Thread: Thoughts on the “Inflation Reduction Act of 2022”?

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ipbanned View Post
    My experience is limited to the 90s and early 00s and I haven't been back to America since then
    The culture has gotten dramatically worse and the country much more divided since the 90s / 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by ipbanned View Post
    That said, I don't think the whole system in America is corrupt, but yeah.
    Corruption and greed are often used as catch-all explanations. People want to feel like they understand things, even if they have no context on them. It's stupid, but it's the norm.
    Politicians vote the ways they do for all kinds of reasons... to appeal to constituencies or to the general public; to satisfy some deranged, half formed opinions they have; because a different vote wouldn't effect the outcome; to make political allies to advance other causes, because this is how the system is set up currently... etc. Or in alot of cases the vote may be perfectly reasonable given a full understanding of the issue, but just happen to rile up the toddlers in the public who involve themselves in politics (of which there are far too many).

TIM
    ENTJ-1Te 8w7 sx/so
    Mentioned
    1603 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DogOfDanger View Post
    The culture has gotten dramatically worse and the country much more divided since the 90s / 2000s.

Corruption and greed are often used as catch-all explanations. People want to feel like they understand things, even if they have no context on them. It's stupid, but it's the norm.
    Politicians vote the ways they do for all kinds of reasons... to appeal to constituencies or to the general public; to satisfy some deranged, half formed opinions they have; because a different vote wouldn't effect the outcome; to make political allies to advance other causes, because this is how the system is set up currently... etc. Or in alot of cases the vote may be perfectly reasonable given a full understanding of the issue, but just happen to rile up the toddlers in the public who involve themselves in politics (of which there are far too many).
    https://www.motherjones.com/politics...tion-fox-news/

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Strange View Post
    Case in point, people acting like toddlers and involving themselves in politics - refusing to reason, characterizing the opposition with slogans, being entrenched in their shallow partisan viewpoints, etc. I was actually one of the strongest opponents I knew to Bush during the Bush years, I've also been very strongly against the anti-vaccine hysteria, and generally am an independent, but because this moron needs a way of explaining away contrary opinions, to maintain his sense of partisan inner harmony, he has to resort to this.

It's rare in the US to find a political discussion that isn't completely dominated by this sort of idiocy.
    Last edited by DogOfDanger; 07-30-2022 at 01:22 PM.