Thread: How do you get rid of inferiority complex?

Default How do you get rid of inferiority complex?

My inferiority complex comes back whenever I compare myself to other people especially in terms of intelligence, I often feel like I'm too stupid to live. It's such a draining feeling to have, some questions for you:

1. What do you think is the cause of inferiority complex?
    2. What do you suggest on how to cure inferiority complex?
    3. Can it be curable for good? Is it depending on the individual?

context is king
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Master an art or a topic which is sufficiently intellectually demanding, or make loads of money.

So if someone tried to make you feel stupid, you'll know that your in depth knowledge of Persian poetry pales in comparison to anything they could possibly know.
    ἀταραξία

The belief that you are separate?

Not feeling separate?

I think it is possible to not feel separate without drugs

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know how you feel. I often feel like I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed, either. But you sound pretty introspective, and I believe introspective people tend to be more self-aware and (to some extent) wiser, if not smarter. So I’m sure you’re not as lacking in intelligence as you may fear.

1. I’m not sure what the cause of inferiority complex is, but as Kalinoche suggested, perhaps one possible cause is the belief that you are separate. Furthermore, perhaps it’s also a lack of deeper acknowledgement that we all have inherent worth, including our own selves. Perhaps we hold ourselves to unrealistic standards. We also tend to not view ourselves accurately, and if we’ve had any influential people in our lives (especially early in our youths) who often made us feel stupid or otherwise inferior, that might warp our self-image, as well.

2. I’m trying to figure this one out, as well. Some people have suggested that you just gotta fake it until you make it—in other words, pretend you’re confident and that you think you’re worth it, and eventually you’ll believe it. I’m not sure if I can manage this approach, to be honest, but I can try. I think you also have to realize that everyone is human and messes up all the time, even if they don’t show it. You’re no better, you’re no worse.

3. I think an inferiority complex can be curable for good, provided that the person is introspective enough and open to changing their ways of thinking and seeing themselves/the world. Anything is possible, right?

It might be more common for people with inferiority complexes who have been “cured” to regress back into the complex every now and then. For most people struggling with an inferiority complex, I believe it’s a matter of push and pull, or like a game of tug of war. You constantly have to be tugging toward the end that will push you forward, the end that gives you confidence. Sometimes the complex tugs harder all of a sudden and you’re plummeted back into self-loathing, but then you just have to remember your worth and tug back even harder.

I hope this made sense. And I hope you can overcome this!!
    Last edited by kuno; 11-30-2022 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Fixed typos

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wanderingsoul View Post

I think both external and internal cause this, individual probably gets a message from external that suggests that they are inferior and they accept and internalize this, define themselves that way.

But, different people can went through similar things and have different kind of response, mindset. So person is itself is important in this equation.

If it is on specific subjects, person can improve themselves and be ok with the thing that they think they lack. I think trying to look from objective standpoint is good, noone is great at everything and they live and sometimes get in to places that are better than people who are great at things and appreciated more etc.

If it is very rooted, like if it started from childhood and continued after 20s, it can be very difficult to completely get rid off.

Other people, some circumstances can eliminate this for some limited time. But when that happens, it seems like it shifts to superior complex because inferior complex is still there but in other form. And then inferior complex take over.

So accepting yourself and others a bit more, changing the whole mindset rather than shifting in the same spectrum helps, but only the person itself can change this for real.

TIM
    H 694 sp/sx
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make me remember There’s a time I’m in a place full of ST chads and I feel like an idiot when people around are just so capable and masculine.

Lucky I’m too self center to feel sorry for being an idiot/useless to others, instead I change my way of thinking and think about how those ST useful to me …

Feel better around NF SF where my Ts have some uses…

But fuck ST anyway…

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. small dicks.
    2. become cuck.
    3. incurable. cuck for lyfe.

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalinoche buenanoche View Post

The belief that you are separate?

Not feeling separate?

I think it is possible to not feel separate without drugs
    What do you mean by separate and how does that influence this. Do you mean that you get the fruit of everyone's efforts so you shouldn't be mad they're better than you at something?

TIM
    ref to ptr to self
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I think there is some illusion caused by the emotional shock of feeling inferior that clouds your actual perception of yourself. Your previous view of yourself is replaced by an imposed image (the unconscious imagining of how you are perceived from outside, even if you have no evidence outside of one person). Strengthen the ability of the prior view to assert itself by paying conscious attention to where it believes its strengths are and learning where you can solidly keep your view of your strengths/where they actually are. You may still feel caught out and embarassed from time to time but you will restore your frame of reference more quickly if you know the shock is temporary and you are no one's man/woman but your own.

