don't like with no save if you're at a really high level, plus a good spell list you can still actually use, plus your damage is from eldritch blasts and probably also Hunger of Hadar/Evard's Black Tentacles which are generally better than wizard spells if you aren't trying to do the "god wizard" thing and give other people flying, and all the eldritch invocations are at-will spells that don't have any verbal, somatic, or material components to begin with, go get Pact of the Tome and Gift of the Protectors can make you functionally immortal, but most of those invocations including this one are available to any warlock patron. The noble genie spell lists and features are great too, you can get things like Creation, Greater Invisibility, and Wish (though I don't think Wish is strictly better than True Polymorph or Gate in 5e so I don't rank noble genie patron as completely better on that alone) and you can get your own genie lamp as well as basically the only version of Limited Wish/Bend/Anyspell from other editions that any class gets at all before 17th level. Celestial patron can make you the best healer, fathomless is probably the best damage, fiend is the best tank, undead (not undying) is still good because it makes you probably a better necromancer than any other class, literally just don't pick archfey or undying, pick great old one, fathomless, or genie and say your patron is a faerie if you want it to be a fey and pick undead or celestial if you want the undying theme.

As for bards, college of swords bard is basically the best martial-type class in the game and college of lore is the best skill monkey plus better at doing the wizard theme than actual wizards if you aren't trying to get psychic powers/componentless spells or lots of class features that aren't your bardic inspiration or martial abilities. Bards can pick literally any spell in the game from their bardic inspiration and you don't have to sing or play an instrument in 5e, so just pick college of lore bard or whatever sorcerer bloodline you want that isn't solely focused on damage and the feat that gives you a spellbook or pact of the tome warlock and say you're a wizard if you want to be all scholarly, even though the casting stat for all of those is charisma unless you get your DM to change it. 5e is complete jank imo, way worse than Pathfinder's Spheres of Jank (Spheres of Power/Spheres of Might, Spheres of Jank is not the official name) because what you're doing just doesn't make much thematic sense. Like if you want to be Hercules in 5e your best option isn't to be a fighter, it's to be a sorcerer with metamagic and just metamagic all your spells so when you're doing things like pushing the river into the Augean stables you're not chanting and waving your hands around, you just "grab" the river and move it.

5e is really bad at emulating basically any concept from mythology, folklore, or pulp fantasy you could want, and is literally good at doing one thing, being a stereotypical modern D&D universe, even though I've explicitly started a conversation with End on the Random Thought Thread about how different modern D&D universes are from the original one. Luckily for us, WotC itself seems to be going more old-school. They're seeking to get more deals with companies to make D&D games in their worlds, which the Stranger Things and Rick and Morty crossovers are about, and they did that with their own franchise with the Magic: the Gathering crossover. Likewise, in Magic: the Gathering, half the cards they make are things like psionic gith monks or Farideh with her diabolical pact fighting in the Neverwinter gang wars, and none of the bards have been horny or drunk. WotC recognizes that the real reason D&D was considered Satanic by people who opposed it in the 80's while it's considered dorky by people who oppose it now is probably because of actual changes that happened to the game and they're working on changing it back so we have more Conan and heavy metal, and less Dragonlance and ren-faire minstrel songs. Getting the actual licenses is what TSR should've done back in the day when Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson still owned it to begin with. The whole reason you don't have old pulp fiction in D&D books is TSR tried to publish it without having the rights and another company, Chaosium, which did have the rights, sued them, so they had to take out all the Cthulhu, Conan, and Elric stuff. But Call of Cthulhu is still not exactly the setting you want if you're trying to play Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath from Lovecraft, which is literally just an adventure story like Conan and Elric. So eventually TSR started publishing the Dragonlance stuff, which is extremely low-quality writing in my opinion, and that was actually what literally drove them out of business and got Wizards of the Coast to buy up Dungeons and Dragons, which was also after Wizards of the Coast bought Magic: the Gathering.

The reason Magic has been way more popular all this time is because lots more people like Conan and heavy metal than Dragonlance and renaissance faire music and that's literally all there is to it in my opinion, but there's still a loyalist base for the current D&D brand which WotC has to fight really hard against, probably like what Games Workshop has to fight against whenever they want to change anything in the Warhammer canon, even though they used to change it all the time in the 80s as well. This loyalist base is absolutely not "grognards," really old-school D&D was full of space aliens, robots, psionics, escaped laboratory experiments (e.g, owlbears, displacer beasts, etc.,) and artifacts mined from the cores of dying stars, and the setting itself was largely based on Jack Vance's Dying Earth series. The closest popular parallel to Dying Earth would be something like Dune or Canticle for Leibowitz, it takes place in the far future but people just act medieval because the society is basically post-apocalyptic and dystopian, and all the "magic" is basically technology that isn't understood anymore. Most of the Cthulhu, Conan, and later Elric and Fafhrd the Grey Mouser stuff was literally like that too, "Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis, and the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of," and all that. I am always disappointed at the fantasy community for moving really strongly in this renfaire, get-drunk-at-the-tavern-and-sleep-around-while-worshipping-Wiccan-gods direction instead of the more pulpy sci-fi-and-comics direction. That stuff is an inspiration to me despite the fact barely anyone actually reads it and more people meme it, which makes it kind of like any other classic such as Shakespeare, "a classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read," as Mark Twain called them.

