Thread: Supervision & Expectations

TIM
    IEI-Fe(C)
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Supervision & Expectations

Is the Supervision ITR one where there is generally an initial expectation from either side that the other is the dual?
    Or otherwise is disillusionment after the initial stages of getting to know one another common?

Which side would tend to respect or admire the other more? I feel like the reflex answer would be visee towards visor.
    But I often see that the visor strongly admires the strength of the visee's base (their creative).
    Also, for the visee: the visor's base is something to resent more than anything upon close contact.

TIM
    EII
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to share my personal experience, but I don't think I expect that my supervisee is my dual. Instead, I've always been very attracted to my supervisees, ILEs, because of their Ne. From a not so close psychological distance, their way of bouncing off ideas, exploring different viewpoints, with their playfulness and humour, entertains and resonates with me. I've always thought that they were the kind of people that I wanted to romantically be involved with - the entertaining, 'intellectual' conversationalists.

However, when I get closer to them, I start to feel that (from my perspective) I can't trust the words they say, the promises they make, and get annoyed by their tendency to exaggerate what I see as facts that should be framed in an either black or white manner. I also start to get hurt because of their 'disloyalty', not in the common sense meaning of the word, but more describing the fact that they easily and quickly direct their attention to other people, instead of keeping it on me, which is something I expect someone to do, as I would likewise treat them same - concentrate my attentions on them. In that sense, I guess I'm subconsciously expecting them to do what my dual would do - be straightforward and honest with their words and promises, and be 'attached' to me.

I haven't had much experiences with SEEs, my supervisor, so I can't say much about that.

TIM
    ESI
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experience has been very similar to loopyclouds. Only difference is I wouldn't say that my supervisees start to annoy me at close range. At close contact with my supervisees, I tend to feel disappointed. SLE's want for social admiration and unsettling insensitivity to others makes me recognize that we have different values and I soon distance myself afterwards.

With my supervisor, in close contact, I tend to feel as if they are patronizing me and because of this, I may bear a grudge toward them.

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by persimmonism View Post
    Is the Supervision ITR one where there is generally an initial expectation from either side that the other is the dual?
    No, that is conflict. Supervision is an assymetrical relation where one of the the individuals has a higher psychological "status" than the other. If there is attraction, the supervisee might try to win approval of the supervisor, to no avail. The supervisor will often respond in a way that offends the supervisee (without the supervisor realizing it though, he/she usually thinks the supervisee is being dumb on purpose)

Banned
    Mentioned
    1404 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by persimmonism View Post
    Similar expectations are possible in case of: 1) similar type, 2) similar kind of IR.
    Both cases is not about revising.

> Which side would tend to respect or admire the other more?

Revisor is perceived as having interesting opinions.
    Revised is perceived as problematic. Weak in 1st function of revisor and annoying in 2nd function of revised.

> But I often see that the visor strongly admires the strength of the visee's base

Revisor has 1st function of revised as 2nd, so should not. I often see mistakes in types.

It's possibly when bad IR effects are compensated to some degree by other factors, are lesser noticed until people known badly.
    It's possibly, but rare when with bad IR the perception is much positive and stable. The most common when people are attracted by sexual passion and initially have no significant deals to solve together, do not expect much of serious support from each other. Until the need in friendship abbility is small, while sexual attraction strong to overcome other problems. This may last for years (~3).