I don't like to mention socionics for many things but this is one area where the idea of basing your ego on the things you are good at providing for the benefit of society is useful. Strengths in this area tend to be more solidly kept and impervious to outside influence. If you focus on things that so completely overflow in you that you hardly need them for yourself and freely give them to others, you shouldn't have this problem as much.

TIM
    EIE-Ni-H 359
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Comparison is the thief of joy.”

I think constant social comparisons and self-monitoring are the main contributors to inferiority complexes. It’s especially the hyper-focus on perceived deficiencies that make us feel inferior. Other people and outside factors, can help reinforce that, but it’s ultimately where we put our mental and emotional energies that dictate how much it’s going to influence us.
    Last edited by EIE H; 12-02-2022 at 03:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ouronis View Post
    What do you mean by separate and how does that influence this. Do you mean that you get the fruit of everyone's efforts so you shouldn't be mad they're better than you at something?
    Yes, this is something that can be seen in a case-by-case way so that it is not held as an abstract hippie idea. I think that since typology and questions like OP's are related to the idea of the self, it might be beneficial to put on the table approaches that may seem more radical (for lack of a better word, since all is relative imo).
    On that basis, seeing that one is not separate can mean e.g. realizing they are not the felt contraction in the body (behind the eyes for most people?) that projects/owns thoughts. I think that the word 'realization' is usually taken to mean 'to see reality' (in an instant, ground-breaking, unshakable way for some or gradually and imperceptibly) but i prefer to see it as a shift in perspective (maybe due to my experience so far).
    Last edited by Kalinoche buenanoche; 12-02-2022 at 10:13 AM.

Fuck this toxic snake pit Fluffy Princess Unicorn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My inferiority complex comes back whenever I compare myself to other people especially in terms of intelligence, I often feel like I'm too stupid to live. It's such a draining feeling to have, some questions for you:

There's really not a short/simple answer to this, but you partially answered your own question: When do you feel inferior? When you compare yourself to others. Stop comparing yourself to them. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

What do you mainly feel inferior about? Your intelligence. That pretty much tells me that A) You place a lot of value on intelligence. Why? What makes it so important to you? Is it that you've been judged harshly? Get to the bottom of it, find the root cause. Sometimes we simply need to heal from some experiences that prevent us from loving ourselves. It also tells me that B) You're evaluating your self-worth based on your achievements/abilities. You have certain expectations for yourself (especially in the things you value, ie intelligence), and if you don't meet those expectations, your self-worth suffers. Why do you expect so much from yourself? Why is it so important for you to be super great in this area? Did you grow up with this expectation placed on you? Were you shown love because of what you achieved, rather than being given unconditional love? Take some time to search for, and discover, the good qualities and traits you have, the things you are able to like about yourself, then think about whether everyone is super great in those things. The answer is going to be no: you have things others don't, and others have things you don't. Everyone is different, and that's okay. It's partly a matter of broadening your vision instead of having a tunnel-vision-like fixation on intelligence. See the value in other things, see the value in your own self, and then you will more easily accept yourself as you are.

3. Can it be curable for good?
    Yes, it's curable for good. The key is to basically retrain your brain to think differently. You have to gain self-awareness so that you can consciously make different choices rather than defaulting to the unconscious choices you're habitually making. Basically, you're retraining your mind to form different habits that replace the old ones that feed to the inferiority complex.

Is it depending on the individual?
    Yes and no. There will be variances and nuances that differ, but in general it all comes from the same underlying patterns. The cause (and therefore the cure) might have some differences, such as the origin, relevant experiences, what a person feels inferior about, etc. but the thinking patterns are mostly the same. So, for instance...someone might have gotten it from the ways they were treated in childhood causing them to form certain habits, expectations, etc. pertaining to...IDK, their neuroticism levels or something, while another got it from coworkers treating them poorly at work due to some severe ADHD issues, so they feel inferior in intelligence. Both of these people in these examples need to heal, but each of them must heal from different experiences which need to be dealt with in different ways. However, both of their healing is a key aspect for developing self-love, self-acceptance, etc.
    Last edited by Fluffy Princess Unicorn; 12-24-2022 at 06:52 AM.

TIM
    ESI-H 936 Sp
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's determined by your hormonal profile and upbringing. There are so many guys where I'm from who superficially have less going for them than I do who've never once doubted themselves because they're just bursting out of the seams with testosterone and probably developed thick skin from getting roasted by their siblings growing up while sharing a room in a tiny apartment and having to grow up fast. Meanwhile, I was a C-section baby, was fairly coddled/spoiled growing up and was an only child, so it was pretty much inevitable that I would grow up to be a dweeb who hates himself
    Last edited by Averroes; 12-24-2022 at 01:47 PM.