This has been my über-professional academic essay on sci-fi, comics, pulp fiction, D&D, Magic: the Gathering, and Warhammer. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those feel like the only ones that are strong at all imo. I did say other classes work as a 1-3 level dip though, so like paladin/sorcerer is pretty great, but as a paladin, your entire class is based around smiting, and as a paladin/sorcerer, you can both smite much more than as a straight paladin, and potentially get 9th-level spells (this is why I cap out the dips at 3 levels, because 17th level is when you get 9th-level spells for every single class in 5e.) So if you want to stick with the regular holy warrior theme, go for paladin/divine soul sorcerer bloodline. Or if you just want a lot of damage, go for paladin/shadow sorcerer (damage is really the only thing shadow is good for imo, if you thematically want to be a shadow sorcerer, use aberrant mind sorcerer or lunar sorcery.) If you like the tank part, go for paladin/clockwork soul. Bard also works really well for paladins, but I wouldn't touch warlock as a paladin because you get 1-4 spell slots per day usually as a warlock since no one uses 2-hour "short rests," but you still get lots of significant things from warlock that aren't eldritch blast so warlock is still great. Warlocks still get 9th-level spells if you take at least 17 levels in warlock, they just go under mystic arcanum and don't use a spell slot. Basically any warlock patron other than undying or archfey is really good, but I think noble genie and great old one are probably somewhat better than the other ones, just not so much better at everything the other ones aren't worth taking.

Great old one is pretty underrated, but I think it can get better utility than a wizard if you pick the right invocations, because you can get permanent mind control of NPCs or your fellow PCs who you don't like with no save if you're at a really high level, plus a good spell list you can still actually use, plus your damage is from eldritch blasts and probably also Hunger of Hadar/Evard's Black Tentacles which are generally better than wizard spells if you aren't trying to do the "god wizard" thing and give other people flying, and all the eldritch invocations are at-will spells that don't have any verbal, somatic, or material components to begin with, go get Pact of the Tome and Gift of the Protectors can make you functionally immortal, but most of those invocations including this one are available to any warlock patron. The noble genie spell lists and features are great too, you can get things like Creation, Greater Invisibility, and Wish (though I don't think Wish is strictly better than True Polymorph or Gate in 5e so I don't rank noble genie patron as completely better on that alone) and you can get your own genie lamp as well as basically the only version of Limited Wish/Bend/Anyspell from other editions that any class gets at all before 17th level. Celestial patron can make you the best healer, fathomless is probably the best damage, fiend is the best tank, undead (not undying) is still good because it makes you probably a better necromancer than any other class, literally just don't pick archfey or undying, pick great old one, fathomless, or genie and say your patron is a faerie if you want it to be a fey and pick undead or celestial if you want the undying theme.

As for bards, college of swords bard is basically the best martial-type class in the game and college of lore is the best skill monkey plus better at doing the wizard theme than actual wizards if you aren't trying to get psychic powers/componentless spells or lots of class features that aren't your bardic inspiration or martial abilities. Bards can pick literally any spell in the game from their bardic inspiration and you don't have to sing or play an instrument in 5e, so just pick college of lore bard or whatever sorcerer bloodline you want that isn't solely focused on damage and the feat that gives you a spellbook or pact of the tome warlock and say you're a wizard if you want to be all scholarly, even though the casting stat for all of those is charisma unless you get your DM to change it. 5e is complete jank imo, way worse than Pathfinder's Spheres of Jank (Spheres of Power/Spheres of Might, Spheres of Jank is not the official name) because what you're doing just doesn't make much thematic sense. Like if you want to be Hercules in 5e your best option isn't to be a fighter, it's to be a sorcerer with metamagic and just metamagic all your spells so when you're doing things like pushing the river into the Augean stables you're not chanting and waving your hands around, you just "grab" the river and move it.

5e is really bad at emulating basically any concept from mythology, folklore, or pulp fantasy you could want, and is literally good at doing one thing, being a stereotypical modern D&D universe, even though I've explicitly started a conversation with End on the Random Thought Thread about how different modern D&D universes are from the original one. Luckily for us, WotC itself seems to be going more old-school. They're seeking to get more deals with companies to make D&D games in their worlds, which the Stranger Things and Rick and Morty crossovers are about, and they did that with their own franchise with the Magic: the Gathering crossover. Likewise, in Magic: the Gathering, half the cards they make are things like psionic gith monks or Farideh with her diabolical pact fighting in the Neverwinter gang wars, and none of the bards have been horny or drunk. WotC recognizes that the real reason D&D was considered Satanic by people who opposed it in the 80's while it's considered dorky by people who oppose it now is probably because of actual changes that happened to the game and they're working on changing it back so we have more Conan and heavy metal, and less Dragonlance and ren-faire minstrel songs. Getting the actual licenses is what TSR should've done back in the day when Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson still owned it to begin with. The whole reason you don't have old pulp fiction in D&D books is TSR tried to publish it without having the rights and another company, Chaosium, which did have the rights, sued them, so they had to take out all the Cthulhu, Conan, and Elric stuff. But Call of Cthulhu is still not exactly the setting you want if you're trying to play Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath from Lovecraft, which is literally just an adventure story like Conan and Elric. So eventually TSR started publishing the Dragonlance stuff, which is extremely low-quality writing in my opinion, and that was actually what literally drove them out of business and got Wizards of the Coast to buy up Dungeons and Dragons, which was also after Wizards of the Coast bought Magic: the Gathering.

