View Poll Results: Which type is the most likely to overuse the word "basically"?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • LII

0 0%
  • ILE

2 66.67%
  • SEI

0 0%
  • ESE

0 0%
  • LSI

0 0%
  • SLE

0 0%
  • IEI

0 0%
  • EIE

0 0%
  • LIE

0 0%
  • ILI

1 33.33%
  • SEE

0 0%
  • ESI

0 0%
  • LSE

0 0%
  • SLI

0 0%
  • IEE

0 0%
  • EII

0 0%

Thread: Which type is most likely to overuse the word "basically"?

TIM
    ILE-H
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Which type is most likely to overuse the word "basically"?

Which type is most likely to overuse the word "basically"?
    [Today 03:36 AM] anotherperson: this forum feels like the edge of the internet

in dire need of needing life Fransiskus's Avatar
    TIM
    IEI-Ni | INFJ | 6w5
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What kind of question is this lol. I also think you should've posted this on "General Socionics Discussion" instead of here unless it is related to your quest in finding your type. @PrelapsarianAdam

Okay so basically, since there are no research about this kind of thing we probably had to come up with our own theories. I will ignore the term "overuse" and come in more to the general sense.

1. Definition of "basically":
    in the most essential respects; fundamentally. used to indicate that a statement summarizes the most important aspects, or gives a roughly accurate account, of a more complex situation. - Google

From that alone, I think we can come to the conclusion that "basically" is used to "explain" something in the general sense. So my first bet would be a logical type. Not that ethical type couldn't, but I think logical type would be more likely to explain something in a concise, articulate way by "summing it up". Let's discuss this one later on.

2. Introvert/Extrovert:

It is obvious that extroverts speaks a lot more. So extroverts.

This is with the assumption that a type overuse the word "basically" in real life, in which you didn't provide the details, so let's argue more on this one:

a. What about online?
    It is a whole different story online such as texts or email. But let's not forget that most emails uses formal language, and 'basically' is informal. So an introvert would have to use formal language while using emails.
    Much more complex when it comes to online messaging applications, such as Discord, WhatsApp etc.

But based on the "observations", it looks like an introvert would much prefer type in a detailed message compared to an Extrovert, which the latter is more likely to "sum it all up", which is again, most of the time uses the word 'basically'
    There are still arguments and evidences that introverts would prefer communication to be quick, and concise which is contradictory to what I said. So for now, let's just give extroverts a win here.
    Please take this with a grain of salt :v

3. Rational/Irrational

This one is more difficult to imagine and think about. I'm pretty sure this has minuscule effect, but let's give it a go.

Gulenko said: "rationalists have a good command of the speech and auditory communication channel. They clearly formulate and sequentially unfold their thoughts in speech or on paper." https://socioniks.net/article/?id=7

So I think rationals are more inclined to explain something and to reach a conclusion by summing it all up, so more "basically's" in comparison to irrationals.

4. Logic/Ethics

Even more dificult. I think both are equal in terms of how often they said the word 'basically". But again, let's give it a go.

Logical types are inclined to use the word 'basically' in things like:
    - So basically all the information you gave meant that...
    - Basically X is Z right?
    - Basically what it mean is...

Ethical types are inclined to use the word 'basically' in social terms, like:
    - So basically, he/she said...
    - Basically he/she's a [adjective]
    - So basically what you mean is...

This is a close one since I cannot narrow such vague question into one single type. So both

5. Sensing/Intuitive

I'll give this one a go for intuitives since they're quick to jump into conclusions more often than not. What I mean is that sensors are more likely to look out for the details, on the concrete before jumping or intuitively leaps into a conclusion which lead to "summing it all up"

This is a weak argument I know, but just for the sake of it.

6. IE's

We haven't even discussed Fe, Ni etc and their possibility.
    Let's come into a quick conclusion now.

7. Conclusion

In theory:
    1. LIE / EIE
    2. LSE / ESE

In practice:
    The truth is... It is probably much different irl. I feel like Fe user are more likely to speak, therefore more chance to use the word 'basically'. Besides, I think the social world is more active "verbally", so ethical type here has more potential aswell.
    Extroverts probably still take the higher ranks though.

Theory is all good and done until it fails in practice. So we needed an actual observation to gain more evidence.
    So for now, I still have no idea...

TIM
    IEI-Ni H946
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember them telling us not to use it at school. I use it, why not. It’s useful for pointing about basic ni truths. Basic ni truths can be a bit boring and limiting though.

It doesn't really bother me because it may indicate a base-touching orientation even when it is used on shaky grounds context-wise. I don't think it hurts to bear in mind that language is limited (you may want to look at notions such as 'logocentrism' if you are into philosophy).

Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Literally who cares

TIM
    LII
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NeTi vocabulary IMO, I see Alpha NTs using it a lot

What's the purpose of SEI? Tallmo's Avatar
    TIM
    SEI
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's basically Ti related. I think I overuse it sometimes.
    The decisive thing is not the reality of the object, but the reality of the subjective factor, i.e. the primordial images, which in their totality represent a psychic mirror-world. It is a mirror, however, with the peculiar capacity of representing the present contents of consciousness not in their known and customary form but in a certain sense sub specie aeternitatis, somewhat as a million-year old consciousness might see them.

(Jung on Si)

Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Ti vocabulary, I think.

TIM
    EIE-Ni-H 359
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Introverted judgers, depending on the subject.

May look like an LSI, but -Te. Metaphor's Avatar
    TIM
    Te-LIE-NH
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alpha NT's. But I mostly notice this in ILEs. Otherwise, it's just Ne + Ti by usage so anyone can constantly use it.
    And therefore, it's not related to types utmost, but rather the usage strength of these elements that are involved.
    Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel: "The history of the world is none other than the progress of the consciousness of freedom."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm Ti and I do, but only when I have to stress that I'm being general and not applying universal statements that apply to all things in all ways...so it depends on who I'm talking to and whether or not I think they are going to focus on that. So online where it's easy to misinterpret or just be kind of a dick, I have stress these words a lot...but I don't use them a lot in person.