Thread: My brain tried to protect me and i cracked the code of si...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb My brain tried to protect me and i cracked the code of si...

So i had this weird dream minutes ago.

I didnt even remember how it started but i was visiting a foreign country with a group. While sigstseeing, suddenly i found myself in a dormitory of school, it felt like hogwarts /harrry potter somehow but weirder. I was arguing and trolling with a couple of people while lying in bed. (During the dream i kinda had this awareness that i was dreaming but it was fun and exciting so i went along with it).

One of these people was kimda like a semi god I was saying bad annoying things but people were tolerating me. I increased the dose and but accidently (?) really said some destructive shit to semi-god. Then he tried to kill me, he was just pressing down my neck with his mind power/magic as i was lying on my side. At this point, i thought i should wake up. The pressure grew and grew to the point that i d suffocate and die. I tried to scream to gain whole awareness and i managed it. The very real pressure on my neck dropped to its 1/100 when i was fully awake. I recognized i was in an uncomfortable sleeping posiiton which looked like i was shrugging my left shoulder that put pressure on my neck. I may have ended with a sore neck tomorrow if brain didnt intervene (basicaly put me in conflict with a semi-god suddenly) and forced me to wake up. Then i compared the difference between the pressure i felt on my neck. The one in dream was soooo real and high but in reality it is barely. That made me think about other things and how brain can manipulate sensations. Like if we eat shit but think/believe that its hamburger, will it taste like hamburger ? I can see it possible and maybe brain controls us and we dont have power over that (like using it to solve problems), instead it uses us. I dont think i ll be ever so confşdent to trust my sensations again cos clearly some brain chemicals manipulate it.

I had a similar experience sleeping in a bus years ago. It was a night ride and the road was full of curves and probably drivers was a bit too fast. So i had this dream where i wore a 3d glass and was playing a racing game. I believe my game road and how i drive was identical to real situation of the bus. Then suddeny after a right turn, my left arm was stucked in the door handle and started hurting like crazy. After real bad pain i became so uncomfortable that i wake up. My left arm was in the exact position and i was leaning on it. It was numb and felt amputated (i had no control over it). After a while blood went to the tissues again and it became normal. Brain saved my arm.

I rarely dream btw unless drunk. So this excited me. I wonder if you had any similar ‘dreams’ ?
    what do you think ?

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to control my brain, but I'm probably in the minority here.

TIM
    ISTP
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your brain interprets the things your body senses. When your body senses something hurting when you're dreaming, it comes up with an explanation. Since you're dreaming it will somehow embed this information in the current dream. So something painful will have an "explanation" in the dream that fits the context. Likely you were in the REM sleep phase where your body and brain are actually fully awake, but the brain is processing mostly itself and your conscious control of the body is switched off, you're basically paralyzed. When this paralysis while REM dreaming doesn't wear off immediately, you get sleep paralysis, and if it doesn't kick in as supposed, you get sleep walking, sleep eating etc. as your body acts out your dreams in reality. That pain your body experiences will eventually jolt you awake so that you can deal with it.

I've experienced this phenomenon maybe a dozen times or so during my life in total, most often it seems to be interpreted as some kind of cat that's scratching and biting my hand (or a lion or a tiger biting off my whole arm). I don't usually dream of those animals but some primitive part of my brain usually goes for that explanation. It could be because I used to roughly play with a cat during my childhood and got a lot of scratches, or it could be some "in-built" instinctive thing, I remember when my daughter had barely learned to speak and woke up from a nightmare crying and saying "maybe the snake bites me", without actually never having seen a snake before.

By the way, the pins and needles painful sensation isn't related to blood flow, it's the nerve(s) becoming pinched (causing numbness) and when it reconnects with the brain it causes that kind of "sensation noise" for a little while. Cut off blood flow would feel as a very cold limb, and that's much more rare since cutting off blood flow requires more pressure and time than pinching a nerve and your body would likely wake you up before anything bad happens. I've only experienced the cold limb thing once, when I had been awake for way too long and slept extremely deeply as a rebound afterwards. Uncommon for healthy persons in normal circumstances, but a doctor friend once told me how some alcoholics could sometimes pass out so badly with cut off blood flow that their limbs would end up amputated.