The reason Magic has been way more popular all this time is because lots more people like Conan and heavy metal than Dragonlance and renaissance faire music and that's literally all there is to it in my opinion, but there's still a loyalist base for the current D&D brand which WotC has to fight really hard against, probably like what Games Workshop has to fight against whenever they want to change anything in the Warhammer canon, even though they used to change it all the time in the 80s as well. This loyalist base is absolutely not "grognards," really old-school D&D was full of space aliens, robots, psionics, escaped laboratory experiments (e.g, owlbears, displacer beasts, etc.,) and artifacts mined from the cores of dying stars, and the setting itself was largely based on Jack Vance's Dying Earth series. The closest popular parallel to Dying Earth would be something like Dune or Canticle for Leibowitz, it takes place in the far future but people just act medieval because the society is basically post-apocalyptic and dystopian, and all the "magic" is basically technology that isn't understood anymore. Most of the Cthulhu, Conan, and later Elric and Fafhrd the Grey Mouser stuff was literally like that too, "Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis, and the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of," and all that. I am always disappointed at the fantasy community for moving really strongly in this renfaire, get-drunk-at-the-tavern-and-sleep-around-while-worshipping-Wiccan-gods direction instead of the more pulpy sci-fi-and-comics direction. That stuff is an inspiration to me despite the fact barely anyone actually reads it and more people meme it, which makes it kind of like any other classic such as Shakespeare, "a classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read," as Mark Twain called them.

This has been my über-professional academic essay on sci-fi, comics, pulp fiction, D&D, Magic: the Gathering, and Warhammer. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
    Never new it had a more sci-fi background back in the day.

I'm still stuck on swords bard being best martial in the game? How? Because of defensive flourish and spells? And I'm shocked no mention of Hexblade for Warlock.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never new it had a more sci-fi background back in the day.

I'm still stuck on swords bard being best martial in the game? How? Because of defensive flourish and spells? And I'm shocked no mention of Hexblade for Warlock.
    Yes, I should've mentioned hexblade. Hexblade does a lot of damage and you can actually give it some utility from basic warlock features. Definitely a good subclass, but one I basically forgot because "the hexblade" isn't much of a patron. It mostly seems like it's trying to give you Stormbringer but story-wise Stormbringer would just be a patron like the fiend, so mechanically hexblade is great, it's just in an awkward spot thematically imo. In a gestalt game, one of the melee players was hexblade pact of the blade warlock/college of swords bard as his two classes and it was great. But he was taking two spellcasting classes just to be extra good at hitting things with a sword, and I don't think the DM was necessarily very happy with that even though I thought it was cool.

Technically, if anything better than what a normal character can do is magic, though, there's no reason not to take magic classes for everything, because you're not picking between the stereotypical glass cannon mage casting fireball from the back and having a sword, you're picking between having a magic sword of the gods or demons and the bloodline of a thousand warriors who can bend reality with the blade and just being some random guy/gal with a sword who attacks four times. Some people who don't understand the D&D rules very well, which is lots of 5e players even if they've been playing for a long time, are very unhappy about this situation.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I should've mentioned hexblade. Hexblade does a lot of damage and you can actually give it some utility from basic warlock features. Definitely a good subclass, but one I basically forgot because "the hexblade" isn't much of a patron. It mostly seems like it's trying to give you Stormbringer but story-wise Stormbringer would just be a patron like the fiend, so mechanically hexblade is great, it's just in an awkward spot thematically imo. In a gestalt game, one of the melee players was hexblade pact of the blade warlock/college of swords bard as his two classes and it was great. But he was taking two spellcasting classes just to be extra good at hitting things with a sword, and I don't think the DM was necessarily very happy with that even though I thought it was cool.

Technically, if anything better than what a normal character can do is magic, though, there's no reason not to take magic classes for everything, because you're not picking between the stereotypical glass cannon mage casting fireball from the back and having a sword, you're picking between having a magic sword of the gods or demons and the bloodline of a thousand warriors who can bend reality with the blade and just being some random guy/gal with a sword who attacks four times. Some people who don't understand the D&D rules very well, which is lots of 5e players even if they've been playing for a long time, are very unhappy about this situation.
    That multiclass plus sorcerer for quickened spell and paladin dip for smites and voila best gish in the game imo, but no level 9 spells. Yea martials aren't amazing late game, but I mean most games don't go past level 10 and martials are pretty good early game so I don't think it's as bad as it sounds.