Thread: Sex Abuse Scandal in the Catholic Church

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subteigh View Post
    - Numbers 30:15-18

Do you approve of killing the children of your enemies and raping your virgin female enemies?
    That's Moses speaking, not God... and the word rape wasn't used here, so... this is actually more like treating women as trade-goods. Women were pretty much traded like cattle back in these days, so... just you being disingenuous as usual.
    As I said earlier, if we can imagine this were your offspring, and this were way back then, I actually think it would be best for the world if we killed off as much of your seed as possible so that it didn't spread and ultimately infect the world and destroy everything. In this sense you could say Moses is doing the world a favor. So yes, I actually am fine with this sort of thing.
    I don't think it lives up to the universal ideal, but again this is not God speaking, this is Moses, so keep trying.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DogOfDanger View Post
    That's Moses speaking, not God... and the word rape isn't used here, this is actually be more like treating women as trade-goods. Women were pretty much traded like cattle back in these days, so...
    As I said earlier, if we can imagine this were your offspring, and this were way back then, I actually think it would be best for the world if we killed off as much of your seed as possible so that it didn't spread and ultimately infect the world and destroy everything. In this sense you could say Moses is doing the world a favor. So yes, I actually am fine with this sort of thing.
    I don't think it lives up to the universal ideal, but again this is not God speaking, this is Moses, so keep trying.
    There are a lot of such instructions that come straight from "God" in the bible.

Are you saying you're better than "God"? A low bar, but better than nothing I guess.

Banned
    TIM
    Heretic
    Mentioned
    151 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I said earlier, if we can imagine this were your offspring, and this were way back then, I actually think it would be best for the world if we killed off as much of your seed as possible so that it didn't spread and ultimately infect the world and destroy everything.

TIM
    TMI
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

That's Moses speaking, not God... and the word rape wasn't used here, so... this is actually be more like treating women as trade-goods. Women were pretty much traded like cattle back in these days, so... just you being disingenuous as usual.
    Only a few passages on from this:

25 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

26 Take the sum of the prey that was taken, both of man and of beast, thou, and Eleazar the priest, and the chief fathers of the congregation:

27 And divide the prey into two parts; between them that took the war upon them, who went out to battle, and between all the congregation:

28 And levy a tribute unto the Lord of the men of war which went out to battle: one soul of five hundred, both of the persons, and of the beeves, and of the asses, and of the sheep:

29 Take it of their half, and give it unto Eleazar the priest, for an heave offering of the LORD.

30 And of the children of Israel's half, thou shalt take one portion of fifty, of the persons, of the beeves, of the asses, and of the flocks, of all manner of beasts, and give them unto the Levites, which keep the charge of the tabernacle of the LORD.

31 And Moses and Eleazar the priest did as the LORD commanded Moses.

32 And the booty, being the rest of the prey which the men of war had caught, was six hundred thousand and seventy thousand and five thousand sheep,

33 And threescore and twelve thousand beeves,

34 And threescore and one thousand asses,

35 And thirty and two thousand persons in all, of women that had not known man by lying with him.
    - Numbers 30:25-35