Thread: Is abortion a form of eugenics?

Mentioned
    223 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Is abortion a form of eugenics?

When choosing to abort a baby, certain phenotypes are probably more likely to be selected than others. Selective abortion is a thing that happens — phoetuses with diseases are more likely to be aborted, for example. In your opinion, does that make abortion a form of eugenics?

TIM
    694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No it's not. Eugeunism is based on selective breeding according to some specific criteria while abortion is just the interruption of pregnancy. The former has a purpose based on an obscure Ideology i.e. the enhancement of a particular human population (elite), the latter has no other purpose but to end the process of pregnancy.

That said, even massive abortion on a population scale would not create a particular phenomenon of selection leaning toward a particular phenotype. I mean if anything abortion will create nothing since the pregnancy is by definition interrupted. Besides, even if abortion were to be performed only on mothers whose children would otherwise be born disabled, for example with Down syndrome (since trisomy 21 is easily detectable in utero), the result would be a society with far fewer people with this syndrome. However, the rest of the population would not be affected since abortion itself is not a differentiating factor leading to the emergence of one particular phenotype over another in the population.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

It was used such in the recent past. The results shaw that for noticable efficiency mb needed rather long time alike centuries. So it appeared as easier to develop genetic technologies for the same.
    Humanity is near step of post-evolutional selection. To some degree.

Eugenics as principle will be attractive and just awaits better tools.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'd kill my baby. abortion is a human right