Thread: Sex Abuse Scandal in the Catholic Church

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is not any mention in there of rape, so... keep trying.
    And that bit on pedophilia looks like misguided speculation, bad translations, or the ignoring of context put out by some like-minded dogmatic atheist to me.
    Last edited by DogOfDanger; 09-27-2022 at 03:09 PM.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DogOfDanger View Post
    There is not any mention in there of rape, so... keep trying.
    But yes, once again if we just imagine it is your offspring that we're killing here I think it makes sense that even God himself may ordain this be done. After all, this is the dawn of civilization, and if your seed is allowed to spread it permanently alters the course of humanity. We'd be basically flushing the world and humanities future down the tubes by allowing you to spread your seed, so...
    I literally pointed out to you before that God expected victims to marry their rapists rather than the rapists to be punished.

Now you are saying that committing genocide and enslaving all the remaining virgin women that they caught after lying in wait is not rape.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    I literally pointed out to you before that God expected victims to marry their rapists rather than the rapists to be punished.
    The passage actually says something like... if the woman doesn't scream then we'll assume it wasn't rape, therefor they must be married. So no, it doesn't actually say "you must marry your rapist", this is just another desperate attempt here.

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    Now you are saying that committing genocide and enslaving all the remaining virgin women that they caught after lying in wait is not rape.
    It is essentially treating the women as if they were being traded like cattle or some other kind of potted good or plant, but no, it is not rape. And this is how women were traded back then, so.... oh well, not my problem.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DogOfDanger View Post
    The passage actually says something like... if the woman doesn't scream then we'll assume it wasn't rape, therefor they must be married. So no, it doesn't actually say "you must marry your rapist", this is just another desperate attempt here.
    Not true, it says:
    25 But if out in the country a man happens to meet a young woman pledged to be married and rapes her, only the man who has done this shall die. 26 Do nothing to the woman; she has committed no sin deserving death. This case is like that of someone who attacks and murders a neighbor, 27 for the man found the young woman out in the country, and though the betrothed woman screamed, there was no one to rescue her.
    "WE KNOW it was rape, we're going to force the woman to marry the rapist and let the rapist live". In other instances, women were killed for not being able to prove they were virgins.

13 If a man takes a wife and, after sleeping with her, dislikes her 14 and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, “I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,” 15 then the young woman’s father and mother shall bring to the town elders at the gate proof that she was a virgin. 16 Her father will say to the elders, “I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. 17 Now he has slandered her and said, ‘I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.’ But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.” Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, 18 and the elders shall take the man and punish him. 19 They shall fine him a hundred shekels[b] of silver and give them to the young woman’s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.

20 If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the young woman’s virginity can be found, 21 she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death. She has done an outrageous thing in Israel by being promiscuous while still in her father’s house. You must purge the evil from among you.

22 If a man is found sleeping with another man’s wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die. You must purge the evil from Israel.

23 If a man happens to meet in a town a virgin pledged to be married and he sleeps with her, 24 you shall take both of them to the gate of that town and stone them to death—the young woman because she was in a town and did not scream for help, and the man because he violated another man’s wife. You must purge the evil from among you.

25 But if out in the country a man happens to meet a young woman pledged to be married and rapes her, only the man who has done this shall die. 26 Do nothing to the woman; she has committed no sin deserving death. This case is like that of someone who attacks and murders a neighbor, 27 for the man found the young woman out in the country, and though the betrothed woman screamed, there was no one to rescue her.

28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels[c] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

30 A man is not to marry his father’s wife; he must not dishonor his father’s bed.
    https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...22&version=NIV

Basically, the rape is treated as a property crime, against the woman's father or husband.